BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
luna-c
Rep
Drives: 1M

Which tuner: Evolve/DMS/Dinan..? Catless down pipes or N55 mid pipes?

I’m thinking of tuning my 1M. Currently completely stock.
I’m looking for a strong and practical set up – something that will retain the reliability and drivability of the standard car but make it even more fun to drive when you do want to put your foot down.

I can see 2 different set ups :
ECU remap / catless down pipes / uprated intercooler (primary cat bypass)
or
ECU remap / N55 mid pipes / uprated intercooler (secondary cat bypass).

I purposefully do not want to change the rear muffler as outwardly I would like to keep a stock appearance.

Re. ECU remap – who does the forum recommend : Evolve / DMS / Dinan………………..? Clearly for me this needs to be the most reputable company.

Evolve opts for the primary cat bypass and DMS for the secondary and from what I can see (from reading articles in BMW Car magazine) both achieve the same power/torque gains (430bhp/475lb-ft).

Personally I would have thought the Evolve route (changing the down pipes) would have released more power as the primary cats are the most restrictive.

I’ve heard, though, that changing the down pipes alters the car’s characteristics / power delivery - reducing low down torque and instead increasing the top end. Also, that it’s too noisy (not in a good way).

I’m looking for a fast road rather than track set up so if the above has any truth perhaps the N55 mid pipes are the better option. Low end torque must be more beneficial on the road.

Your thoughts on all the above points are most welcome.

How about passing the UK MOT. I believe as long as the primary or secondary cats stay in place the car will pass the emissions test. HOWEVER, I have seen in the MOT manual 2012 onwards it states : ‘a catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard’ is a reason for rejection.

Has anybody had a bad MOT experience? Clearly swapping down pipes at MOT time is an expensive affair and not something I intend on doing. N55 mid pipes clearly much easier to replace for MOT purposes if necessary.

Has anybody had issues with BMW at service time with their modified cars?
My heart seems to be telling me to go the Evolve catless down pipe route but my head seems to be pushing me in the direction of DMS and replacing the mid pipes (due to the catless down pipes possible reduction in low end torque / possible MOT issues / cost of returning to stock when the time has come to sell the 1M).

Again, your thoughts / views / opinions on all these related topics are most welcome. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
moram3
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

I went with the Evolve Remap, Evolve Intercooler and N55 mid pipes which Evolve can also supply a remap for. I’ve been very happy with these changes, especially the low end torque and more responsiveness feel throughout the rev range. The N55 pipe also adds a bit to the improvement in sound without making it overly loud or droning. Regarding MOT, I’ve not had any issues regarding emissions and it sailed through. However, I did have spare gaskets/clamps/bolts on standby just in case - worth ordering an extra set if you go with the N55 mid pipe route.

Unfortunately, I’m unable to confirm the power/torque gains as the cars never been on a rolling road.

Either way, I don’t think there’s much difference and just down to individual’s preference.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
luna-c
Rep

Thanks for the info. moram3. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

I've got castles downpipes and install the secondary cats for mot and the car passes, although a good drive before the mot is recommended.

I'd remove the downpipes because the car is much better for it, it's sounds great and not much louder, temperatures are reduced, throttle response is great and it can pass mot without them.

I had stock tune with full catless super sprint exhaust setup, evolve intercooler, evolutionworks charge pipe and afe intake, car produced 360bhp at the wheels. Really impressive I thought. There was no afr issues on the stock tune-in fact they were perfectly in line with the stock setup-with those modifications so you could install them without a tune and gain 25/30 bhp.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
luna-c
Rep

That power increase sounds great without a remap! Bet the full Supersprint exhaust set you back a bit though kiysersosae! Did you go for resonated or non-resonated centre section? What about the back box - did you opt for the race version? Must have sounded quite a lot louder than stock running fully catless.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna-c View Post
That power increase sounds great without a remap! Bet the full Supersprint exhaust set you back a bit though kiysersosae! Did you go for resonated or non-resonated centre section? What about the back box - did you opt for the race version? Must have sounded quite a lot louder than stock running fully catless.
Yeah it wasn't cheap, cheaper than akrapovic but just as good quality, plus I like when exhausts have been designed on the model they are built for - and they back up with he dyno results.

I went for the non resonated first but with the catless dp it was really loud(sounded awesome) and I left it like that for a while but then purchased a resonated section and it's so much better keeping the racey tone at high rpm but no rasp and no def ears on motorway. I went for the race back box, it's an evolve back box but it was made by Supersprint and looks identical to the Supersprint one, everything else is Supersprint.
Appreciate 0