BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Any one used fuel additive?

I bought a bottle of fuel additive claimed to clean up the carbon deposit on fuel injectors and values. Any one has any good or bad experience with this kind of products?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I started this thread a couple weeks ago, two stroke oil is used in low ratios with diesel trucks, they also have fuel pump lubrication problems with the newer low sulfur fuels. They can run biodiesel or add two stroke oil to help the pump.

it's also used in gas cars at low ratio to help lube pumps

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360881
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
SLEEPYDUB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 621whp 24v VR6-T Jetta GLI

i like to use paint thinner such as xylene or toulene...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
two cycle oil can damage the CATs and cause other issues with O2 sensors, etc.
I asked you about this, and you never replied, please see that other thread, why do you say 2 stroke oil damages cats or o2 sensors?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Most fuel additive claimed not to damage the CAT and any O2 sensors. They recommended to use every 3000 miles. So it sounds like that they are safe to use. The quality should be similar to Techron. I am going to try one bottle and see how things go.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I dump a bottle of techron in before I do my oil change. Before anybody asks I called techron to ask if the product was safe for DI engines. It took two days for a response, but they said that it was fine.

Thats the thing with the cleaners/additives. You need to change your oil immediately after you use them, the dirt that was on the internals gets partially put into the oil.

They say do it every 5K miles on the bottles, thats because 5K is the standard oil change interval on most cars.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

The 135 requires premium gas. If you are buying premium gas from one of the major oil companies (shell, esso chevron etc) the gas has additives in them. They claim the higher grades will prevent any buildups in injectors and on valves. Therefore the extra additives shouldn't be required!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
The 135 requires premium gas. If you are buying premium gas from one of the major oil companies (shell, esso chevron etc) the gas has additives in them. They claim the higher grades will prevent any buildups in injectors and on valves. Therefore the extra additives shouldn't be required!
That's true if the gas was tansported in a clean tanker, and placed in a clean storage tank and pumped through a clean pump that had a dedicated nozzle for each grade of gas...Techron once every 6 months!
      04-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Because the CAT and car makers have tested excessive engine oil fumes damaging CAT mufflers. If you check most OMs tell you not to over-fill the engine oil for this reason. Some oil filter caps on newer models also have a symbol to show not to over-fill the engine oil because of documented damage to the CATs which run excessively hot when they get oil in them. There is also the possibility of a fire from over-heated CATs.
overfilling the oil can cause gasket failures, I've never heard of overfilling the oil hurting cats, until you posted this, do you have any links you can provide? as I said in the other thread, I've tried to find anything that would support what you typed above, but I have not had any luck

so one more time, can you provide sources? People have been using 2 stroke oil and oil additives which are basically the exact same thing, with cats for years, without damage or "fires" lol

keep in mind the levels people are adding are so low that smoke is not produced, 1oz to a couple gallons is typical, some do 1oz to 5 gallons, vs a actual 2 stroke motor that uses 5-10 times that much oil

When I want oil info, I go to bobistheoilguy.com and they happen to have a thread about using two stroke oil in cars

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1639423&page=1

Last edited by imported_mega; 04-13-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I use a couple of small bottles every 3k miles or so.....Techron FTW.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I wouldn't put ANYTHING in the fuel tank that isn't specificly approved by BMW. Of course the companies selling the additives are going to tell you it's safe, because they want you to buy the stuff, but it's pretty unlikely they've done any specific testing on BMWs.

I'm of the opinion that the most of that stuff is just snake oil anyway, but that's JMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As previously advised new vehicle OMs have the warning information regarding over-filling the engine oil damaging CATs as do the oil filler caps on many models. I know for a fact Audi and VW have this in their manuals but other car makers may also.

Oil suppliers also reduced ZDDP content of oils starting with API SM spec oils due to the fact that even a small quantity of ZDDP can harm CAT mufflers and this only comes from crankcase vent systems, so oil vapors can be very damaging to CATs.
zddp was in gas, you can still get zddp oil and oil additives, but keep in mind, two stroke engines use cats too, there's nothing in tcw3 two stroke oil that could harm a cat, at least as far as I've found.

I'm going to look for an audi or vw manual, do you know exactly what model you saw this oil overfill damaging cat warning?

It's pretty common to overfill cars going onto the track, because of oil starvation under long cornering, seriously the first time I've ever heard of oil level affecting your cats is this thread, how exactly does this happen?
Appreciate 0