BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #67
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
ok my car is a 128i with the sport package, when I turn on my car the headlights go up and down, but I have never seen them move side to side, and I leave my switch on auto all the time.. does this mean my car cant be coded as I don't have the necessary headlights?
-
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #68
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
ok my car is a 128i with the sport package, when I turn on my car the headlights go up and down, but I have never seen them move side to side, and I leave my switch on auto all the time.. does this mean my car cant be coded as I don't have the necessary headlights?
-
BMW made standard Xenons(without curven lights) and Xenons with AHL. If you read the ring on the projector you will see this. Only AHL's can be coded to the euro specs. And only AHL have the curve light feature. The AHL's inner lamp is opaque(not clear).

checkout this AHL thread...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830769
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #69
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
Quote:
-
Adaptive Headlights were not an option on the 128i, it was only available for the 135i. When you see your bi-xenon headlights moving up and down on ignition, the vehicle is performing auto-levelling of your headlights. They cannot move side to side.

Last edited by BaNaNaBoy69; 05-11-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #70
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
Can this feature be coded with NCS Expert?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #71
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNaNaBoy69 View Post
Yes, I would think so. Its just I do not know what lines of code to modify.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #72
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Bumping this thread since I'm now interested in this for my E92 M3. I found this while reading about being able to re-enable the no-dazzle high beam assistant on F Series cars, and while I know this isn't as cool as that, I'm still intrigued. I don't have any of the "decoding" items in my VO, but I don't believe my lights behave in AHL2 mode. I wonder if maybe enabling AHL2 on US cars involves an alternate software flash in addition to basic coding, kind of like Euro DCT or Alpina transmission software? Otherwise I'm surprised that how to do this hasn't become public knowledge yet.

Dackelone, it's too bad you're not into coding yourself. It'd be great to poke through your car seeing as you already have it!

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-22-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Bumping this thread since I'm now interested in this for my E92 M3. I found this while reading about being able to re-enable the no-dazzle high beam assistant on F Series cars, and while I know this isn't as cool as that, I'm still intrigued. I don't have any of the "decoding" items in my VO, but I don't believe my lights behave in AHL2 mode. I wonder if maybe enabling AHL2 on US cars involves an alternate software flash in addition to basic coding, kind of like Euro DCT or Alpina transmission software? Otherwise I'm surprised that how to do this hasn't become public knowledge yet.

Dackelone, it's too bad you're not into coding yourself. It's be great to poke through your car seeing as you already have it!

I am not into coding but I have friends who are. One of them read my sw level the other day. He is comparing it to another US spec 135i to see what code lines are different. We have another German friend - who wants this AHL2 coding on his 135i Vert. So I am hoping for some news soon.

Btw... yes, this AHL2 coding is from the F2x cars. I first thought it was from the e6x series... but I am told its from the F series cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #74
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNaNaBoy69 View Post
Yes, it should be able too. Its just a modified line in the footwell module. Its not a total reflash like the Alpina autotrans sw.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #75
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
-

BMW uses three different types of headlights on the 1er's. AHL Xenon, Xenon, and Halogens. There was also a LCI "led brow" on the AHL's and halogens.

LCI, AHL xenons
Name:  headlights ahl  ___IMG_3649.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  84.0 KB

AHL xeons
Name:  headlights__ahl  IMG_0191 (1).jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  124.9 KB

xenons (non AHL) these lights do NOT move side to side when the headlight switch is in the "AUTO" position.
Name:  headlights_non ahl xenon___IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  97.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #76
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
I don't believe there is any kind of alternate software you will need for the flash. I think it may run along the lines of editing the VO to remove the "variable light distribution disable" line item for American cars and then enabling the option inside of the FRM module. Hell, it may be as easy as just adding the variable w/NCS and calling it a day, but I haven't had time to mess with it.

It is funny, though, how this option hasn't proliferated the American market.

I can say that the no-dazzle high beam and the dynamic lights are not interdependent on one another.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #77
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
I don't believe there is any kind of alternate software you will need for the flash. I think it may run along the lines of editing the VO to remove the "variable light distribution disable" line item for American cars and then enabling the option inside of the FRM module. Hell, it may be as easy as just adding the variable w/NCS and calling it a day, but I haven't had time to mess with it.

It is funny, though, how this option hasn't proliferated the American market.

I can say that the no-dazzle high beam and the dynamic lights are not interdependent on one another.
I don't have 8S4 in my VO, and I don't have auto high beams, so no-dazzle high beams wouldn't be possible, though I don't think that was ever available on E9x cars anyway. I suppose it's possible that AHL2 requires ADDING something to the VO rather than subtracting, but I'm just surprised nobody has figured this out yet. Hopefully Dackelone will have an update soon.

I know that no-dazzle and variable light distribution are separate, but people who can have both of course would want both. I can't, but I'd still like to have variable light even if no-dazzle high beams are way cooler.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #78
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Well this turned out to be MUCH easier (and more obvious!) than I would have expected given that it's remained a mystery this long. I found someone who offers paid coding and lists AHL2 activation among his options. I emailed him explaining that I was already a fairly experienced coder but couldn't find out how to enable this one feature or even whether it was possible for my car, and told him that if he offers remote coding I would pay him for this single feature. He generously replied back just telling me how to enable it!

There are no VO changes required. The setting is in the NFRM module, and its super-secret name to disguise it from everyone is...."AHL2_ENABLE". You just have to set that to "aktiv". My M3 now behaves exactly like the video in this thread.

I'm thinking this setting gets defaulted to enabled or disabled appropriately by region because the car's model code in the VO is different based on region; for example, my M3's model code is KG93, which I believe means "US-spec left-hand drive M3 Coupe".

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #79
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Nice find! Wonder if this coding is available in BMWhat?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #80
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

@cheshirecat79
@BaNaNaBoy69
@OneSweetRide
@RimasRS
@e34m5
@P90Puma
@houtan
@spain4065
@mattryan
@MightyMouseTech
@Sarge135
@Eddie135
@dknl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post

Quote:
Well this turned out to be MUCH easier (and more obvious!) than I would have expected given that it's remained a mystery this long. I found someone who offers paid coding and lists AHL2 activation among his options. I emailed him explaining that I was already a fairly experienced coder but couldn't find out how to enable this one feature or even whether it was possible for my car, and told him that if he offers remote coding I would pay him for this single feature. He generously replied back just telling me how to enable it!

There are no VO changes required. The setting is in the NFRM module, and its super-secret name to disguise it from everyone is...."AHL2_ENABLE". You just have to set that to "aktiv". My M3 now behaves exactly like the video in this thread.

I'm thinking this setting gets defaulted to enabled or disabled appropriately by region because the car's model code in the VO is different based on region; for example, my M3's model code is KG93, which I believe means "US-spec left-hand drive M3 Coupe".

Cool! Many thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #81
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Cool! Many thanks!!
Sure! Btw, since you're the OP in this thread, it might be worth updating Post #1 to include how to enable it to make it easier on people who come to this thread later. Embedding the video on Page 2 might be helpful too.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #82
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Sure! Btw, since you're the OP in this thread, it might be worth updating Post #1 to include how to enable it to make it easier on people who come to this thread later. Embedding the video on Page 2 might be helpful too.
Good idea. DONE!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #83
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

sweet- glad to hear you got it working. i found a post about that exact variable looking for e92 solutions at a website that I can't link here. I really hope it's as easy as just adding that variable for everyone else!

thanks for following up and letting everyone know.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #84
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Hi Dack

Is this AHL feature possible on my Australian based 135?

My headlights automatically moves up & down when in AUTO mode.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #85
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Hi Dack

Is this AHL feature possible on my Australian based 135?

My headlights automatically moves up & down when in AUTO mode.

Thanks.
Yes, as long as your car has a FRM3 module. This is normally only found on US spec cars though, so you might need to upgrade your footwell module to FRM3. I think your car has a FRM2. ??
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #86
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Quote:
Yes, as long as your car has a FRM3 module. This is normally only found on US spec cars though, so you might need to upgrade your footwell module to FRM3. I think your car has a FRM2. ??
Thanks mate
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #87
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When did FRM3 become a requirement? Your Post #13 quotes a response from Frank saying that any car with adaptive headlights can be coded for AHL2.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #88
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

AHL2 mini-review

I got a chance to go out and experiment with AHL2 on both lit and unlit roads at both high and low speeds. Here's my preliminary verdict and a few notes:

First, only the driver's side lamp seems to behave noticeably differently with AHL2; the passenger side lamp is either unchanged or minimally changed, which seems consistent with the diagram in Post #1 here. I guess BMW is focusing just on keeping as much of the ROAD lit as possible (since the driver's side would have the oncoming traffic lanes), but I was a bit disappointed by that because I think it could be useful to improve the lighting of whatever is beside the road on the passenger side while driving at low speeds. Oh well.

Second, AHL2 is disabled while high beams are active. The lamps behave just like AHL1 in that scenario. Just fyi.

As for driving impressions, on lit roads at low speeds, if you toggle your headlight switch between the Auto and "regular" positions AND you're actively watching your driver side head lamp, you can definitely see the beam change just like in the video in Post #1 -- but it makes zero practical difference to your visibility. If you only ever drove in lit areas at night and I coded this to your car without telling you, you would probably never notice anything had changed. While toggling between the modes at high speeds (80 MPH), even while carefully watching the beam, I could only see the tiniest difference, which again is consistent with the Basic Light vs Motorway Light diagrams shown in Post #1.

On unlit roads, you can definitely see the driver side beam reorienting as you change your speed. It's definitely cool to watch, and you might notice it even if you weren't watching for it, but again it's not a major difference even at low speeds where AHL2 activates Town Light. I certainly don't think it's WORSE than before, but I'm having trouble thinking of a scenario in which this lighting setup would be meaningfully different from AHL1. I'm sure there are such situations, otherwise BMW wouldn't have invested the R&D to create this and made their cars' head lamps more complicated for no benefit, but I'm not sure what those situations might be.

So, bottom line: Yes, AHL2 is definitely cool to show off. But even when its adjustments are detectable, they may not be useful. And as the diagram in Post #1 indicates, from 30-70 MPH, AHL2 behaves just like AHL1 anyway, so if you don't have it, you're not missing out on a lot -- unlike the truly amazing no-dazzle high beams on the F series cars.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 06-25-2014 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0