04-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Bent drive shaft

Heads up for fellow owners.

I've recently been feeling the noise/ vibration/ harshness in my 1M deteriorate- harsh/ crashy over bumps, etc, to the point that I started looking into replacement shocks. This past weekend I started feeling/ hearing a knocking through the gearshift/ tunnel.

I suspected engine or transmission mounts- the knocking was clearly RPM dependent, initially starting at greater than 50% throttle and 4000 rpm, but within a day the amount of throttle and RPM needed went down to ~2000 rpm and <50%.

Upon inspection it turns out the actual cause was a bent driveshaft. It seems likely the carrier bearings went first, giving the driveshaft play, and that in turn allowed it to bend. Once bent the shaft was shaking the entire engine and transmission. Changed were the driveshaft, U joint, center mount, etc. Luckily it was covered under (extended) warranty, otherwise it would have cost ~2k. All is once again right with the world.

The car has 52k miles on it and has never seen the track, but it does get used as intended. FYI. Glad I sprang for the warranty extension.
      04-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

interesting thing to watch for as time goes on.... these motors develop a lot of torque.. more than most BMWs of yesteryear
Appreciate 0