BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

CS1 Concept Car at the 2002 Geneva Motor Show

The playful look of the newest BMW convertible

The world debut of the CS1 Concept Car at the 2002 Geneva Motor Show offers the public a first glimpse of the design philosophy which might characterize the exterior of a small BMW in future.

The broad shoulder line, flowing side-sills and muscular wheels with their extra-large and clearly visible brakes stand for performance and endurance.

The high-rising front end with dual headlights and a twin kidney grille gives the CS1 a dynamic, watchful face. With its stretched sideline, this unique concept car is very dynamic and sleek in appearance. Short overhangs front and rear are typical of BMW.

Interior
The designers were inspired by the world of fashion and modern architecture. Both classic and modern materials are used.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

It is interesting to look back at the CS1 concept for a number of reason but I think most important aspect of the CS1 was the grill tilted forward much like classic BMWs of the 80s. Adrian Van Hooydonk mentions this about the 1 Coupe on the interactive website on the BMW website. While BMW and Chris Bangle certainly began a monumental shift in automotive design, I think you are going to see more classic BMW characteristics (shark nose, accentuated Hofmeister kink, etc.) blended with a more flowing integration of the Bangle flame surfacing.
      10-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Those CS1 tail lights showed up on the Z4 [and the MK V VWs!]. I guess all ideas get used somewhere?

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

What I never understood is that the car's design is largely unchanged in basically 5+ years. Why did it take them that long to come out with the production variant?

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
What I never understood is that the car's design is largely unchanged in basically 5+ years. Why did it take them that long to come out with the production variant?
That is so true Emmett. I think in the present day they are ready to move much faster. I dont think the X6 took 5 years.
      10-07-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
That is so true Emmett. I think in the present day they are ready to move much faster. I dont think the X6 took 5 years.
Well, the factors involved in 1 Series production are very different from the X6. Remember, the 1er has to be a very good overall product. At such a low price bracket as an entry level car, it cant just be a bit different, drive really well, but be compromised everywhere else. It was a problem that the Smart ForFour had. The ForTwo and Roadster was so different from everything else that they didnt have to compete with more rounded packages. Then the ForFour came out and had to compete against established models that offered much more. In this scenario, the Smart style just didnt work.

The 1er hatch had to have been established before they could do anything different with the lineup. Another comparison, MINI could not go out with a Clubman or 4x4 model immediately along with the Coupe because the MINI had to establish itself.

The X6, on the other hand, is a very low production vehicle. It is unique, and for many, style will sell it. But it is so different that it really does not matter that it does not have all the practicality in the world.