BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2021, 03:38 AM   #1
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Guys.. I f*cked up JB4

Hey guys, I recently got this E88, coming from an E46 my only car since 2015. I have a a 2008 135i 6MT M Sport. !38,XXX Miles.

Today my Used JB4 came in the mail and I immediately started the install. Everything went well. Easy diy to be honest. I started the car and it felt like it was misfiring off the jump but I figured it was adapting to the JB4. It actually started to idle well after about 4-5 minutes. Here's the Kicker. There is no throttle. I even held the pedal all the way down and still nothing. I turned the JB4 off in map 0 as well and still no throttle. So I read my manual and apparently the dash I currently have means "Complete Electronics Failure" What an F. Nothing seemingly was wrong with my car before i installed( Yea I disconnected the battery) but once I installed the JB4 I got the codes. When I bought it I didn't know it was a licensed product so I'm waiting on a response from both the seller and Burger T. to release the previous license. Tomorrow morning I plan on disconnecting the tuner to see if it will go back to normal. Could my DME be fried. Maybe a cheap fuse? Any ideas would be so helpful as this is so foreign to me.
Thanks Guys
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Pull the jb4. I bought a brand new one and had issues. The pin that you switch out in the plug for power was broke. They are very easy to snap and not realize because they are plugged in.
They are weak crap and i cut off all those connections and put new connectors on them.And make sure each set of pins is perfectly lined. I told my friend" im not an idiot the pins are correct" and when i started taking it apart one plug was 1 pin too far over. Check everything. And if its not installed wrong . just pull it out and try again. If it starts without it and runs fine then try the jb4 again.
Burger n54tech website is alot of help but emailing the company seemed to get to someone that is pretty clueless for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

As mentioned above it's all in the install. Uninstall it, meticulously check all the pins and wires comparing to the install diagram, then reinstall. Chances are something's just in wrong.

Also make sure you don't have anything like the clutch out mod, nLS or 2step or PI integration or meth controllers installed on the unit. Return it to stock first and learn the wiring harness that way.

Identify if you have a current or old model unit as well, and update the firmware.

Once you get it working and have a G5ISO unit get MHD as well and do a jB4 backend flash!

Good luck.
      03-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Pull the jb4. I bought a brand new one and had issues. The pin that you switch out in the plug for power was broke. They are very easy to snap and not realize because they are plugged in.
They are weak crap and i cut off all those connections and put new connectors on them.And make sure each set of pins is perfectly lined. I told my friend" im not an idiot the pins are correct" and when i started taking it apart one plug was 1 pin too far over. Check everything. And if its not installed wrong . just pull it out and try again. If it starts without it and runs fine then try the jb4 again.
Burger n54tech website is alot of help but emailing the company seemed to get to someone that is pretty clueless for me anyway.

Alright thanks a lot. I actually had just bought and installed a new power terminal right before install but yea I’ll pull the JB4 right now
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

DME Update

UPDATE: So I removed the JB4 such a hassle and the power connector got stuck and ended up(accidentally) breaking the green connector as well as the power terminal that I just bought. I tried to relocate the power wires but couldn’t get the female out the other side so I have a temp solution to hold the wires in place. Anyways the car started fine, and throttle is back although I now have a SES light on and I haven’t drove it yet. So the JB4 was the problem but I still want the JB4. Not sure what to look for because the connectors look fine and straight. I won’t mess with the Tuner until JB4 emails me with the license.

Just in case anyone needs to remove the power wire as well, be careful the piece with the arrow is a tab. This tab can get propped up a bit and jam. This is what causes it to get stuck. Carefully lower it, then proceed to remove how you’re supposed to. Thanks guys if anyone has some more ideas I’d love to learn [+]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Yes exact same thing that happened to me. I cut all the ends off and put better crimped connectors. Then cut the ends off to make it slide into the red wires with the blue end on it. Its really flimsy connection. Now all of them are stronger
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Yes exact same thing that happened to me. I cut all the ends off and put better crimped connectors. Then cut the ends off to make it slide into the red wires with the blue end on it. Its really flimsy connection. Now all of them are stronger
Okay cool, so buy new crimped. Thanks Petro, unfortunately the Bluetooth connector also disconnected from the pins. I looked after I posted. Again I bought this of eBay and I did see it when I received the package and wires were sticking out but it wasn’t fully disconnected until maybe after I pulled it out. I don’t want to spend 150 on it but not sure if that’s fixable. Any ideas on the Zero throttle? If I were to buy the Bluetooth kit which I Just now received the license for, was it maybe waiting for a reset of some sort? I can’t find anything online about no throttle after install. I’m trying to weigh my options as the seller gave me a couple days to figure something out. Not sure what to do at this point.

Note after taking out the JB4 I have an SES but I don’t have a scanner. Not too worried about it though. I drove the car for about 20 minutes and it was perfect. Idled great and drove just as good as it always has.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Send it back. Doesnt sound right. If even 1 of those pins is disconnected who knows what will not work. When i hooked it up wrong my car wouldnt start and my wipers were going on high as soon as i pressed the start button.
Get an mhd tune and monitor license when you get your money back. Much easier
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 11:20 PM   #9
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
This is why I went with MHD. I bought a used JB4 , looked at all the wiring and potential for problems then sold it and went MHD.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #10
Josiiah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cool, I was looking at MHD all you have to do is plug into OB2. I will try to send back, don’t know how eBay works but hopefully I can do a return. Thanks for telling me to send it back, I might’ve just kept it and took an L
Appreciate 0