12-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #199
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Camber plates are optional. We never recommend camber plates on a street car unless it is absolutely necessary for the type of driving the enduser will be doing.
I'm getting my Ohlins R&T installed by a local shop on Monday and here is what I'm planning to do:

- 10mm spacers front and rear
- 25mm (~1") drop in front and 5mm in rear
- 14 clicks from stiff since car will be used for street use only with maybe an occasional track day
- no camber plates, using stock mounts
- may need revised fender liners but currently not available until January

Any issues with this setup? Am I going too low up front, especially compared to rear? The car has so much forward rake that I want to get rid of.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:24 PM   #200
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
I'm getting my Ohlins R&T installed by a local shop on Monday and here is what I'm planning to do:

- 14 clicks from stiff since car will be used for street use only with maybe an occasional track day

Any issues with this setup? Am I going too low up front, especially compared to rear? The car has so much forward rake that I want to get rid of.
Our recommendation is alway reach out to where you bought your Ohlins R&T from for guidance. They are authorized Ohlins dealer for a reason and are responsible to provide before and after sale support.

If the selling vendor, especially a none sponsoring one, can't provide any after sale setup help or support, you should go else where and support those who can.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 12-15-2021 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #201
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:

If you’re asking these questions, you likely already know the answers. 1M weight balance is slightly towards the front from BMW; dropping the front more than recommended will make the car handle worse, without dropping rear the same amount over recommended.

If you want to have front and rear wheel arches equally full with tire, i.e. equal fender gap, then you should set ohlins as recommended and run taller tire in front than in rear… which is what BMW has done with all M cars prior to 1M/e9x M3 (and the e92 M3 GTS).
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      12-09-2021, 11:59 PM   #202
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My drop is about 15mm front and 5mm rear, which is the recommended setup. When running square wheel/tire setup, the wheel gap is equal all around. The staggered setup still has a much tighter gap at the rear but obviously not as much.

I have -2.8 degrees camber up front, -2.2 rear. I use a 10mm spacer on the front only to correct the tuck from the camber.

Make sure your installer replaces the aluminum stretch bolt on the hub spindle. It will not hold torque if reinstalled.
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
atl_1M1520.00
ayao627.50
      01-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #203
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Dumb question but would it be required to drill into this to install Ohlins?? Just now noticed the shop did this…wtf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #204
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Dumb question but would it be required to drill into this to install Ohlins?? Just now noticed the shop did this…wtf
Bad news bears… certainly wouldn’t be necessary, especially since all adjustments are made from underside. Maybe someone else can think of why they might do this
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:55 PM   #205
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

The front strut has an inverted damper. The damping adjustment is access from the bottom of the strut. Just turn your wheel to full lock and reach around the tire to access. There is no need to drill anything.

Assuming they failed to read the instructions for their first install on the Ohlins R&T.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 01:56 PM   #206
BattleRaT
Old Member
Chile
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe 2011

It's more than a year since nobody is posting here so... here we go again!

I noticed there is a new revision of the Ohlins manual for the 1M kit: https://ohlins.com/storage/C6E7F11CB...MZMN01S1_0.pdf. (Issued 2023-01-23)

Some questions if somebody knows the answer(s)
  • Are the recommended preloads and lengths "correct" with the current Ohlins manual year 2023?
  • Is the dust boot cut length correct on this latest installation manual version? I read comments on this post about wrong sizes and measurements

I also noticed the only available model/KIT now is BMZMN01S1 ... interesting.

Thanks in advance for any protip you could provide!
Appreciate 0