BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #67
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500AF View Post
Interesting and thanks for you write up. So when the chip advertiser the HP gain its at the crank and not the rear wheel?
Yes, Dinan advertises crank numbers.
Yep...Like Cavpilot2k said!

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #68
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2012 135I 6MT AW/RED

Hello everyone! I don't mean to intrude on this thread but I was hoping to gain some insight on options for Intercooler/oil cooler upgrade to support Dinan S3. I recently just purchased another 1 Series after selling mine about 4 years ago. 2012 135i 6MT, with M-sport package. Performance Mods include Dinan S3, Remus exhaust, Injen cold air intake. So after reading through some posts, it would make sense that my next mods should be to upgrade the intercooler/oil cooler (after I go through all scheduled maintenance of course). What are some reliable alternative besides the Dinan options? Or would it be best to stick with Dinan since they design this to support their S3 tune?
Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated. I'm happy to be drive a One again!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #69
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I thought that the oil cooler upgrade was required before the S3 software was downloaded. Am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #70
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
I thought that the oil cooler upgrade was required before the S3 software was downloaded. Am I wrong?
Dinan requires both an oil cooler and an intercooler upgrade.
That doesn't mean some indy shops won't do it anyway if you tell them to and accept responsibility for going against manufacturer recommendations.

If something went wrong and you didn't have the required upgrades, it's doubtful that Dinan would honor their warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #71
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue135 View Post
Dinan requires both an oil cooler and an intercooler upgrade.
That doesn't mean some indy shops won't do it anyway if you tell them to and accept responsibility for going against manufacturer recommendations.

If something went wrong and you didn't have the required upgrades, it's doubtful that Dinan would honor their warranty.
Here's what Dinan says about running S3 without the required oil cooler and intercooler upgrades:

Quote:
In regards to S3 and the upgraded oil cooler/intercooler. The car will physically run without those modifications it just wont be able to pushed too hard before it is in limp mode is all. Puts undo stress on the rest of the engine since the cooling system is not up to the task without those additional components. At this point all of those cars are out of warranty though so if people want to push them without supporting hardware that is their prerogative.
My indy shop said:

Quote:
We would not recommend adding Stage 3 software without the required coolers. Dinan requires the coolers for long term longevity, and to reduce heat soak. The peak numbers are 18 & 7, but the power curve is much more aggressive, and the area under the entire power curve is increased. This leads to more heat. There is a reason why Dinan has a stellar reputation when it comes to reliability, and it is because they don't cut corners when tuning. Turbo power produces heat, and heat is what kills engines. I hope that clarifies things for you.
      05-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #72
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

So better late then never I guess? lol...The car came from New York originally and my guess was he didn't drive the car super hard or track it much because the car is in really great shape. 52K on the odometer and he had the S3 installed by an Independent shop for sure, he had all receipts. I haven't had any issues with going into limp mode but since I know she's missing the oil cooler/intercooler I'm very mindful of boosting hard for long periods. I'm been very conservative with driving her until I can get the rest of the supporting mods in place. With that said, is it just easier to stick with Dinan everything or are there any other more cost effective alternatives for high performance oil coolers/intercoolers that provide similar results to Dinan? I actually am leaning towards just forking up the cash for the Dinan Oil cooler and maybe go with a different intercooler set up like Wagner Evo or Acitive autowerke. Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:20 PM   #73
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMCLASSIC View Post
So better late then never I guess? lol...The car came from New York originally and my guess was he didn't drive the car super hard or track it much because the car is in really great shape. 52K on the odometer and he had the S3 installed by an Independent shop for sure, he had all receipts. I haven't had any issues with going into limp mode but since I know she's missing the oil cooler/intercooler I'm very mindful of boosting hard for long periods. I'm been very conservative with driving her until I can get the rest of the supporting mods in place. With that said, is it just easier to stick with Dinan everything or are there any other more cost effective alternatives for high performance oil coolers/intercoolers that provide similar results to Dinan? I actually am leaning towards just forking up the cash for the Dinan Oil cooler and maybe go with a different intercooler set up like Wagner Evo or Acitive autowerke. Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure I've heard of people using aftermarket coolers other than the Dinan ones for S3. Maybe PhillyfaanM3, the OP of this thread, will read this and chime in with some helpful info since he has experience with the Dinan S3 tune.
      05-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #74
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Is it possible to flash back to stock and flash back to S3 when I have the rest of the supporting mods installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #75
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've heard of people using aftermarket coolers other than the Dinan ones for S3. Maybe PhillyfaanM3, the OP of this thread, will read this and chime in with some helpful info since he has experience with the Dinan S3 tune.
I had heard of others using non-Dinan Intercooler & oil cooler w the S3 SW upgrade. I don't know this from first hand but just what I remember hearing.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #76
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

So I was looking at the receipts and shows him paying $2250 for the S3 back in 2015. Was the S3 more expensive a few years ago? I saw it on Dinans website for $860. Is there any way I can check to physically see whats installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #77
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I was looking at the receipts and shows him paying $2250 for the S3 back in 2015. Was the S3 more expensive a few years ago? I saw it on Dinans website for $860. Is there any way I can check to physically see whats installed?
What does it say on the receipts? Does it give you any part numbers? You can check the P/Ns on Dinan's website. Also, you can call Dinan and give them your VIN and they can tell you what software was installed on the car.
      05-16-2018, 11:16 PM   #78
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

There is no part number listed on the receipt just shows Dinan stage 3. the actual credit card receipt for the payment is still there too so I'm assuming he did pay for something. Do the Indy shops have to register each S3 they sell with Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #79
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no part number listed on the receipt just shows Dinan stage 3. the actual credit card receipt for the payment is still there too so I'm assuming he did pay for something. Do the Indy shops have to register each S3 they sell with Dinan?
When the software is installed it registers with Dinan. Also, Dinan software prices for the 135i have dropped over the years.
      05-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #80
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Yeah, the price sounds about right if you account for installation labor.
I know Stage 2 (just software) was selling for $2000 for a long time. Add an hour and a half of $150/hr labor, and voila!

Some would say stick with Dinan parts for resale value, but if you consieder that the Dinan IC costs almost twice what a comparable/better Wagner or AA costs and same with an AA oil cooler vs Dinan, you have to question if you would retain more than that difference in resale.

If I go Dinan S3, I plan Wagner FMIC and AA Oil Cooler.

Also, you can flash back to stock and later back to S3, since the S3 is permanently associated with the VIN. All you will have to pay for is the labor to flash it. I've been quoted $100 per flash at a local BMW-specialized Indy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #81
KRAMCLASSIC
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the price sounds about right if you account for installation labor.
I know Stage 2 (just software) was selling for $2000 for a long time. Add an hour and a half of $150/hr labor, and voila!

Some would say stick with Dinan parts for resale value, but if you consieder that the Dinan IC costs almost twice what a comparable/better Wagner or AA costs and same with an AA oil cooler vs Dinan, you have to question if you would retain more than that difference in resale.

If I go Dinan S3, I plan Wagner FMIC and AA Oil Cooler.

Also, you can flash back to stock and later back to S3, since the S3 is permanently associated with the VIN. All you will have to pay for is the labor to flash it. I've been quoted $100 per flash at a local BMW-specialized Indy.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. So I'll confirm with Dinan first to see exactly what I have, and I'm hoping the Seller wasn't lying but the car definitely is faster than the stock 09 I used to have. Once I know then I can decide if I wanna stick with Dinan or go a different route. I was reading about the MHD flasher on another post and that seems to be a great option as well since I already want to have the option to run E85 in the future.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #82
Sancs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012

Hello! I will update my situation
I finally got mi Dinan S3 on 13/04/18

I definitely did not feel the +60hp that Dinan say

In the zone between 6k and 7k the car has absolutely no power, zero push.

I compare the before and after running against a friend car and the result where very similar.

Im really disappointed. I Will wait some time and then go to a Dyno or take the car back to the dealer so he can check it and see if it is anything wrong.
      05-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #83
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancs View Post
Hello! I will update my situation
I finally got mi Dinan S3 on 13/04/18

I definitely did not feel the +60hp that Dinan say

In the zone between 6k and 7k the car has absolutely no power, zero push.

I compare the before and after running against a friend car and the result where very similar.

Im really disappointed. I Will wait some time and then go to a Dyno or take the car back to the dealer so he can check it and see if it is anything wrong.
So are you saying you don't feel any difference? If that's the case, I'd say something didn't go right. Did you get the necessary hardware upgrades? Definitely go back to the dealer and have them check.
      05-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #84
Sancs
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have the Dinan oil cooler and Wagner EVO 2 Competition Intercooler, OEM exhaust
      05-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #85
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the Dinan oil cooler and Wagner EVO 2 Competition Intercooler, OEM exhaust
Yeah, you should feel a difference. I know I did and mine is stage 2.
      05-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #86
Sancs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you should feel a difference. I know I did and mine is stage 2.
Do you feel that the car have power until 7k rpm? Mine when it reach 6k start loosing power, i have to shift early
      05-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #87
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you feel that the car have power until 7k rpm? Mine when it reach 6k start loosing power, i have to shift early
Different tune, plus I don't go much past 6000 rpm.
      05-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #88
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Different tune, plus I don't go much past 6000 rpm.
-N/A Supremacy Propaganda Alert-

N/A pulls all the way!

Sancs The stock turbo(s) just doesn't have enough in it to boost all the way to redline like a big single can, according to what I've read across the forums.