BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
OrcityUSBeamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

2010 BMW 128i $4000 repair for fuel pump?

Hi All,

A local Oregon city oregon BMW shop quoted me $2k for a $1200 fuel pump and labor to replace.

They get into the repair and then tell me the particular model of BMW 128i I have (they claim they even called BMW to confirm it) does NOT have an access port on the Gas tank to the fuel pump and they must NOW charge me an additional $2400 to replace the whole gas tank to replace the fuel pump as well! Every youtube video shows the back seat removal and the round gasket like screw off top to access the fuel pump. This guy claims my partcular model doesn't have that? Has anyone heard anything like this.?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcityUSBeamer View Post
Hi All,

A local Oregon city oregon BMW shop quoted me $2k for a $1200 fuel pump and labor to replace.

They get into the repair and then tell me the particular model of BMW 128i I have (they claim they even called BMW to confirm it) does NOT have an access port on the Gas tank to the fuel pump and they must NOW charge me an additional $2400 to replace the whole gas tank to replace the fuel pump as well! Every youtube video shows the back seat removal and the round gasket like screw off top to access the fuel pump. This guy claims my partcular model doesn't have that? Has anyone heard anything like this.?
N51 engine? I believe that has tank and fuel pump inseparable, but then it also has the SULEV 15 years/150K miles warranty which covers emissions related equipment, including the fuel pump (e.g., https://chrisparente.com/2012/07/17/...ehicles-sulevs). If you're a BMW CCA member, you may want to contact the ombudsman if the dealership gives you trouble.

P.S. You can tell if you have an N51 from the plaque under the hood (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-E...N51_or_LEV_N52) and some visual clues, if you don't know. Oh, or a VIN lookup, e.g., mdecoder.com or realoem.
Appreciate 0