BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2023, 04:44 PM   #1
aresfiend
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Engine malfunction with no codes, 2008 135i

As of today I've had an engine malfunction notification pop up in my 2008 135i. It does run like shit but only after the engine malfunction notification pops up. I have zero codes whatsoever. I unplugged some things to make sure it would still throw and hold codes then plugged them back in and cleared those codes after my science experiment.

Here's a list of assorted things that I think are pertinent:

- Running like absolute garbage between 1200-2000rpm, it'll stumble and die if I try to keep it at something like 1500rpm. If I keep it below 1200 or above 2000 it's absolutely fine. This only starts after the engine malfunction comes on.

- Fuel rail pressure is around 2200-2500psi WOT before it goes into limp mode and disables boost, after it goes into limp mode it'll be around 1600psi WOT. If I pull over, shut the car off, turn the car back on, then floor it I'll get 2200-2500psi and fun blowoff valve noises again until the engine malfunction comes up. If the engine malfunction comes on while I'm mid pull it seems to not disable boost until I let off the throttle and will maintain fuel rail pressure with the boost. No surging or hesitation past 2000rpm. I don't think it's the hpfp.

- Oil temp is hanging around 230-240 degrees fahrenheit, coolant is around 190-210.

- No fuel injector noises, no consistent indication of a misfire before the engine malfunction notification. I had one long crank in January. I drove ~300 miles, got out, did my work, got back in 40 minutes later and it cranked significantly longer than normal then started. I'm attributing this to starting the car when it was -30 degrees outside while the car was warm. I've seen that with other vehicles of mine in the past.

- When I filled up on a basically empty tank yesterday the car freaked out for the first few minutes. It started up just fine, I did my mileage calculations, and by the time I finished 30 seconds later the car was revving then dropping then revving then dropping. Basically rapidly flipping between a 700rpm and 1500rpm idle. It would do that almost every time I've started the car since filling from that gas station yesterday. I did fill the tank from 1/4 full with gas from a different gas station this afternoon and the car seemed to calm down significantly faster. I'm going to run some errands with the new gas and see how it goes, but I'm hopeful it's a fuel quality issue and not just a coincidence.

- Oil and coolant levels are fine. I do have two oil leaks (ofhg and vcg) but they're very minor, about a quart every 7,000 miles/60 days. The current oil change has about 3,000 miles on it.

- I have no idea when plugs and coils were last serviced, I also don't know what index my injectors are. After I post this I'm going to take it for a drive to see how it's doing with the new fuel then get to the injectors/packs/plugs to start finding out what's going on.

- The engine malfunction doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason for triggering. Sometimes it'll pop up as soon as the car starts, sometimes it'll be while I'm flooring it, sometimes it'll be a few seconds after I've let off the throttle, sometimes it'll be while I'm idling across a parking lot. I've gotten as long as 10 minutes before it starts, the last five were while cruise control was engaged. It seems to trigger just as randomly driving at 30mph as it does driving at 70.

I just want to reiterate, it only starts running badly after the engine malfunction warning comes up and does not throw any codes. Because it's not giving the standard failure symptoms for the hpfp, long crank or clapping of injectors, or running badly until after the car tells me there's a problem I don't even know where to focus on. Does anyone have any advice?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
aresfiend
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Hi, me again, partial charge pipe disconnection. I didn't think to look at it because I was still getting BOV noises.
Appreciate 1