BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1

BEF Issues after Spark Plug change

Recently got DME unlocked and flashed the PUMP BEF. Been working great for a few weeks. New NGK's gapped to .022 yesterday and today first WOT test. Car sputtering after a couple seconds of WOT. HPFP? e30 mix. Mix has always been fine.
Anything I should adjust through the app?

2 logs
https://datazap.me/u/inevitab1e/new-...log=0&data=1-4

Log 5 days ago
https://datazap.me/u/inevitab1e/mhd-...log=0&data=1-4

Last edited by inevitab1e; 07-20-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

No comments, but there has been lots of complaining from people running anything but the exact OE plugs, which your NGKs are not. Are you running a different heat range from stock?

The bigger question is why use a JB4 in 2018, when we have full access to the ECU? Are you using it to run meth, nitrous, or quick change boost control? If not you're just adding another point of failure to do something a remap will do better.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Coil is not fully seated.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
No comments, but there has been lots of complaining from people running anything but the exact OE plugs, which your NGKs are not. Are you running a different heat range from stock?

The bigger question is why use a JB4 in 2018, when we have full access to the ECU? Are you using it to run meth, nitrous, or quick change boost control? If not you're just adding another point of failure to do something a remap will do better.
I just added the MHD BEF w/ JB4. I like the combination. Car ran great before the plug change yesterday. My previous plugs were the same NGK's. These are 1 step colder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
That would mess with the HPFP? I could check the coils again. Only thing I can see in the logs is the HPFP diving as the RPM's go higher. Also IGN6 is lagging, that's probably the coil.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
I just added the MHD BEF w/ JB4. I like the combination.
You didn't answer the question, lol. For what purpose is the JB4 installed? If there is no special purpose, like those listed above, you are better off with a pure remap and no jb4.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
1. Recently got DME unlocked and flashed the PUMP BEF. Been working great for a few weeks.
2. New NGK's gapped to .022 yesterday and today first WOT test. Car sputtering after a couple seconds of WOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

Quote:
That would mess with the HPFP?

It wouldn't. You're trying to diagnose a problem without verifying no mechanical errors. You are skipping to step 9 before doing step 1, recheck recent work. Which in your case, far as you've told us, is sparkplugs.
So something at the sparkplug is where step 1 is. Whether that is a coil not seated or a wrong/damaged/bad out of the box plug is up to you to check, we physically can't. And a log isn't going to tell us either.

Unless there's more you're not telling us ...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You didn't answer the question, lol. For what purpose is the JB4 installed? If there is no special purpose, like those listed above, you are better off with a pure remap and no jb4.
Safety reasons and I just don't want to pull out the JB4 because I spent money on it? You'd recommend removing JB4 entirely? What benefit would I see doing that compared to the BEF w/ JB4 controlling boost?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, yanked out the JB4 and flashed the S2+ 93. I do have a e30 mix, this tune doesn't feel as strong as the BEF. Since I'm using E85, should I go to the S2+ 95 octane or the E85 mix map?

Can you use a e30 mix with any of the S2+ flashes?

https://datazap.me/u/inevitab1e/mhd-...27-28-29-30-31
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I would say the log looks very clean. You can run E30 mix on any stock turbo file including stock programming. The car's fueling adaptation will take care of the mixture. That's the same functionality in the E30 special tune, it just relies on the normal fueling adaptation function to get the mixture right. Thank your wideband o2.

I see that you removed the JB4 but this is my reasoning for why you don't want it (and you can always sell it quickly on classifieds here, of course):

Quote:
Safety reasons and I just don't want to pull out the JB4 because I spent money on it? You'd recommend removing JB4 entirely? What benefit would I see doing that compared to the BEF w/ JB4 controlling boost?
You can have a JB4 hijack some sensors and add another means of failure to your system or you can use the stock ECU, which in your case provides the same functionality, but with over a hundred complex maps changed to provide stock like drivability and reliability. The JB4 is not a failsafe and your stock ECU is already equipped to protect the engine from a variety of threats, most notably high EGT and detonation.

At this point JB4 is ONLY useful for running meth, nitrous, or doing quick boost limit changes since those are functionalities not provided by a remapped ECU. And for the last one, you can just take 3 minutes to write a new flash, so it's not much of an advantage. How often do you change boost levels anyway? Probably only when changing fuels or running an event, so a 3 minute reflash isn't a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would say the log looks very clean. You can run E30 mix on any stock turbo file including stock programming. The car's fueling adaptation will take care of the mixture. That's the same functionality in the E30 special tune, it just relies on the normal fueling adaptation function to get the mixture right. Thank your wideband o2.

I see that you removed the JB4 but this is my reasoning for why you don't want it (and you can always sell it quickly on classifieds here, of course):

You can have a JB4 hijack some sensors and add another means of failure to your system or you can use the stock ECU, which in your case provides the same functionality, but with over a hundred complex maps changed to provide stock like drivability and reliability. The JB4 is not a failsafe and your stock ECU is already equipped to protect the engine from a variety of threats, most notably high EGT and detonation.

At this point JB4 is ONLY useful for running meth, nitrous, or doing quick boost limit changes since those are functionalities not provided by a remapped ECU. And for the last one, you can just take 3 minutes to write a new flash, so it's not much of an advantage. How often do you change boost levels anyway? Probably only when changing fuels or running an event, so a 3 minute reflash isn't a big deal.
Well, JB4 went back in today. The JB4 only controls boost, nothing else. The BEF does what you mentioned for fueling, timing, etc. When I first went for a drive I knew I wasn't gonna keep it. CEL can't be cleared without the cable, can't BT monitor. I did buy the S2 maps and the e85 mix map. I asked for a refund because I want to go back to the BEF.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well, JB4 went back in today. The JB4 only controls boost, nothing else. The BEF does what you mentioned for fueling, timing, etc. When I first went for a drive I knew I wasn't gonna keep it. CEL can't be cleared without the cable, can't BT monitor. I did buy the S2 maps and the e85 mix map. I asked for a refund because I want to go back to the BEF.
That doesn't make sense. You have a very expensive ECU that is totally AWESOME at boost control and will target whatever levels you want just a reflash away. Why would you use the JB4 for that, adding an unnecessary and additional layer of failure? Are you changing your boost every 5 minutes? Do you understand what I'm saying?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #12
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. You have a very expensive ECU that is totally AWESOME at boost control and will target whatever levels you want just a reflash away. Why would you use the JB4 for that, adding an unnecessary and additional layer of failure? Are you changing your boost every 5 minutes? Do you understand what I'm saying?
I do understand what you're saying. I already paid for the JB4 long ago. There's nothing wrong with allowing the JB4 to run the boost. The targets are higher as well. I don't want to have to press an extra button when I start the car. I don't want to have to connect a cable to clear an annoying CEL telling me I have a downpipe installed 3x a day. I don't want to monitor my engine via cable.

What else do you want to know? You do realize a BEF is essentially the same thing as a normal flash minus the boost?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do understand what you're saying. I already paid for the JB4 long ago. There's nothing wrong with allowing the JB4 to run the boost. The targets are higher as well. I don't want to have to press an extra button when I start the car. I don't want to have to connect a cable to clear an annoying CEL telling me I have a downpipe installed 3x a day. I don't want to monitor my engine via cable.

What else do you want to know? You do realize a BEF is essentially the same thing as a normal flash minus the boost?
Press a button? I hold the thing down for three seconds every time I start the car to turn DSC fully off. Pressing DSC once gives you a shitty experience that won't let you drive the car even close to its limits. I assume you mean DSC anyway. If you think that one feature is worth having a JB4, that's up to you, but really, that is very silly.

As far as targeting boost, a tune can target literally whatever you want...The only limit is what the MAP sensor can read and what your turbo can flow. Have you even opened a bin in tunerpro and seen how it works? You could even tune the car yourself...it's not that hard. The JB4 has absolutely ZERO advantage here, except quick change of boost limits...which again you can do with a 3 minute reflash in the rare event that you need to change that.

Finally, you may find it interesting that every stage 2 flash tune out there disables the CEL for a catless downpipe. Not to mention they actually let you get the car inspected (in most states) and hook whatever you want up to the OBD port, because the JB4 hasn't hijacked the whole canbus.

Now that these misconceptions have been corrected, what say you?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #14
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Press a button? I hold the thing down for three seconds every time I start the car to turn DSC fully off. Pressing DSC once gives you a shitty experience that won't let you drive the car even close to its limits. I assume you mean DSC anyway. If you think that one feature is worth having a JB4, that's up to you, but really, that is very silly.

As far as targeting boost, a tune can target literally whatever you want...The only limit is what the MAP sensor can read and what your turbo can flow. Have you even opened a bin in tunerpro and seen how it works? You could even tune the car yourself...it's not that hard. The JB4 has absolutely ZERO advantage here, except quick change of boost limits...which again you can do with a 3 minute reflash in the rare event that you need to change that.

Finally, you may find it interesting that every stage 2 flash tune out there disables the CEL for a catless downpipe. Not to mention they actually let you get the car inspected (in most states) and hook whatever you want up to the OBD port, because the JB4 hasn't hijacked the whole canbus.

Now that these misconceptions have been corrected, what say you?
I like clearing codes from the steering wheel. Monitoring wirelessly. Additional safety. Sure I could attempt to tune it myself, but I'd rather pay a professional. Lots of people run the BEF instead of the full flash. I think you're good to go either direction.

Having the JB4 does add additional convenience.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #15
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I like clearing codes from the steering wheel. Monitoring wirelessly. Additional safety. Sure I could attempt to tune it myself, but I'd rather pay a professional. Lots of people run the BEF instead of the full flash. I think you're good to go either direction.

Having the JB4 does add additional convenience.
Explain how the JB4 gives you any additional safety, considering that you are using it to do something redundant and for the fifth time, adding an unnecessary point of failure (actually several points of failure, considering the multiple connections the JB4 makes as well as the box itself).

You need to clear codes from the wheel...that's funny. If your car is giving you codes that often there's something quite wrong. Anyway, you can clear codes in a few seconds with MHD, wirelessly if you want.

Wireless monitoring? You're aware that MHD can do that, right? And probably others too, what with bluetooth OBD adaptors.

I think it's pretty clear what's going on here. One of my favorite quotes should do nicely: "It's easier to fool a man than convince him he's being fooled".

Eagerly await your response.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #16
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Explain how the JB4 gives you any additional safety, considering that you are using it to do something redundant and for the fifth time, adding an unnecessary point of failure (actually several points of failure, considering the multiple connections the JB4 makes as well as the box itself).
Do you even understand why I had JB4 to begin with? It's not like I looked at the marketplace and said, hey let's go JB4 instead of MHD. JB4 doesn't get into boost until 160F. Among other reasons why.

Quote:
You need to clear codes from the wheel...that's funny. If your car is giving you codes that often there's something quite wrong. Anyway, you can clear codes in a few seconds with MHD, wirelessly if you want.
Yes, tuner codes. Even the DP light on the dash. These aren't serious codes.

Quote:
Wireless monitoring? You're aware that MHD can do that, right? And probably others too, what with bluetooth OBD adaptors.
Wasn't aware. I'll have to add that to my other one for MHD.
Quote:
I think it's pretty clear what's going on here. One of my favorite quotes should do nicely: "It's easier to fool a man than convince him he's being fooled".

Eagerly await your response.
What's going on here? You clearly don't understand the situation at hand and why I have JB4 to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I rest my case. You can't make this stuff up, folks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #18
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I rest my case. You can't make this stuff up, folks.
Sorry, I have a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #19
vinxs
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

This thread is fucking hilarious!!!!

The Wind Breezes you sure as hell' got some patience
Appreciate 0