BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2022, 07:55 AM   #23
steevo_102
Rep
Drives: BMW E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Interesting reading this thread after 4 years. I still have the same complaints about N52 throttle response, but I've learned to live with it. I have a 3IM sitting in my garage, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. I wonder if anyone noticed any difference going from a stock N52 to a 3IM. Is there any difference in throttle response between an N51 and N52?
After coming from a car that had sharp throttle response this might irk me...
If the throttle response is bad enough & there's no available tools to adjust the throttle response via DCAN, then I might opt for hardware like the Pedal Commander.

I'll send an email over to MHD to see if they'd be interested in producing software for the N51/N52.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 09:14 AM   #24
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Never saw this post before, we have a fairly long thread in the track subforum related to issues getting a throttle blip during heel-toe downshift.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1833057

I will say though that throttle response under normal driving conditions is excellent on my car (N51). I'm running the Stage FP tune, euro airbox, silicone intake boot, and AA headers.

Last edited by spidertri; 09-29-2022 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #25
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Yeah, the more I think about it a 3IM isn't going to help. I'm convinced there is a delay purposely built into the throttle's reaction time.

I may break down and try the dreaded pedal tuner, but I really don't want to change the throttle mapping. I just want to eliminate the damn delay.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #26
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

I went ahead and ordered the BMS pedal tuner. I doubt that I'll use anything but the lowest setting, but maybe it will fix some of the dead pedal feel.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 2
Blau333.00
      09-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #27
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting reading this thread after 4 years. I still have the same complaints about N52 throttle response, but I've learned to live with it. I have a 3IM sitting in my garage, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. I wonder if anyone noticed any difference going from a stock N52 to a 3IM. Is there any difference in throttle response between an N51 and N52?
It didn't affect the throttle response itself for me, but the extra low end torque did make engine feel more responsive and eager to get going.
Appreciate 1
Blau333.00
      09-29-2022, 08:42 PM   #28
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered the BMS pedal tuner. I doubt that I'll use anything but the lowest setting, but maybe it will fix some of the dead pedal feel.
I got the BMS power box and it helped tremendously. I did it to see if I think it would be worth it to get a real tune. The PBX was $100 which is a lot less than the BPC or AA tune. It has made a difference in feel, which I care way more about than numbers. Still on the fence regarding that real tune...

There is still some slight delay, but I run my power box on MAP 3 and it definitely moves a lot faster that it does on MAP 0, which is stock.

My motor mods are - Euro box, turner intake boot, Berk Race exhaust, BMS PBX. I'm in a n51.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 01:45 AM   #29
steevo_102
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Never saw this post before, we have a fairly long thread in the track subforum related to issues getting a throttle blip during heel-toe downshift.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1833057

I will say though that throttle response under normal driving conditions is excellent on my car (N51). I'm running the Stage FP tune, euro airbox, silicone intake boot, and AA headers.
I have yet to drive an E82 so maybe I'm being presumptuous in my assertion but it does sound like it's something that can be improved. I'll give the thread a read, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Ultimately my goal is to re-map the throttle to be linear, I don't know what the stock curve looks like but I hate when pressing the pedal past 50% barely anything happens because all the response is up top to make it feel torquey. Adding a pedal box might inflate this issue at the cost of removing the delay to make the throttle more responsive. But keep us updated on how this works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 11:54 AM   #30
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo_102 View Post
Ultimately my goal is to re-map the throttle to be linear, I don't know what the stock curve looks like but I hate when pressing the pedal past 50% barely anything happens because all the response is up top to make it feel torquey. Adding a pedal box might inflate this issue at the cost of removing the delay to make the throttle more responsive. But keep us updated on how this works out.
I agree completely. It's usually the manufacturers doing it to fool you into thinking your car is more powerful. Subaru is pretty bad about this. My stock Outback 3.6 feels massively powerful until you realize that there's nothing left after 1/2 throttle.

The BMS might actually help our cars in this regard when it comes to blipping the throttle for a downshift. It's not a true fix, but maybe it can mask the problem slightly. Time will tell...

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 04:23 PM   #31
2tonik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Sport 6MT Ti Silver

Pedal mapping and lose the CDV - cheapest fix

However the 3 stage intake conversion and a Stage FP tune will take care of the throttle mapping and transform the driving experience and fun factor Big Time.
DISA Intake, AA Header, MILV's, Stage FP Tune, VAC Motorsports Quaife LSD, CDV Delete, M3 Upper and Lower Front Control Arms, Powerflex Yellow RSFB’s, "Square" Tire/Wheel Set Up: Michelin PS A/S 3 225/45 17"'s on 17"x7.5" Type 262's
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 12:53 AM   #32
steevo_102
Rep

MHD emailed me back, they responded "We don't have plans for the N52 at the moment."
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #33
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Yeah, that's been their position for years.

To get anywhere with the N52 you'd need the help of someone like hassmaschine who has done quite a bit of deconstruction of the MSV70/80 or start from scratch with a damos file like imported_mega talks about in the other thread.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #34
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep

So I installed the BMS this morning and the results are satisfactory. There are three stages and within each stage there are three further levels of adjustment. Stage 2 and Race mode are way too aggressive in my opinion. They feel very artificial and it's somewhat difficult to modulate the throttle from a stop.

Even the standard stage 1 is just a little aggressive in my opinion. I dialed it back one click from standard stage 1 and that seems to be the sweet spot. I'll try it for a week and then go back to stock to see how much of a difference it makes.

My goal was only to remove some of the delay inherent in the BMW's throttle programming. The BMS isn't really a fix for that, but it does help mask the problem. It's now easier to blip the throttle for a downshift. You can tap the throttle instead of punching it half-way to the floor before the engine does anything. I really wish there was a true fix, but the 3IM may also help a little when I get around to installing everything.

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #35
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tonik View Post
However the 3 stage intake conversion and a Stage FP tune will take care of the throttle mapping and transform the driving experience and fun factor Big Time.
Yes +1
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 05:56 PM   #36
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
I can't say I remember really noticing this problem when stock. The CDV problem I definitely noticed. I will say now, with 3Stage Manifold and AA tune there is no problem at all, response is instant. By the way, a set of Bimmerworld Aluminum pedals is a great help with heel / toe. Gas pedal is extended about 1/4" in width, makes for more positive contact on the blip which could actually be part of the problem.
Appreciate 0