BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Registering my car in CA - advice on mods?

Getting ready to register my car in California so I'm currently going down my list of mods that might be an issue trying to figure out how to get around this states idiotic laws. I'm probably just being paranoid, but if anyone could chime in on how strict the state is on these things that'd be great. Living in SD and commuting to Irvine twice a week if it matters.

1. Tune - Just gonna go back to stock for smog
2. Intake - BMWPI, not too worried, think its CARB exempt since an OEM part? Hope the blue sticker that came with it isn't important cause that thing is long gone... Also have a Turner intake boot, hopefully that flies under the radar?
3. Exhaust - Muffler replaced with a Vibrant UQ resonator. ~20% quieter than a straight muffler delete so might be under the 95 dB threshold? I usually stay under 3k so its not obnoxious, think someone would really have to piss in a cop's cheerios to make him pull me for this. Will the smog guy bust my balls over this tho?
4. Tint - 40% ceramic on the sides, 90% on the windshield. They're prying this from my cold dead hands. Gonna get a letter from my optometrist, but I can't find the exemption application anywhere? I've also seen that you can't drive at night with exempt tint?

TIA for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
balkanbemve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Smog would only care about your tune and intake. Sounds like you got both covered. Where in cali you’re moving will determine how strict the cops are. Where you moving to?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 10:50 AM   #3
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by balkanbemve View Post
Smog would only care about your tune and intake. Sounds like you got both covered. Where in cali you’re moving will determine how strict the cops are. Where you moving to?
Irvine unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 05:25 AM   #4
On1xGLd
Rep
Drives: BMW 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Getting ready to register my car in California so I'm currently going down my list of mods that might be an issue trying to figure out how to get around this states idiotic laws. I'm probably just being paranoid, but if anyone could chime in on how strict the state is on these things that'd be great. Living in SD and commuting to Irvine twice a week if it matters.

1. Tune - Just gonna go back to stock for smog
2. Intake - BMWPI, not too worried, think its CARB exempt since an OEM part? Hope the blue sticker that came with it isn't important cause that thing is long gone... Also have a Turner intake boot, hopefully that flies under the radar?
3. Exhaust - Muffler replaced with a Vibrant UQ resonator. ~20% quieter than a straight muffler delete so might be under the 95 dB threshold? I usually stay under 3k so its not obnoxious, think someone would really have to piss in a cop's cheerios to make him pull me for this. Will the smog guy bust my balls over this tho?
4. Tint - 40% ceramic on the sides, 90% on the windshield. They're prying this from my cold dead hands. Gonna get a letter from my optometrist, but I can't find the exemption application anywhere? I've also seen that you can't drive at night with exempt tint?

TIA for any advice.

Do you have any sound clips of the Vibrant UQ? I just saw a video of a guy who went that route on his Z3 and it sounded pretty good but want to hear more examples.. thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 12:24 PM   #5
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by On1xGLd View Post
Do you have any sound clips of the Vibrant UQ? I just saw a video of a guy who went that route on his Z3 and it sounded pretty good but want to hear more examples.. thanks in advance
Appreciate 1