BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

N52 Tune "Lean Burn"

Do any of you know a good custom tuner? I want them to tune my car so it runs high AFR when I am cruising, known as "lean burn".

Last edited by 11; 10-22-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad1776 View Post
Do any of you know a good custom tuner? I want them to tune my car so it runs very low AFR when I am cruising, known as "lean burn".
Low AFR is fuel-rich, but I understand what you're saying. Why do you want to do this? I don't think running lean is advisable with an aluminum cylinder head, and with catalytic converters (they won't heat up as quickly).
      10-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Low AFR is fuel-rich, but I understand what you're saying. Why do you want to do this? I don't think running lean is advisable with an aluminum cylinder head, and with catalytic converters (they won't heat up as quickly).
I want to save fuel, and I will be getting headers and removing all cats. According to engineering explained they don't run hot and many other vehicles with aluminum cylinder heads run lean burn so I don't see aluminum cylinder head being a problem unless you referring to something else. And yes I ment high afr

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Yes you can do this. The car has wideband O2 stock, and at low power levels where the lean burn would actually be implemented there is a huge amount of headroom for what the hardware can tolerate.

On the other hand you won't really gain that much MPG. You would need to look into something called "stratified injection" for that, which your 128i doesn't even support. If you are truly interested in greater fuel economy, aerodynamic mods that make the car look like a fish will yield much much greater gains. Google is your friend there--"hypermiling aero". Also, low rolling resistance tires will give a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Yes you can do this. The car has wideband O2 stock, and at low power levels where the lean burn would actually be implemented there is a huge amount of headroom for what the hardware can tolerate.

On the other hand you won't really gain that much MPG. You would need to look into something called "stratified injection" for that, which your 128i doesn't even support. If you are truly interested in greater fuel economy, aerodynamic mods that make the car look like a fish will yield much much greater gains. Google is your friend there--"hypermiling aero". Also, low rolling resistance tires will give a little bit.
Do you know anyone who can custom tune for me?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

"128i ecu tune" on google turns up a list of the likely suspects who can tell you that. Keep your expectations reasonable. Lean burn will likely save you such a small amount of gas that it will take a long time just to break even with the cost of the tune.

Also you should have just bought an older Honda.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post

Do you know anyone who can custom tune for me?
I don't think the N52 has fuel control mapping that will allow specific fuel trims at specific RPMs.

Even if it did, the gains would be minimal at best. The valvetronic system does a really good job keeping pumping losses to a minimum.

Biggest MPH gains you can make is tire selection and pressure. Of course your right foot has an impact. Speed is a big factor as well. Using my right foot carefully, I could best cruise control. Yes, the commute became that monotonous.

I commuted my N52 for years at 92 miles per day. Did my own tuning and tried a few tricks. Tire pressure always yielded the best gains.

Try pinging hassmachine, he know these DMEs better than anyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I don't think the N52 has fuel control mapping that will allow specific fuel trims at specific RPMs.

Even if it did, the gains would be minimal at best. The valvetronic system does a really good job keeping pumping losses to a minimum.

Biggest MPH gains you can make is tire selection and pressure. Of course your right foot has an impact. Speed is a big factor as well. Using my right foot carefully, I could best cruise control. Yes, the commute became that monotonous.

I commuted my N52 for years at 92 miles per day. Did my own tuning and tried a few tricks. Tire pressure always yielded the best gains.

Try pinging hassmachine, he know these DMEs better than anyone.
how do i find "hassmachine" is that a person, company or what?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
how do i find "hassmachine" is that a person, company or what?
He's a user here, I'll tag him

hassmaschine
      10-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

You're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You'll put more time and effort into this silly idea that may or may not work than you will ever save in fuel.
      10-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
You're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You'll put more time and effort into this silly idea that may or may not work than you will ever save in fuel.
+1

Hassmachine isn't gonna spend time looking into this.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

if you let your foot off the gas (especially going down hills) you'll get better mileage
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0