BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Roc'n///M
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Nailed it....

I got a tpm pressure loss warning a couple of weeks ago ... Found a small nail in right rear tire. The nail is about a quarter inch into the tread at the outside.
Left the nail in place and pumped it up to 35psi and reset the computer , 2 weeks later (20 km and mostly garaged) the pressure is only down to 25psi and the computer hasn't issued any further warnings. I'm about to put the 1M in storage for the winter (until April )

Any opinions on whether this can be repaired??

I had my tire guy look at it, initially he said it needed to be replaced. But then said he could repair for storage but no guarantees that it won't blow out.

Curiously, he said the Michelin sales guide manual doesn't identify this tire as a run flat. It is identified as specially designed for BMW. Are the OEM tires run flats? The Michelin manual clearly identified run flats with a ZP designation for zero pressure.

I have 10k km (less than 7k miles) on these tires. The punctured tire has 8/32 and the other rear has 7/32 with both fronts at 9/32. Guess I'm not driving it hard enough. The question is, if I have to replace, can I replace just the punctured tire?

If I have to replace both rears should I expect problems if I replace with PSS's while I still have the PS2's in the front?

I was also considering wider rears 295/30ZR19 Any issues with this?

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Most shops will not repair a nail in that location per policy, as it affects the integrity of the tire.

As for your other questions, there are three ways to answer:

If you're the average Joe Shmoe who doesn't care about driving experience, replacing one of the rear tires is possible, but I would not recommend it. New tread depth is listed as 8.5/32, so new will have a 1.5/32 difference vs your current old. This will mean the tires rotate at different speeds (might not be good for the locking diff) they will hydroplane at different times and they they will grip differently, as two year old PS2s will have hardened somewhat. Would Joe Shmoe notice? Maybe not...

If you're an average BMW driver you could replace both rears, either with PS2s or with PSS. That's probably what the tire guy will tell you to do. I can tell you from experience the car will understeer if you do this, as the grip of fresh PSS or PS2s will overwhelm the front tires. I did that about 6 months ago, replacing only rears on my set of 4 PSS. Immediately I noticed the car pushing much more, especially at the autocross, where the wonderful neutral balance of the car was lost. If I was an average BMW driver who only drove on the street and never competed would I notice? Maybe not. People have replaced the rear only with PSS and not noticed, though clearly it will make balance worse. I'd never replace the rears only with wider, as the understeer will be bad.

If you're sensitive to car balance, I'd tell you to replace all 4 with PSS. This is the only option that will keep the car balance while improving grip. In this case you could go wider on both the front and rear if you'd like to, personally I wouldn't (or at least I wouldn't go much wider), but I prefer adjust-ability over outright grip. The next question is if I'd replace it now or next spring. I could go either way on there (I'd consider support that corner of the car on blocks over the winter I replaced the tires in spring) but there is a special on PSS at the moment at tire rack, so you can almost get 4 for the price of 2 at the moment. I'd probably take advantage of that and replace all 4 now. There is no shame in replacing just the rears, however, particularly if you never push it in MDM mode or TC off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc'n///M View Post
I got a tpm pressure loss warning a couple of weeks ago ... Found a small nail in right rear tire. The nail is about a quarter inch into the tread at the outside.
Left the nail in place and pumped it up to 35psi and reset the computer , 2 weeks later (20 km and mostly garaged) the pressure is only down to 25psi and the computer hasn't issued any further warnings. I'm about to put the 1M in storage for the winter (until April )

Any opinions on whether this can be repaired??

I had my tire guy look at it, initially he said it needed to be replaced. But then said he could repair for storage but no guarantees that it won't blow out.

Curiously, he said the Michelin sales guide manual doesn't identify this tire as a run flat. It is identified as specially designed for BMW. Are the OEM tires run flats? The Michelin manual clearly identified run flats with a ZP designation for zero pressure.

I have 10k km (less than 7k miles) on these tires. The punctured tire has 8/32 and the other rear has 7/32 with both fronts at 9/32. Guess I'm not driving it hard enough. The question is, if I have to replace, can I replace just the punctured tire?

If I have to replace both rears should I expect problems if I replace with PSS's while I still have the PS2's in the front?

I was also considering wider rears 295/30ZR19 Any issues with this?

11-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
BMW doesn't install runflats on M-cars. The oem tires aren't, at least per my car.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
BMW doesn't install runflats on M-cars. The oem tires aren't, at least per my car.
^^That is correct, no RFT for ///M models - Zipnbye. Not only for ///M cars but also for M135i and other quasi ///M cars too.

On my last flat tire my German tire shop said if the nail/puncture is further than 8mm from the sidewall, the tire can be repaired. Since I am likely to be driving up to 290 kph from time to time, I took no chances and replaced my two month old PS3 tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

OE tires are either BMW specific Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Continentals depending on market and none are RFT.

About the advice, I am with what Pete said, absolutely. If it would be me I would be shopping 4 stock size PSS now or maybe after winter if I am not losing too much because of current discount, or alternatively I would go a maximum +1 size front and rear.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

A third option would be to get one PS2 tire from the Tire Rack and have them shave it to match your current tread depth.
      11-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Most shops will not repair a nail in that location per policy, as it affects the integrity of the tire.

As for your other questions, there are three ways to answer:

If you're the average Joe Shmoe who doesn't care about driving experience, replacing one of the rear tires is possible, but I would not recommend it. New tread depth is listed as 8.5/32, so new will have a 1.5/32 difference vs your current old. This will mean the tires rotate at different speeds (might not be good for the locking diff) they will hydroplane at different times and they they will grip differently, as two year old PS2s will have hardened somewhat. Would Joe Shmoe notice? Maybe not...

If you're an average BMW driver you could replace both rears, either with PS2s or with PSS. That's probably what the tire guy will tell you to do. I can tell you from experience the car will understeer if you do this, as the grip of fresh PSS or PS2s will overwhelm the front tires. I did that about 6 months ago, replacing only rears on my set of 4 PSS. Immediately I noticed the car pushing much more, especially at the autocross, where the wonderful neutral balance of the car was lost. If I was an average BMW driver who only drove on the street and never competed would I notice? Maybe not. People have replaced the rear only with PSS and not noticed, though clearly it will make balance worse. I'd never replace the rears only with wider, as the understeer will be bad.

If you're sensitive to car balance, I'd tell you to replace all 4 with PSS. This is the only option that will keep the car balance while improving grip. In this case you could go wider on both the front and rear if you'd like to, personally I wouldn't (or at least I wouldn't go much wider), but I prefer adjust-ability over outright grip. The next question is if I'd replace it now or next spring. I could go either way on there (I'd consider support that corner of the car on blocks over the winter I replaced the tires in spring) but there is a special on PSS at the moment at tire rack, so you can almost get 4 for the price of 2 at the moment. I'd probably take advantage of that and replace all 4 now. There is no shame in replacing just the rears, however, particularly if you never push it in MDM mode or TC off.
I mostly agree with this answer, but there is a lot of talk on this forum about benefits of wider tires on the OEM wheels. I have suspected that things are not that simple and I refer you to excellent article in current issue of Grassroots Motorsports wherein they actually tested the tires in different widths and concluded that rarely will you improve performance with a treadwidth greater than wheel width...I think wider than oem is cosmetic, for those that like such things (or object to "stretched" look, an aesthetic issue I cannot fathom).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Roc'n///M
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I want to avoid storing with a leaking tire. Putting on blocks is an excellent idea but I have a feeling now is the time to buy off-season tires.

The shaved tire idea would get me over the hump if it's feasible, reasonable cost and it doesn't comprise the tire. Anyone else with thoughts on this idea??

If I go to new, from all the threads, it seems that either the Re11's or PSS's are the way to go.
The question now is two or four.

If all four I have a few options
1. OE sized fronts w/ wider (275/35 or 295/30) rears
2. OE fronts and rears.

Any comments or suggestions for shipping to Canada (Toronto) with Tire Rack??
Can I pickup in Buffalo?
Shipping costs are a killer at almost 50% of the purchase price.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
I have a feeling now is the time to buy off-season tires.
Seems like tire rack's PSS special is over. Both the PSS and RE-11 are great and similarly priced at just over 1k, both are good deals. PSS will last longer and will be slightly better in standing water, RE-11s are slightly stickier.
Quote:
Can I pickup in Buffalo?
You can ship to a recommended installed in Buffalo and have them installed there.
Quote:
The shaved tire idea would get me over the hump if it's feasible, reasonable cost and it doesn't comprise the tire. Anyone else with thoughts on this idea??
It's a good idea, and shouldn't be a problem (though you will still see a grip difference due to the tire age). However at $405 plus probably $35 for shaving, plus shipping, plus a drive to Buffalo, that's going to be a pricy tire. You'll get four fresh, new, sticker tires for roughly the price of the one slightly worn replacement, seems a much better deal to me.
Quote:
1. OE sized fronts w/ wider (275/35 or 295/30) rears.
Only if you really feel the need to ruin the car's balance.
      11-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
1010Tires or TireTrends in Canada can quite often beat Tirerack's US lower prices when you look at the entire deal, shipping in.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Cheap plug for my classified ad

Hey, check out my ad in the classified for my tires. Don't know about shipping to Canada, but if you do the legwork, I can work with you....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I have got some great deals off ebay for nearly new tires in all brands and sizes. Check for a used rear tire to match your current set. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-265-35-1...ht_2673wt_1150

and:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-NICE-MIC...ht_6199wt_1150
Appreciate 0