09-29-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Norm1M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1m coupe

What is the best brake fluid for 1m

Hi,
I just did a track day with my 1m and I boiled my brake fluid.
I was using the stock bmw brake fluid.
I need to change it and i want to upgrade it for something better since i plan on doing other track day before the end of the season.

Im currently running stock car with upgraded brake pad (Performance Friction Z rated) and square setup Nitto NT01 275/35R18.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

I have Motul 600 in my car and it gets the job done with no boiling. Castrol SRF is considered by many to be the best. I have never been able to justify the price when Motul gets the job done for substantially less $$.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

First off, The pad you're using with the tires is a bad combination.

I'm certain you boiled the fluid, but with upgraded fluid you may very well have pad fading.

Be warned.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31
First off, The pad you're using with the tires is a bad combination.

I'm certain you boiled the fluid, but with upgraded fluid you may very well have pad fading.

Be warned.

What Kgolf said.

Norm1m

Your tires are track tires and your pads are for intermediate track duty at best.

I have no issues at all with OEM fluid on track with street tires and even R tires and I have used the same PF-Z pads.

I would imagine that you are likely over braking in brake zones, causing excessive heat buildup in the pads and rotors and thus boiling the fluid.

You can definitely Upgrade your fluid. Castrol SRF is absolutely awesome. Motul works well also.

You can upgrade pads as well, but I agree this could be dangerous.

Before you make any changes other than fluid, you need to learn to manage the brakes better and brake less.

You didn't indicate your experience level. Was this your first event or have you been to the track in the past?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Norm1M
Private
Canada
Rep

I'm kinda new at this. Strated lapping this summer and I'm at my 7th track day so far.

One thing you need to know is this track i just did is really rough on brake. It as a long straight line with a top speed of around 215 km/h with a braking down to around 120 km/h for the right corner.

We are planning to go track at Canadian Tire Motorsport park near Toronto in 2 weeks.

What kind of brake pad i should use ? Keep in mind that this car is also my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm1M
I'm kinda new at this. Strated lapping this summer and I'm at my 7th track day so far.

One thing you need to know is this track i just did is really rough on brake. It as a long straight line with a top speed of around 215 km/h with a braking down to around 120 km/h for the right corner.

We are planning to go track at Canadian Tire Motorsport park near Toronto in 2 weeks.

What kind of brake pad i should use ? Keep in mind that this car is also my daily driver.
The only combo pad I can truly recommend is Ferodo Ds2500. Other than that, perhaps hawk HP+.

Unfortunately the next stop (pun intended! ) is full on track pads!

At Circuit of the Americas the back straight I reach 235 kph and brake to about 105 kph. I don't have any issues using the same PF -Z pads and Bf Goodrich R1s. There are plenty of other long straights at COTA ... so some times it's not about absolute speed in any one section of the track, but how many other fast or slow sections are on the course.. The two tracks I have been to that are the hardest on brakes are short courses under 1.8 miles (Eagles Canyon and Hallett motor racing circuit) and speeds are never over 200 kph.

I imagine you are likely experiencing one of the following two issues that many intermediate drivers come to..

1- braking too long - i.e - not compressing braking so that you are braking as hard as possible, for the shortest amount of time possible
2- over slowing the car - i.e. - braking too long by slowing the car too much... as opposed to braking less, and carrying more speed *through* the corner.

Both of the above will result in more heat in the brakes than is necessary... and multiple laps doing so will eventually end up with brake fade or bioled fluid.

To go faster, one should actually brake *less*.... which sounds counterintuitive, but is not. The less time braking, the quicker the lap time.

If you have develped your current skill level by primarily attending lapping days without an instructor, I would recommend riding with another driver in a similar vehicle (if not a 1M,... then another BMW at least).. or having an instructor ride with you to have them review your braking.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-29-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Try ATE Superblue
      09-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
johnnyb84
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 series M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm1M View Post
It as a long straight line with a top speed of around 215 km/h with a braking down to around 120 km/h for the right corner.
Calabogie!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Norm1M
Private
Canada
Rep

Was more Sanair super speed way but i was at calabogie at the beginning of September without any problem .
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have 2liters of ATE superblue and was planning to use it for tack days this year. Is it even worth the effort, or is it comparable to the stock fluid? Maybe I should just track the car the first time on the stock fluid and see how it goes . . . stock car, street tires, fluid replaced by dealer last fall.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I have 2liters of ATE superblue and was planning to use it for tack days this year. Is it even worth the effort, or is it comparable to the stock fluid? Maybe I should just track the car the first time on the stock fluid and see how it goes . . . stock car, street tires, fluid replaced by dealer last fall.
Assuming the cans have remained sealed, it's perfectly good brake fluid for use on the track and is a significant improvement over the stock fluid.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Assuming the cans have remained sealed, it's perfectly good brake fluid for use on the track and is a significant improvement over the stock fluid.

Neil
Good to know. They are sealed cans, just haven't gotten around to using them yet.
Appreciate 0