BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
3M Installers in DC/NoVA/MD

I am thinking about getting the film applied and wanted recommendations. I have read some about how some installers wrap the edges to hide them. Anyone know of any quality 3M installers in the DC area that do this? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick1491 View Post
I am thinking about getting the film applied and wanted recommendations. I have read some about how some installers wrap the edges to hide them. Anyone know of any quality 3M installers in the DC area that do this? Thanks.
Not sure about wrapping the edges, but I took my 3 series to driven dynamics and they put on 3M film, it looks great and I haven't had any issues.
      06-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

I sent you a PM with my friend's contact info. Just to make sure you know, wrapping the edges is a usually a custom job and requires a lot more time. Most places use a standard pre-cut kit which is a lot less expensive and does leave the edges exposed (about 1/8 to 1/32 of an inch). Wrapping the edges usually calls for a handcut wrap that the installer does himself.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies!

I was chatting with a guy at an auto body shop yesterday about the 3M films. He seemed to indicate that they always yellowed and had a very finite lifespan. If that is the case, I definitely do not want it. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Some yellow and some don't; really depends how much UV exposure it gets. If its kept in a garage most of the time, prob won't be an issue.

Make sure to read what is covered under warranty when you get this done. Some places cover product only, and some cover both labor and product.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
Some yellow and some don't; really depends how much UV exposure it gets. If its kept in a garage most of the time, prob won't be an issue.

Make sure to read what is covered under warranty when you get this done. Some places cover product only, and some cover both labor and product.

Any idea the longevity you might expect to get out of the film before it yellows, assuming the car is parked in an underground garage when at home, but in an lot during the week? And do you feel the risk of future yellowing after a few years (assuming it can last that long) is worth the cost, given the protection it provides? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick1491 View Post
Any idea the longevity you might expect to get out of the film before it yellows, assuming the car is parked in an underground garage when at home, but in an lot during the week? And do you feel the risk of future yellowing after a few years (assuming it can last that long) is worth the cost, given the protection it provides? Thanks.
I've had clear bras on my last 3 BMWs and none have yellowed. My x5 has had it on for 8 years now. It all depends on how much time it spends getting hit with UV rays, but many of the newer products now don't yellow.

Personally, if it turns yellow, I'll get a new one. Its primarily there to prevent rock chips and always my first mod when I get a new car.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Boomstick1491
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
I've had clear bras on my last 3 BMWs and none have yellowed. My x5 has had it on for 8 years now. It all depends on how much time it spends getting hit with UV rays, but many of the newer products now don't yellow.

Personally, if it turns yellow, I'll get a new one. Its primarily there to prevent rock chips and always my first mod when I get a new car.
How much were your films and what areas did you cover? I assume you went to your friend in Herndon to whom you referred me before?

What is your assessment of the worth of getting this done on a car that is not new from the factory, but new to me, and only has a few minor rock chips?

Also, what is the prep for this? I presume I would want to have the surfaces to which the film will be applied clayed, polished, and waxed before. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

I usually cover the front hood, front bumper, side mirrors, and rear top bumper. I don't get the edges rolled, so its usually $600-800, although that was a few years ago. Could be more now.

If you already have rock chips, it's best to either touch it up or re-spray. Installers will prep it, but wash and clay is mandatory.

Appreciate 0