BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

OTS Tune to Pro Tune results?

So at this point, my car is probably 'maxed' out until I decide to upgrade the turbo.

Currently I'm running the Cobb Stage 2FMIC 93oct tune.

I see a lot of praise for pro tuning, and I don't doubt the general idea of it, but I haven't seen a whole lot of timeslips/dyno graphs on this forum.

Anyone with an N55 have an OTS to Pro result by the numbers? I'm cool to spend a few hundred on a pro tune if it truly increases performance, but I'm not sure I need to go through the trouble for ten horsepower.
      04-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

You'll find that a dyno of any kind is almost non-existent here. I posted one last week, there didn't seem to be much interest in it. 1addicts is a great forum, but not one that is heavy on data, more of a seat of your pants group.

I doubt there is a ton of power to be found on 93 using a pro-tune because of the size of our turbo. I'd think you can probably get extra power out of a pro-tune if you use either meth or ethanol (i'm going meth this summer). I capped out at 316whp 392wtq on 91oct FBO stage 2 + MHD. I think it's probably more like 330whp since it was tested in 5th gear (dct) and not 7th (1:1 gearing), which I didn't know going in. I also wouldn't want to dyno in 7th anyways. I'm hoping to get in the 340 range on the same dyno, same gear, running meth.
      04-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Check out e90 post, they probably have more dyno type data over there.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Mfindigital was correct in saying this part of the forum doesn't really tend to be 'numbers chasing' as much as the E9x guys. There's some big numbers out there but don't seem to be on the forums much. There's a couple N5X tuning groups on facebook that can be cancerous but also helpful for some.

One of the first things everyone is going to tell you though is to ditch the Cobb. With Cobb abandoning the platform, you're going to be looking at probably running JB4 with MHD backend flash or just straight custom MHD tune.
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      04-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #5
Soterios
BXR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by low135 View Post
Mfindigital was correct in saying this part of the forum doesn't really tend to be 'numbers chasing' as much as the E9x guys. There's some big numbers out there but don't seem to be on the forums much. There's a couple N5X tuning groups on facebook that can be cancerous but also helpful for some.

One of the first things everyone is going to tell you though is to ditch the Cobb. With Cobb abandoning the platform, you're going to be looking at probably running JB4 with MHD backend flash or just straight custom MHD tune.
I bought a COBB because at the time I had a reasonable discount on one.

The lack of data on this forum is what has kept me with it. Everyone seems to hard sell MHD, but I haven't seen a shred of anything other than butt dynos and 'I read that...' on here. (Once I wrap up the paint work, I plan on tracking/dynoing the card and posting up here to hopefully spark a data thread or two)

I'll pop over to the E9X forums to dig around, I guess. I don't mind switching to MHD if there's truly some good reasons too, but just like the purpose of this thread, I don't want to swap it out for little to no gain.
      04-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
low135
Banned
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Quote:

I bought a COBB because at the time I had a reasonable discount on one.

The lack of data on this forum is what has kept me with it. Everyone seems to hard sell MHD, but I haven't seen a shred of anything other than butt dynos and 'I read that...' on here.

I'll pop over to the E9X forums to dig around, I guess. I don't mind switching to MHD if there's truly some good reasons too, but just like the purpose of this thread, I don't want to swap it out for little to no gain.
I hear you there with the Cobb. Honestly if you have Facebook, posting asking for opinions on those that made the switch on some of the N5X tuning pages will get you a fair amount of responses. Many were in the same position years ago using Cobb and made the switch to MHD
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      04-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
Soterios
BXR
Rep

Quote:
I hear you there with the Cobb. Honestly if you have Facebook, posting asking for opinions on those that made the switch on some of the N5X tuning pages will get you a fair amount of responses. Many were in the same position years ago using Cobb and made the switch to MHD
Thanks. I just 'applied' to N5X Enthusiasts, though the entry just recommends their forum, so I guess I'll check that out too.
      08-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
Soterios
BXR
Rep

It's been a bit. Anyone new happen across a pro tune?