BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #23
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i 6MT

So I'm interested.... but your website just auto redirects me to .co.uk and so I can't see squat about an N55 catch can.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #24
oneBIGtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

One more question

Why do you think any manufacturer, especially one like BMW would not develop and/or adopt such a simple design in their vehicles?

By the way....Great job to MM on their passion to educate and improve! You have a new customer.

03-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #25
mishimoto
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM_UK View Post
So I'm interested.... but your website just auto redirects me to .co.uk and so I can't see squat about an N55 catch can.
Shooting you a PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneBIGtoe View Post
Why do you think any manufacturer, especially one like BMW would not develop and/or adopt such a simple design in their vehicles?

By the way....Great job to MM on their passion to educate and improve! You have a new customer.
There are a few reasons manufacturers don't include catch can systems on their vehicles. The biggest reason is most likely cost. We're able to manufacture these systems in a cost effective manner because we've already done the research and development for a catch can that we can apply to several vehicles. For an OEM, creating these systems would mean taking the time and money to create an entirely new system for each vehicle. They would also have to produce these systems for every vehicle they manufacture, where we can determine the size of the market for an add-on system and adjust manufacturing accordingly.

There's also the fact that the average target audience for most vehicles is not somebody who would see a major benefit to this kind of system. Most vehicles are leased or owned by people who hardly want to do oil changes. The added maintenance of a catch can system would be a hard sell to somebody who just wants a car to drive from point A to point B and maybe go for the occasional Sunday drive. OEM's do try to include some sort of air-oil separation system in the engine, as the N55 has, but they often fall short due to space, time and cost restrictions.

Hope that answers your questions; we really appreciate your support!

-Steve

Last edited by mishimoto; 03-06-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #26
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Hey everybody!

Just wanted to share our features and benefits video for this catch can kit with you all. The installation video should follow shortly!

Thanks!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #27
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I went on your website and can't find the drain kit being mentioned. Would you provide the link for it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #28
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I went on your website and can't find the drain kit being mentioned. Would you provide the link for it?

Thanks.
Here you go: Mishimoto Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can Petcock Drain Kit. Unfortunately, we don't offer a direct fit kit for these vehicles yet, but this universal kit with work with any of our kits that include a 2-port or 3-port baffled oil catch can.

Thanks!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
Here you go: Mishimoto Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can Petcock Drain Kit. Unfortunately, we don't offer a direct fit kit for these vehicles yet, but this universal kit with work with any of our kits that include a 2-port or 3-port baffled oil catch can.

Thanks!

-Steve
You say yet. When do you think you'll have it available? Does it require installation with the catch can out of the car? Or can I add it later? What's the difference between the vehicle specific and the universal one?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #30
oneBIGtoe
Private
Rep

Just placed order
      03-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #31
dandandan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Hi Steve,

Does the kit come with a modified blow by heater element or would I need to modify the existing one to attach the return hose? Can you maybe show pictures of how to properly remove the hose part.

Funny timing too, I just discarded the old hose with broken clips about two weeks ago and bought a new one from the dealer. I knew I should have kept the old one.

NOTE TO OWNERS: take your time when removing the little pipe with the heater element; the plastic tubing is very easy to crack along the accordion tube section. It doesn’t like to be flexed, despite the design. Perhaps mine was really dry and old but it was very easy to crack. Also the 4 plastic tabs break very easily.

Thank you,

Dan

Last edited by dandandan; 03-13-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #32
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
You say yet. When do you think you'll have it available? Does it require installation with the catch can out of the car? Or can I add it later? What's the difference between the vehicle specific and the universal one?
At this time, we don't have a direct fit drain kit on our schedule for this vehicle, but I've passed your interest in it on to our product development team. The universal kit can be installed with the can mounted on the vehicle, however, I would say it would be best to install it early into the can's use so as to not drain blow-by into the bay. For our direct-fit drain kits we usually find a way to route the drain line to a place where you can drain the can easily. The universal drain with this kit should reach the bottom of the engine bay easily.

Quote:
Just placed order
Awesome, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Hi Steve,

Does the kit come with a modified blow by heater element or would I need to modify the existing one to attach the return hose? Can you maybe show pictures of how to properly remove the hose part.

Funny timing too, I just discarded the old hose with broken clips about two weeks ago and bought a new one from the dealer. I knew I should have kept the old one.

NOTE TO OWNERS: take your time when removing the little pipe with the heater element; the plastic tubing is very easy to crack along the accordion tube section. It doesn’t like to be flexed, despite the design. Perhaps mine was really dry and old but it was very easy to crack. Also the 4 plastic tabs break very easily.

Thank you,

Dan
Hi Dan,

You will have to modify the heater (heat the tube with a heat gun and pull the tubing off of the heater itself). I'm hoping to have the installation instructions in the next week or so. As you pointed out, the tubing on the PCV heater is prone to cracking and breaking, which will eventually cause a vacuum leak. Since this kit replaces that tube, you won't have to worry about that

Thanks!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #33
dandandan
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Steve!

Great looking product, I'm loving the OEM stealth look.

One last question:
I was just curious if the engineers feel the copper screen and single disruptor screen are enough to keep out most particles. Looking at the amount of oil vapour and grime that your test mule picked up, does your engineering team intend on maybe stepping up the filtration at all? I know some manufacturers employ an oil foam/sponge type of design in the can to absorb as much as possible without limiting flow. Perhaps this is overkill?

Did your team find any oil in the return lines or measure the amount of oil passing through the filtration can?

With all that sludge washing around in the can while driving, would the copper filter be constantly getting splashed and coated?

Thanks again!

Ordered

Last edited by dandandan; 03-15-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #34
PDXE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135i PPK/PE/Dinan S2

Got my order in. Any idea when you'll start shipping?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #35
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Steve!

Great looking product, I'm loving the OEM stealth look.

One last question:
I was just curious if the engineers feel the copper screen and single disruptor screen are enough to keep out most particles. Looking at the amount of oil vapour and grime that your test mule picked up, does your engineering team intend on maybe stepping up the filtration at all? I know some manufacturers employ an oil foam/sponge type of design in the can to absorb as much as possible without limiting flow. Perhaps this is overkill?

Did your team find any oil in the return lines or measure the amount of oil passing through the filtration can?

With all that sludge washing around in the can while driving, would the copper filter be constantly getting splashed and coated?

Thanks again!
Thanks Dan, glad you like it! At this point we still believe the 50-micron bronze filter is effective enough for most gas engines. Even with the can as full as it was we didn't notice any significant buildup in the return line. I would definitely say, however, that you should empty the can long before it gets this full. We recommend emptying the can before the collected material gets above the baffle as part of the purpose of that baffle is to keep collected material from sloshing back into the return line. You can always completely disassemble the can to clean it as well. I've seen a few cans that use a foam insert, but I've always worried about the longevity of that foam and it breaking apart (not that I have any real experience with that happening).

Hope that answers your questions, feel free to ask any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Got my order in. Any idea when you'll start shipping?
Awesome! These should be shipping out at the end of March.

Thanks,

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #36
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Hi everybody!

Here's the installation video so you can get a look at how to install this catch can kit. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #37
dandandan
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome video, appreciate the level of detail!

Will the original heater tube be able to be re-assembled in case we choose to go back to stock? Looks like it just slides on and off.

The can filtration design I was thinking of was similar to this: http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...ccv_intro.html

I noticed you guys have another brass filter with larger surface area (looks like a cone). Any thoughts on why that was not used for this application?

Thanks again!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #38
PDXE82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135i PPK/PE/Dinan S2

Thanks for the great video! Looks like a pretty straight forward install.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #39
oneBIGtoe
Private
Rep

May be a dumb question.... but why in the video, did they have to remove and leave the oil fill cap off? Also, why no hose clamps - even just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #40
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Remember this? Anyway, glad to see you guys are finally putting some effort into this community.

Hello,

Unfortunately, we look at the industry at a glance and decided where we want to go from there. A minimum quantity will not guarantee productions of a specific unit.

Thanks,

Pat Muschamp
Mishimoto Automotive

Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:47 PM
To: Mishimoto Automotive
Subject: Re: General Inquiry

Do you need a minimum order to put something like that into production?
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:21:36 -0700
To: Daniel<xerox445@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: General Inquiry

Daniel,

Thanks for the E-mail!

Unfortunately, at this time we do not plan to offer products for those applications. I am sorry for any inconvenience. However, I will be happy to add your information to our product suggestion list! If we do decide to come out with a product that matches your description, we will be sure to contact you!

Let me know if there is anything else we can help with!

Thanks,

Pat Muschamp
Mishimoto Automotive

From: Daniel - xerox445@yahoo.com [mailto:webmaster@mishimoto.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:01 PM
To: Mishimoto Automotive
Subject: General Inquiry

Message: I have alot of guys over at e90post.com, and 1addicts that would be intrested in a radiator for the 135i, and 335i. Do you have any plans on making a performance peice for those cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #41
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Hey everybody, sorry for the late reply on these!

Quote:
Awesome video, appreciate the level of detail!

Will the original heater tube be able to be re-assembled in case we choose to go back to stock? Looks like it just slides on and off.

The can filtration design I was thinking of was similar to this: http://www.maesco.com/products/racor...ccv_intro.html

I noticed you guys have another brass filter with larger surface area (looks like a cone). Any thoughts on why that was not used for this application?

Thanks again!

Dan
Hey Dan,

I would think that if the tube is not dry-rotted or cracked you would be able to slip it back onto the heater with a little heat and massaging, just like removal. A hose clamp over the warmed plastic may help sealing in case of any deformation, but if the hose is in good condition it should seal fine.

I hadn't seen a glass-fiber style filter like that before, I'll pass it on to our engineers to look at. I have a feeling something like that was considered but may have been ruled out due to cost for both us and the customer as well as serviceability. One of the best parts about our catch can is that it's fully cleanable, with that style the filter would have to be thrown out or replaced eventually, which would be an additional cost for the customer over time. We've found the internal turbulators, baffle and bronze filter do an excellent job at condensing and filtering blow-by while maintaining a reasonable cost for our customers.

The larger, cone-shaped filter your mentioned is used in our much larger baffled catch cans. The filter itself is actually almost as long as our compact cans so space and flow would be an issue there. We want to make sure the blow-by gas fully circulates through the can before exiting through the filter, instead of going into the can and being sucked right back out. The relatively flush mount of the bronze filter in the compact catch cans means that the turbulators can still do their job and blow-by can be circulated through the whole catch can.

Hope that helps answer your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Thanks for the great video! Looks like a pretty straight forward install.
Thank you! We rate it a 3/5 primarily because of the heater hose but it's pretty straightforward otherwise!

Quote:
May be a dumb question.... but why in the video, did they have to remove and leave the oil fill cap off? Also, why no hose clamps - even just for peace of mind.
The oil fill cap has to come off in order to remove the engine cover. I personally would either replace the cap while you're installing the catch can or place a rag over the opening, just in case. Of course, that also leaves the possibility for a klutz like me to forget it's on and smash the engine cover over it :P If you're careful there shouldn't be much worry of dropping anything into the valve cover as you're not doing much work around there, but it never hurts to be safe.

We don't include hose clamps at these points because this side of the PCV system should always be under vacuum and not become pressurized. The hose material used for this kit is very durable and you shouldn't see any vacuum leaks with age. We also don't want to include hose clamps where not necessary in order to keep cost reasonable for our customers; small costs like that do add up quickly when producing a large volume of products, so we try to only include clamps when needed.

Thanks again everybody and sorry again for the late reply!

-Steve

Last edited by mishimoto; 03-21-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #42
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerox445 View Post
Remember this? Anyway, glad to see you guys are finally putting some effort into this community.
Hi Daniel,

Sorry it took so long for us to get here! Mishimoto has come a long way in six years (my position and my entire department didn't even exist back then!) and we're now in a better position to support the BMW community and communities like it. Unfortunately, we've had to make a lot of tough decisions along the way in regards to what products we're able to work on and which products we'll have to hold onto until the market and our abilities as a company develop; but just because we can't realistically make a product, doesn't mean we don't love the community and want to support it.

I can't say thank you enough for the support this community has showed us and the feedback you all have given. We're really glad to be able to produce the best possible products for you all and we're incredibly excited to produce more and more products for BMW's. Of course, we'll be here to update everybody and get your feedback along the way.

Thanks!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #43
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

One last thing! I wanted to share our "The Making Of" video for this kit. Meet Jason, the project engineer, and get an up-close look at how we tackled the challenges we faced in designing and engineering this kit!

Thanks!

-Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #44
mishimoto
Banned
Rep

Hey everybody,

Just a heads-up; this is the last week to get this kit in pre-sale for the discounted price! Orders should be shipping out Friday!

Thanks,

-Steve
Appreciate 0