BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #45
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

Is nobody going to comment on the fact that he used anti seize on the mating surface of the spacers/disk brake?

Please for your own safety, nobody do that. Even paint on the mating surface is bad; as it wears down, or as the anti seize slowly leaks out, your tires can become out of torque, shear off, then your screwed.

Also never use it on your lugs, they're designed for dry torque specifications. Anti seize can distort your torque readings and cause you to stretch your lug bolts/studs.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 05:56 AM   #46
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagnus7 View Post
Is nobody going to comment on the fact that he used anti seize on the mating surface of the spacers/disk brake?

Please for your own safety, nobody do that. Even paint on the mating surface is bad; as it wears down, or as the anti seize slowly leaks out, your tires can become out of torque, shear off, then your screwed.

Also never use it on your lugs, they're designed for dry torque specifications. Anti seize can distort your torque readings and cause you to stretch your lug bolts/studs.
Have any sources to support the first claim? I have put anti-seize on the face of my wheels for my entire driving career and have never seen a wheel come loose from anti-seize leaking out. Nor have I ever seen it leak out. I have, however, on multiple occasions, had to beat a wheel off the rotor hat/hub with a sledgehammer due to it being rusted on. I do check my lug torque on all my cars fairly frequently though so maybe that is why I'm not seeing the problems you're describing.

To your second point about anti-seize on the lugs, I've always put anti-seize on these too but I researched and it looks like everyone says to NOT do that for the reason you described. So I'll be changing that in the future - thank you for this post!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #47
gmagnus7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i FBO N54 MT

Fair enough. I don't have first hand experience with putting it on the face. But from I understand when you add any sort of lubricant, it can skew the torque readings, make you over tighten and stretch the lugs, which can then make your wheel come loose and fall off.

On that note however, the concept is the same. The lugs create a pressure, which creates friction between the rim and the mounting surface. If you have anything between them, whether paint or anti seize, it can squeeze out, chip, and fall off. Then the same thing happens, your wheel is loose and not torqued correctly, comes loose, and falls off.

Honestly though, I've never heard of it happening in reality. Most people likely change tires and rims often enough it's not a huge issue, and if you check them regularly you'll be good.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #48
Blu3RSX
Industrial Designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i. It's blu3 ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2521 View Post
Funny... I think the stock wheels look better than most aftermarket wheels. Aftermarket takes away from the "class" of the car. Only thing they need is a little depth. So spacers, in my opinion are the answer.
Yeah, I would agree with this...I haven't found any aftermarket wheels that really make me itch to separate money from my wallet.
BMS Pedal Tuner
ARM 5" Intercooler
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #49
Costello1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 135is

should have gone 15 and 12 instead. looks that much better.