BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

br5 to mp3 music converter?

I am sure this has been posted, but does anyone have a converter to convert br5 to mp3 music? I have a ton of soms the previous owner of my car have loaded, and I exported them, but they are useless to me in br5 format. I want to go through them all and delete the ones I don't like, and organize the rest into genres.

Any help?

Thanks,
      05-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
mmmm_beer
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i Convertible

Garage List
Do a search for "skanman bmwconv". There is a post (#29) that contains a utility that will convert your br5 files back into wma files. It is actually a pretty simple program, it renames the extension and performs a basic bitmask operation to undo what maded it unplayable. The zip file posted includes the .c source code so you should be able to compile it on any unix like operating system (i.e. macOS, Linux) or using something like Cygwin, SUA or other unix environments on windows. It also included a windows Cygwin executable, but it will only run if you install Cygwin to get the .dll file it complains about.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmm_beer View Post
Do a search for "skanman bmwconv". There is a post (#29) that contains a utility that will convert your br5 files back into wma files. It is actually a pretty simple program, it renames the extension and performs a basic bitmask operation to undo what maded it unplayable. The zip file posted includes the .c source code so you should be able to compile it on any unix like operating system (i.e. macOS, Linux) or using something like Cygwin, SUA or other unix environments on windows. It also included a windows Cygwin executable, but it will only run if you install Cygwin to get the .dll file it complains about.
Thanks, I saw that, but I am only semi-competent on Windows. Unix is well past my skill level.
      05-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
mmmm_beer
Rep

Garage List
Try this one, I took the source that was posted and changed one of the calls to be Windows compatible and the .exe in this zip file should run on Windows now without the need for Cygwin. It is still a command line program so it would require you to open the command prompt and issue the command like this:
bmwconv mysong.br5

where mysong.br5 is the name of a backed up song you wish to convert back into wma files.

You might even be able to drag and drop your files onto the .exe and it should do the conversion. Not 100% sure but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bmwconv.zip (35.6 KB, 2066 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try this one, I took the source that was posted and changed one of the calls to be Windows compatible and the .exe in this zip file should run on Windows now without the need for Cygwin. It is still a command line program so it would require you to open the command prompt and issue the command like this:
bmwconv mysong.br5

where mysong.br5 is the name of a backed up song you wish to convert back into wma files.

You might even be able to drag and drop your files onto the .exe and it should do the conversion. Not 100% sure but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
OK, took me a few minutes to figure it out, but basically if you drag and drop one file at a time, it automatically converts it to a WMA file that plays just fine! Would be nice if you could dump whole sets of songs in, but it is what it is, and way better than nothing!

Awesome, I owe you a beer or six.

Now to convert 5000 songs!
Attached Images

Last edited by JimVonBaden; 06-06-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

OK, these are great. I converted over 2000 music files to wma. Do I have to convert it back to reinstall the songs I want back in the car?
      09-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
mmmm_beer
Rep

Garage List
I don't think you need to convert it back to reinstall the songs, just add the .wmv files to your usb drive or idrive. You could also play them on any Windows computer and some other OS's with a little help.

No need to drop the songs one a time, it would have been way easier (assuming you know how to script in Windows) to script it.

For example something like this should work, this will recursively look for br5 files in the %Folder%. Copy and past the code below into a file named bmwcnv.bat, change the C:\Users\WinUser\Downloads to the location of your br5 files, also update the %BMWCONV% setting to point to the location of the bmwconv.exe, then just double click the bmwcnv.bat file:

@Echo Off
set "Folder=C:\Users\WinUser\Downloads"
set "BMWCONV=C:\Users\WinUser\bmwconv.exe"
echo "Starting in folder %Folder%"
cd %Folder%
For /r %%a In (*.br5) Do (
echo "Converting %%a"
call %BMWCONV% %%a
)
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

My apologies, I managed to install them as WMA files and they work fine.

Thanks again for all your help!
      11-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
JetsetterJason
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535xi

Quote:
bmwconv mysong.br5

Yooo, I have been looking high and low for this one 1999 reggae mix cd I got at a random NYC street festival, ever since someone broke into my car and stole it in 2016! Then my car was garaged with DMV registration penalty in 2018, then covid-19 and here we are today November 2021. I get my car back on the road and discover the CD i been looking for all these years was the only cd I ever saved to the car's hard drive. You helped me get it back! Can I paypal you $20 or sumthin? geez thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 11:57 AM   #10
TobyJames
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

BR converting

I just converted 1800 songs with around 85 albums from various br5, br25 etc. files. If anyone needs any help drop me an email as there isn't a clear way to do it and i ended up finding most of it out by myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:43 AM   #11
Townssat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i

BR converting

really struggling to convert br25 and br27 files back to mp3/wma etc would appreciate some guidance on how to do this the processes above don't seem to work for me
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:48 AM   #12
Townssat
Registered
Rep

help please

really struggling to convert br25 and br27 files back to mp3/wma etc would appreciate some guidance on how to do this the processes above don't seem to work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJames View Post
I just converted 1800 songs with around 85 albums from various br5, br25 etc. files. If anyone needs any help drop me an email as there isn't a clear way to do it and i ended up finding most of it out by myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:50 AM   #13
Townssat
Registered
Rep

help please i have tried to convert br25,27 and 28 files , it seems to work with the files, but i only get approx 3 seconds of music
Appreciate 0