BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

hit a pothole in month old 135, out $420, at least

hit a pothole going about 70mph on the freeway at night. tire deflated, i drove home at 50mph for about 25miles. took it to the dealer this morning, they said to take it to the shop next door see if it could be patched (surprised b/c this is the worst dealer for sales in my area). shop showed me the cracked sidewall on the tire and showed me that the rim was bent on the inside. They're charging for $320 for the tire with labor and tax (front tire) and at least $100 to get the rim fixed. shop was cool and straight forward, even gave me a loaner rim and tire to go to work, while they wait to get my new tire and get the rim fixed. They said the new tire will be on the rim tonight, and I need to show up tomorrow morning to get it mounted.

i'm very right now about the rim/tire situation on this 1 month old car. my last car had 19" rims and it would ride over potholes a lot smoother than the 135 and never bent the rim or killed the tire. my vette had 18/17" runflats and i did have a tire blowout by hitting a pothole on the freeway but it happened once in almost 5 years of ownership. the bmw seems like its gonna do this all the time.

the 135 feel like you're crashing into a wall when you hit a pothole. I am now whishing i bought the road hazard insureance when i bought the car. I will be looking into getting it added, perhaps through an outside source. any suggestions?

my original plan was to wait for the runflats to die and then replace all four tires with non-runflats and put a spare in the trunk. now i think i will never have all four tires die because i will be replacing them individually all the time.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
NY SLC 93
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm going to get some new rubber on as soon as I can. Sounds like the RFTs suck.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
painter
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'm really sorry for your bad luck - it makes me glad I got the Road Hazard.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^yea i should have gotten it. my last experience with runflats was my vette - 1 blowout in 5 years. so i didn't think it was worth it. and they said it doesn't cover just the tread getting worndown, which was the biggest problem with those runflats on the vette. rears would go really quick.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I know of one friend who complained to the city about the pothole and how it hurt his rims, he got reimbursed...then again he is a lucky SOB..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yea i heard about this too, you're supposed to take a pic of the pothole and send it to them. i was thinking about this, although the one that screwed me up was on the 5 freeway.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

That sucks ass man. We just got rear-ended so for future refference a new rear bumper cover is $700 w/o paint...
      05-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^that sucks. but the other dude's insurance is paying? also, I've heard you refer to "our" 135 and "we" just go rear-ended, is that in reference to your wife, or your company or what?

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the other guy's insurance is paying thankfully. The "we" and "our" is in reference to my wife and I. I think she's more into the car and it's speed factor than I am sometimes. I spend more time in the motorcycle area since the gas mileage is better so she does more car driving than I do now. We are our own little race team (figuratively), I'm the mechanic and she gets to play driver...
      05-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
hit a pothole going about 70mph on the freeway at night. tire deflated, i drove home at 50mph for about 25miles. took it to the dealer this morning, they said to take it to the shop next door see if it could be patched (surprised b/c this is the worst dealer for sales in my area). shop showed me the cracked sidewall on the tire and showed me that the rim was bent on the inside. They're charging for $320 for the tire with labor and tax (front tire) and at least $100 to get the rim fixed. shop was cool and straight forward, even gave me a loaner rim and tire to go to work, while they wait to get my new tire and get the rim fixed. They said the new tire will be on the rim tonight, and I need to show up tomorrow morning to get it mounted.

i'm very right now about the rim/tire situation on this 1 month old car. my last car had 19" rims and it would ride over potholes a lot smoother than the 135 and never bent the rim or killed the tire. my vette had 18/17" runflats and i did have a tire blowout by hitting a pothole on the freeway but it happened once in almost 5 years of ownership. the bmw seems like its gonna do this all the time.

the 135 feel like you're crashing into a wall when you hit a pothole. I am now whishing i bought the road hazard insureance when i bought the car. I will be looking into getting it added, perhaps through an outside source. any suggestions?

my original plan was to wait for the runflats to die and then replace all four tires with non-runflats and put a spare in the trunk. now i think i will never have all four tires die because i will be replacing them individually all the time.

This is EXACTLY what I have been reading all over for the past 2 years with BMW run-craps. Its a FACT. Not an opinion.

I WILL get a space saver donut and jack for $400, they both weigh only 40#. Wear out the run-craps and get normal smooth riding reliable tires.:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yep, i am still planning to get good tires after wearing out the runcaps. but like i said, at this point it seems like that won't happen cause i'll keep busting them. cool thing was the dealer told me to take it to the shop and see if it could be patched. but alas it was the sidewall. next time i'm calling tripple A and having the it towed i got the towing service up to 100 miles.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

What are they charging for the Tire and Wheel protection??
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #13
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

Almost $600 and it only covers damage not wear-n-tear. The way I see it if you want your money's worth, when the tires get worn accidentally spill a box of nails behind your car...
      05-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #14
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i might buy this road hazard insurance http://www.twinkidneygrill.com/catal...36/4203632.htm

found it on e90post. if you use the code "fest" it bumps the price down $50 (to $530). it says it covers any wheels or tires on the car at the time of the damage. upside is i can get it now. downside is to make a claim you have to pay for the work out of pocket and file a claim for reimbursement.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #15
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndprssr View Post
Almost $600 and it only covers damage not wear-n-tear. The way I see it if you want your money's worth, when the tires get worn accidentally spill a box of nails behind your car...
I have a policy on my 325i due to the RFT's, but if you read the fine print, damage isn't covered if the tread gets too low, I forget the number. So your idea wouldn't likely work. But I thought about it before buying two new fronts a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #16
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

It's not the runflats, it's the low profile tires. Imagine the impact to the wheel without the runflats. Would have been far worse. BMW was stupid to mount such low profile tires as standard. There will be lots of similar situations of curbing and denting wheels.

The last time I hit a pothole was in a hard rain at night while living in Hawaii (10 years ago). Just couldn't see it. As a motorcyclist, I pay close attention to the pavement I'm approaching.
      05-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #17
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3to1 View Post
I have a policy on my 325i due to the RFT's, but if you read the fine print, damage isn't covered if the tread gets too low, I forget the number. So your idea wouldn't likely work. But I thought about it before buying two new fronts a few months ago.
Stupid fine print...luckily though, in my line of work I know what typically counts as "low tread"...
      05-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I'm really sorry for your bad luck - it makes me glad I got the Road Hazard.
+1, wasn't planning on it, but really glad I bought it afterall.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #19
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Hitting a small pothole on the 135i feels like dropping your car from 6ft high. I thought for sure I bent a wheel last time, luckily both the tires and wheels are fine.
      05-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #20
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

IT IS THE RUNFLATS. I have read about MANY people getting flats with the runflats hitting the save type holes they use to with reg tires and not getting flats. This IS A PROBLEM. The runflats sidewalls are way TOO firm, putting alot of stress on the tread and sidewall. The tire is already a very low profile, now making it a runflat adds to the problem..

Instead of spending $5,6,7,800 on protection with small print, get a set of new regular smoother riding tires for $800.

Get a space saver spare and a jack on this website for $400. Both weigh only 40# and don't take up much room in the trunk.

I have also been told to just get the air pump/glue injector thing. No thanks, the glue will mess up the TPMS sensors, and the tires. I HAVE talked to professional people who own BIG tire companies and also say the goo/glue will mess up both, the sensors and tires.

I want the regular old fashion way of fixing a flat.

With regular tires(non-run-flats) you won't get flats as easy as a runflat, no glue problems, just jack up the car, put on the spare donut, go have your regular tire fixed at ANY shop. DONE.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #21
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Sorry to hear what happened. I bought the multi shield insurance when I picked the car up. It covers wheels, tires, small dings, and windshield repair (small chips and stuff like that). At first I was hesitant but after hearing stories like this I am glad I got it. I have had a couple of close calls with big potholes.

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
2022 RE Continental GT 650
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #22
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
IT IS THE RUNFLATS. I have read about MANY people getting flats with the runflats hitting the save type holes they use to with reg tires and not getting flats.
Fallacy of small sample and internet misleadings. "same type holes", eh? If they hit a hole and it damaged the runflat, how would they know if the same hole given the same variables would damage a different tire any more or any less. Your logic and/or argument is way off. Keep in mind the cars of now use far lower profile tires than those of the past. I remember when 70 series tires and 15 inch wheels were considered aggressive, and on sports cars and sport coupes/sedans.