BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

Do I sell the 1M for a V10 R8???

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a little advice... I've been looking at R8's lately and it looks like I can get into a v10 with a manual for close to 100k. I've driven the V8 on track and was impressed with the dynamics, but not the straight line speed. I'm thinking the V10 with a tune would rectify that.

So here's the issue. I love my 1M. I took delivery in Europe with my girlfriend and did a 10 day drive where I got engaged. I told myself the car was a keeper for life. 11k miles later I still love the car, my wife and our new baby. So there is some serious sentimental value here.

That being said... This year I just haven't put any miles on her. I don't drive her to work and she stays covered up unless its a weekend. I see the values of the cars are still mid to high 50's, so I'm wondering if I should sell her now before I put her away for the winter (it snows in Buffalo!) and then pick up the R8 in the spring.

I've owned a lot of cars and I think the 1M is very special. I guess the question is do you guys think the R8 is special enough to replace it?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

If it's going to be your only car, I should keep the 1M. Also because your kid has more space in the back of the 1M

R8 V10 is marvellous, but also look at the maintenance costs/Insurance. And how many miles you will put on it per year? More than the 1M? A lot more? Why is that? (just technically spoken) And think about those running costs.

Just like me you should already know, a good set of proper WINTERtyres won't keep the 1M in your garage

R8 V10 is another league, but you know there are only 740 1M in the States....

(If it was for me I'd look for cousin Gallardo, j/k)

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
One35iMT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M Package 6M/T

I prefer R8 just because of design.
I'll go for R8 if i money to buy it and maintain.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

choices,, choices.
      11-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

My sister has one. Honestly, it is too fast to have any kind of fun on the street with it, and holy crap does it go through tires on the track.

Oh, and yes, she has a baby seat on the right in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
If it's going to be your only car, I should keep the 1M. Also because your kid has more space in the back of the 1M

R8 V10 is marvellous, but also look at the maintanence costs. And how many miles you wil put on it per year? More than the 1M? A lot more? Why is that? (just technically spoken) And think about the costs.

R8 V10 is another league, but you know there are only 740 1M in the States....

If it was for me I'd look for cousin Gallardo

Cheers
Robin
I spoke with my mechanic who was a lambo head tech in the past and he said that aside from the nuisance of working on a mid-engine car, they are bulletproof. He takes care of 5 R8's locally and has never had any issues.

As for only car, my daily driver is an S5, so I could throw her in the back of that if necessary.

The Gallardo is a little too loud for me, and I had a chance to track one and I had to hunch over for my head to fit with a helmet.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
My sister has one. Honestly, it is too fast to have any kind of fun on the street with it, and holy crap does it go through tires on the track.
This is a good point... I didn't realize it, but when I drove my friend's modded 997tt I left thinking the car was just too fast to have fun on the street. 3rd gear had me thinking of jail time haha. I hadn't thought of the R8 is the same way.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow///1 View Post
I spoke with my mechanic who was a lambo head tech in the past and he said that aside from the nuisance of work on a mid-engine. He takes care of 5 R8's locally and thinks they're bulletproof.

As for only car, my daily driver is an S5, so I could throw her in the back of that if necessary.

The Gallardo is a little too loud for me, and I had a chance to track one and I had to hunch over for my head to fit with a helmet.
Aha I see.

Well it's your call. Enjoy whatever car you wiil choose, meaning: Put some miles on any of those machines if possible

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

And in a couple of years, what will you be replacing the R8 with

Neil

P.S. Keep the 1M!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow///1 View Post
This is a good point... I didn't realize it, but when I drove my friend's modded 997tt I left thinking the car was just too fast to have fun on the street. 3rd gear had me thinking of jail time haha. I hadn't thought of the R8 is the same way.
Ya, first gear is fun, shift........and that's it. Unless you want to go to jail. And unless you are really pushing it, it almost feels like you are just driving an A6. May sound crazy, but I think it just drives TOO well.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Oh, and yes, she has a baby seat on the right in it.
well said.
      11-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i've driven an R8 V10 and i think it's an amazing car......but completely impractical, in a 'supercar' category so you really can't just drive it around so easily without attracting a ton of attention......and in terms of a 'keeper'.....you either love a car or you don't. deciding what is a 'keeper' shouldn't be the way to do it. If you love the car you should keep it....if you don't, then you should ditch it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Kevinovski
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Never replace your BMW for an audi!!! And DEFINITELY not a 1M!!!! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
titancrusher1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Jet Black 135i

If you're not driving it, what makes you think you'd drive the R8. Its ok, we all fall out of love in life, but that being said: this is the car you experienced some serious things with. Imagine the long term Family value. Do you want your kid to say "my dads R8 when i was little" or "My Dad's 1M". a V10 R8 is something special but not a cool small family car. Guess it depends on what YOU want. Just make sure to pass off that 1M to a person who will take care of it if you want to offload it. im sure plenty of people on here would kill to have a chance at it
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Keep the 1m and go on alot more holidays with the family .

Booya thats what i would do!Then maybe after the baby is grown up abit id get one haha!

Pretty vlippen sick audi comercial!

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
And in a couple of years, what will you be replacing the R8 with

Neil

P.S. Keep the 1M!
ha! I predict major buyers remorse when the R8 goes up for sale.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinovski View Post
Never replace your BMW for an audi!!!
WOW. no doubt. post of the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I have driven both extensively and if you could afford the R8 in addition I would say go for it. If not, keep the 1M, R8's will always be around. I love the R8 and think it would be a great DD even, but I can't afford one, to me the 1M is more fun to drive/toss around but the R8 V10 sounds great, looks amazing and I just like them. Also given how rarely you drive your 1M, think how little you would drive the R8 since you can't fit your family in it. The kicker to me would also be the sentimental value, if I did ED and proposed to my wife on that trip it would forever hold value for me and would never get rid of it because of how much I would love telling people the story, especially the future family members.

Cliff Notes - KEEP IT
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Your heart knows the answer.

My head says that money no object, the R8 is a far superior car. It has a breadth of ability very few cars can match: the ride and comfort of a great GT, awesome all weather ability with its 4wd, the handling of a sports car and the engine note and image of an exotic. It will outperform a 1M in nearly every way, and that's before you modify it. A friend has a V10 with a supercharger, and it will lay stripes for 100 meters from all four wheels at the autocross, really a Veyron in disguise.

The 1M is a glorified econobox by comparison. It's a parts bin car, largely a chipped 135i, and many of the parts it does have are wanting. Look under the rear suspension and you'll see stamped steel arms and subframe, not the beautiful aluminum of the audi, betraying its entry level roots. The 3L is an average motor these days, certainly no match for the high revving V10, and the suspension tuning was done in a hurry and it shows.

My head knows all this, and if I could only own one "toy" something like the R8 might tempt me. However my heart has a soft spot for the Jekyll and Hyde parts bin hooligan. Both are great cars, so on some level you can't go wrong either way.
      11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

You can't go wrong either way, I love the 1M, but an R8 is no comparison in my books performance wise. The R8 screams power, and assuming your 1M is a weekend ride, an R8 would be a more amazing weekend car. However, the 1M will be far more versatile and with such low production numbers, I think it would be silly to get rid of it, as it truly is a beast of its own.

MMMMM V10. That sound is like an angel whispering sweet dirty secrets in my ear, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

The 1M is a hooligan's car - its raw, not grownup, and begs you to drive the snot out of it at every opportunity. Since is rare and shaped like a box with crazy fender flares, air intakes, and a massive ass, it will always get the respect of an enthusiast and will be overlooked by the regular driver (especially in non VO livery). In many ways its a "poor man's" GT3.

An R8 on the otherhand is a sophisticated, high class, debutante of a car. It has gracious curves, sounds like sex, and is technologically advanced in every way possible; its a halo car for Audi - hell its Iron Man's car. The R8 will get attention from everyone except for Lambo drivers (who think of it is a copy) and enthusiasts will highly respect the V10 stick model as a "last of its kind." Unlike the 1M, the R8 will scream to everyone (except for those few that drive Italian bulls and horses) that you "have arrived" to financial success.

While both are great cars, I personally would keep the 1M as it is the type of car that is rarely made these days where marketers and the almighty dollar trump all.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Let's be real R8 V10 is in a different league. That is a damn sexy car with an amazing exhaust note.
Car for car... If I was deciding between the 1M and R8V10 I'd do the switch. Since its a weekend car why not make it an R8.

Buuuuut, sentimental value is something only you can put a value on and sounds like some pretty great moments.

L1MTD

Appreciate 0