BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Runflat symbol on dash

(!) This type of symbol with the squiggly line underneath it has appeared on my dash. I called up that BMW 24 roadside service number and the girl I spoke to told me that I may have a flat.

Question is; I've had a look around and don't see any obvious signs of a puncture at all, and I can't really tell if the car is pulling to one side, as the roads in Brisbane are pretty crap, so it's constantly bumpy and pulling anyway.

How can I tell if I have a flat? Will the runflat symbol appear if a tyre is simply underinflated? I was thinking that I could pump up all 4 tyres and see if the symbol disappears, and provided it doesn't come back, this should indicate that the problem was one or more of the tyres just needed to be pumped up, rather than a flat?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
(!) This type of symbol with the squiggly line underneath it has appeared on my dash. I called up that BMW 24 roadside service number and the girl I spoke to told me that I may have a flat.

Question is; I've had a look around and don't see any obvious signs of a puncture at all, and I can't really tell if the car is pulling to one side, as the roads in Brisbane are pretty crap, so it's constantly bumpy and pulling anyway.

How can I tell if I have a flat? Will the runflat symbol appear if a tyre is simply underinflated? I was thinking that I could pump up all 4 tyres and see if the symbol disappears, and provided it doesn't come back, this should indicate that the problem was one or more of the tyres just needed to be pumped up, rather than a flat?
Have you checked the tire pressures?

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The TPMS sensors are looking for inflation within a range - so one or more tires may be below the appropriate range.

Take a peek at the owners manual for runflats/tires/TPMS - it'll explain it better than I can.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill@Tirerack.com View Post
Have you checked the tire pressures?
haven't had a chance to check pressure yet, as it happened on the way to work. Is there a recommended pressure for the 18" runflat tyres? I was told by the BMW sales person that I should pump them upto 40psi.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I run 39 psi front / 36 psi rear. If you fiddle with the pressures you'll need to reset the TPMS - again the owner's manual will have the instructions for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I had a TPMS symbol and it turns out I had a flat. Without the alert I never would have known, the RFT's don't change appearance.
      07-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
I had a TPMS symbol and it turns out I had a flat. Without the alert I never would have known, the RFT's don't change appearance.
How did you determine you had a flat?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I checked the pressure in all four tires and found one with zero pressure. When it was replaced, the tech found a nail on the inside wall.
      07-16-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

very common problem... it means a tire on one side has more air in it than the other.

check for leaks by spraying something onto your tread, just to see if you get any bubbles. If you do, you have a leak. You can plug it while you wait for a new tire to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I gotta say something to the assembled multitude - please keep a tire gauge in the car!

Hell - even an old ratty pencil type gauge - but you should always have a tire gauge in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

FYI, the TPMS is not fitted to Aussie 1ers. We just get the ABS based system where it measures tyre rotation. Hence I had a slow leak a few months back and got no warning what so ever. I only noticed when it started to rain again in Melb and was wondering why the car was wondering so much over and around tram tracks. Checked the pressures and barely had 60kpa in the right front.... Visually you could barely tell something was wrong. I have no idea how long I drove around with it flat. Hence I let no more than a month pass before replacing all the tyres (luckily they were due anyway).

So check pressures when you get a chance and reset the system. Check pressures 24 hrs later and if it drops head to your nearest tyre place. Oh and unless you want to replace the tyre, don't tell them you have been driving on it flat too long. Otherwise they may not want to repair it.
      07-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
FYI, the TPMS is not fitted to Aussie 1ers. We just get the ABS based system where it measures tyre rotation. Hence I had a slow leak a few months back and got no warning what so ever. I only noticed when it started to rain again in Melb and was wondering why the car was wondering so much over and around tram tracks. Checked the pressures and barely had 60kpa in the right front.... Visually you could barely tell something was wrong. I have no idea how long I drove around with it flat. Hence I let no more than a month pass before replacing all the tyres (luckily they were due anyway).

So check pressures when you get a chance and reset the system. Check pressures 24 hrs later and if it drops head to your nearest tyre place. Oh and unless you want to replace the tyre, don't tell them you have been driving on it flat too long. Otherwise they may not want to repair it.
Thanks for that; The tyres & car are 2 weeks old and i've done 1000kms, if the rears have a problem i'm going to try and pump them up and see if it's a slow leak, then hopefully have some fun with them before I replace them with 255s on the back.

However, I'm not real keen on also replacing the fronts as well, which also only done 1000kms.

Is the width differential between 215s at the front and 255s on the back too much? I think i've read somewhere that going too wide on the back will tend to induce oversteer? (PS: this is a road car only, no track) I intended on swapping to a 225 front and 225 rear configuration for my second set of tyres anyway, but just didn't think i'd have to deal with it 2 weeks after taking delivery of the car :iono:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #13
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hmmmm... ok, I found out i have a nail in my passenger rear tyre. The Bridgestone tyre place refuses to fix it, even though the nail is right in the middle...

Guess how much for a replacement 245/35 R18 RE050?

..... $700!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 02:53 AM   #14
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Ouch. My rear 225/45 R17 "only" cost $395.

Like a said, a lot of places will refuse to fix it. I suggest you shop around to a less reputable place and let them know you are willing to wear the risk and not get a receipt if they will repair the tyre.

If you do some research RFTs can definitely be repaired, the issue is like a described. With RFTs you're not sure (and hence they don't trust) how long you drove around without air. Therefore the tyre's ability to operate again without air is unknown.

Quote from http://www.runflat-system.com/techni.../pop_main.html
Quote:
Is it possible to repair a Run-Flat tire that has been punctured?
A:
It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.
However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.
      07-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #15
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

The Bridgestone shop told me that they will lose their RunFlat certification if they are reported or found to be repairing them. SO that tells me that, yes they can repair them, but don't want to because of that.

I ended up taking my car into the dealer as I had to pickup my BMW M jacket free of course... (pics to come), and got them to pump up the tyres while i was there. They said the rear left was 5psi down, which seemed to have triggered the runflat warning.

I also asked about fitting 255s on the rear and they BMW service guy advised against that as he'd seen a similar thing on a Z4 where they replaced a 235 with a 265 tyre and the wheel cracked. He said it had something to do with the sidewall, and if i wanted to do it, i should go non-runflat.

I actually like the RE050 runflats and just wanted to go up a size, but i'm not sure now..

I've already booked to have the new tyre fitted tomorrow, so i'm just gonna have to get ripped off with the $700 pricetag. Anybody got some Aussie prices on this tyre? I've tried to call around, but everywhere is closed atm. I think becasue i drove in, they could smell the desperation and marked up a bit
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I call BS on the Bridgestone shop
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

hmmm ok, i've called up 3 other places and apparently there are only 3 tyres left in the whole of Australia, which I find pretty hard to believe :iono:

One place quoted me $790!!! for 1 tyre and the others are all going to call me back. I get the feeling all they're doing is calling up Bridgestone and getting the price from them.

geeeezzz :eyebulge:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #18
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
Hmmmm... ok, I found out i have a nail in my passenger rear tyre. The Bridgestone tyre place refuses to fix it, even though the nail is right in the middle...

Guess how much for a replacement 245/35 R18 RE050?

..... $700!!!!
It CAN be repaired,..I had a nail in mine in the middle, and one of the larger Goodyear places near me fixed it for $40. No probs since. 600 miles ago.
Call around until you find a place with a machine that does runflats,..not all tire places have a machine that will remove / install runflats without tearing them up.
DOH,..sorry,..just read that you're replacing it.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

You guys realize your tires are the only thing keeping your cars on the road? Don't half-ass things, replace damaged run-flats. Buy road hazard insurance, if it's availble.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Better to rent a car for 2 days and order a new RF from Tirerack for $320. ALOT cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #21
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

My road hazard was only ~$400 for 3 years, and it also covers wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
My road hazard was only ~$400 for 3 years, and it also covers wheels.
any excess if you claim? I think there's something similar here in Aus, but it's around $200 everytime u claim a tyre.

I ended up just forking over $675 for a new tyre, got the old one off and found a place that would plug it up for $25, so i've got a spare now.. but still.

PS see below for pic (quality bit shit, taken with camera phone):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0