BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
dskjl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135I CV

Weatherford BMW wont fix my car

Well i bought a 135iCV CPO with the extended maintenance coverage back in Aug and there was a fairly long list of issues with the car.
  • small hole in the interior of the roof
  • auto dim mirrors stuck in Dim mode
  • shifter handle de-laminating
  • rattles in the dash
  • dash de-laminating
  • center console de-laminating
  • over spray in the cockpit
  • dirty seats and door panels
  • dirty carpet
  • Paint came off the wheels after a wash
  • front bumper needed some touch up

All of the list less a couple of (huge to me) issues were addressed by the dealer without question and were covered under the new car warranty. Thank you forum members for your posts about getting things into the dealer before the warranty expires my car has 46k miles on it.

The reason for this post is really the seats. It appears they were re-spayed at some point as were the door panels and it was done poorly. When i bought the car they said it needed detailing and that would fix the majority of the issue, it didn't which lead me to a detail shop and thats when it was discovered a re-spray had been done and that it was done in the wrong color which is what made the interior look dirty.

The dealer has had the car for about 7 weeks fixing all the stuff less the seats and announced to me tonight that they have done all they are willing to do and to pick of my car. The tone of the sales manager was very stern and unfriendly and he was very clear with me that my business was not appreciated and that they are not going to do anything else with my car to make the seats write.

They attempted to fix the passenger seat by spraying it yet again and it looks good but does not match the rest of the interior because it too is another shade of Grey.

When i bought the car it was noted in the purchase docs that the dealer would re-spray the front bumper. Tonight I offered to pass on the re-spray of the bumper and asked if they would instead, spend the money on replacing the seat covers. I'm told the seat covers cost about 1.2k dealer cost and it seemed to me a reasonable thing to ask since i had been waiting so long and clearly the seats were tampered with. The response was a resounding NO, come and get your car, we are done.

During the weeks of waiting for my car I have offered to buy another car to replace this one and to increase my budget and spend more money, I have been patient and polite and have been treated with respect and courtesy until tonight.

Overall a very disappointing experience and the seats and door panels look like hell.

I called BMW North America on the advice of my lawyer and they listened very politely and told me they would call the dealer but that they could make no guaranties. the Rep on the phone was a very nice guy and very attentive and understanding. Well done BMW North America.

Now to see what comeS next, my guess is that I am going to be stuck with a botched interior and have to escalate this further and turn it over to my attorney. He is family so it costs me nothing which is a huge advantage for me.

Thoughts, comments, and advise are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dskjl; 10-24-2012 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Honestly, call another BMW service department in your area and get their opinion and see if they will fix it. If not, pursue it through BMWNA and be completely honest. Make sure you get the quote saying that the seats have not been painted properly from that shop you went to. What BMWNA will do is contact the dealership and see what their opinion is, if your story doesn't match up you will need proof. I dont know exactly what would happen in your situation as my dealership was on my side about my car but had its hands tied.

Ask BMWNA to make the situation right by what you see fit and if the request isn't ridiculous then BMWNA will authorize the repair themselves.

But since it's already been escalated, sit back and relax. I would make sure to give BMWNA proof that the tone of the seat hadn't been properly matched.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You bought a used car. Perhaps you should have bought a nicer example!?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
dskjl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You bought a used car. Perhaps you should have bought a nicer example!?
I follow you, it was thought that the discoloration was dirt or pitch from sitting under a tree and could easily be cleaned (per the dealer). It turned out to be color in a can and not so easy an issue to correct.

The rest of the items on the list were all factory warranty issues some of which I found out about from the forum and brought forward (of course not until after i bought the car as I was not a member before this purchase). Some of it was identified by the service department and they recomended the replacements etc...

Over all a very nice car with the exeption of the poorrly treated interior, more to follow.

Respectfully,

A new guy
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
dskjl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Honestly, call another BMW service department in your area and get their opinion and see if they will fix it. If not, pursue it through BMWNA and be completely honest. Make sure you get the quote saying that the seats have not been painted properly from that shop you went to. What BMWNA will do is contact the dealership and see what their opinion is, if your story doesn't match up you will need proof. I don't know exactly what would happen in your situation as my dealership was on my side about my car but had its hands tied.

Ask BMWNA to make the situation right by what you see fit and if the request isn't ridiculous then BMWNA will authorize the repair themselves.

But since it's already been escalated, sit back and relax. I would make sure to give BMWNA proof that the tone of the seat hadn't been properly matched.
Will from BMWNA called me back to day and we talk about the issues in greater detail. I told him that I understood it was a used car and that I did not want to be unreasonable. His reply was something along these lines, "Sir you bought a used BMW not just some used car".

I went to pickup the car today as directed by the sales manager and the service department told me to leave it another day because the wheels had been refinished and needed another day to cure.

One of the dealers managers called me today and said the factory rep would be in town soon and they wanted him to look at the car and make the call. I'm fine with that and am looking forward to his feedback.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to take some pics and send them to Will the BMWNA rep i have been speaking with.

Thanks again,
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
No problem. I would be annoyed too. I haven't had anything that required escalation except for the number of times my car was in for service. Good luck, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskjl View Post
Will from BMWNA called me back to day and we talk about the issues in greater detail. I told him that I understood it was a used car and that I did not want to be unreasonable. His reply was something along these lines, "Sir you bought a used BMW not just some used car".

I went to pickup the car today as directed by the sales manager and the service department told me to leave it another day because the wheels had been refinished and needed another day to cure.

One of the dealers managers called me today and said the factory rep would be in town soon and they wanted him to look at the car and make the call. I'm fine with that and am looking forward to his feedback.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to take some pics and send them to Will the BMWNA rep i have been speaking with.

Thanks again,
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
dskjl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
No problem. I would be annoyed too. I haven't had anything that required escalation except for the number of times my car was in for service. Good luck, man!
Thanks, It should be noted that although the Sales Manager at Weatherford BMW is clearly not a customer centric leader, the BMWNA team have been very pleasant to deal with and seem genuinely interested in customer satisfaction. Regardless of the outcome, which is yet to be determined, Well done BMWNA.
Appreciate 0