BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #45
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post

The 128i NA6 might be the last pure BMW we'll ever see in America.
Plus you get those nifty fog lights.
      08-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #46
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Quote:
Exactly.

I consider myself a BMW purist: all I need is a normally aspirated six, rear wheel drive, two doors, sport seats, and a sports-tuned suspension and brakes... The rest is fluff. I'll probably never use the cruise control, auto headlights, auto wipers, etc... Those are just me-too gadgets that don't really contribute to the driving experience, IMO.

The 128i NA6 might be the last pure BMW we'll ever see in America.
This makes me very sad but is also spot on. I'm seriously considering a 128i purchase early next year and would option it out almost exactly as the article suggests with the exception of the Xenon headlamps.

Truthfully I'm also not completely sold on the Sport Package as I've driven a non Sport package 128i that felt great and read more than one opinion that said the Sport Package ride quality was pretty bad. I need to go check one out myself soon and see which I like better. It would certainly save me money but I really do like the looks of the Sport Package car better.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #47
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmanx1 View Post
...Truthfully I'm also not completely sold on the Sport Package as I've driven a non Sport package 128i that felt great and read more than one opinion that said the Sport Package ride quality was pretty bad. I need to go check one out myself soon and see which I like better. It would certainly save me money but I really do like the looks of the Sport Package car better.
Definitely don't make a decision without trying both. I've got M-Sport in my 135i and the ride is just fine. M-Sport also comes with those great bolstered sport seats. They are fantastic. The M-Sport steering wheel is a nice upgrade too. Whether 128i or 135i, I think the M-Sport package is a must. Everything else is discretionary based on one's priorities.
      08-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #48
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Ride sucks because of RFTs. Suspension is too soft without sport to compensate for the awful RFT ride quality. Get the sport and get rid of the RFTs- I endured mine for the first 20k- it wasn't easy, I stuck to mostly back roads where at least I got some reward for the harshness. Ride is just fine firm but not too harsh with non-RFT max performance tires.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #49
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
Plus you get those nifty fog lights.
Heh... Yeah, I like 'em.

Quote:
This makes me very sad but is also spot on. I'm seriously considering a 128i purchase early next year and would option it out almost exactly as the article suggests with the exception of the Xenon headlamps.

Truthfully I'm also not completely sold on the Sport Package as I've driven a non Sport package 128i that felt great and read more than one opinion that said the Sport Package ride quality was pretty bad. I need to go check one out myself soon and see which I like better. It would certainly save me money but I really do like the looks of the Sport Package car better.
I've got the Sport Package (my only option) and I don't find the ride quality all that bad, even with the much-despised RFTs...

I guess I'll find out if the ride (supposedly) improves with the next set of tires.
      08-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #50
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Great article, thanks for posting. I have really enjoyed my 128i over the last couple years, it is a wonderful car!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #51
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Sixty year old fart here and find my sport suspension, even with RFs rides just fine. Course I traded in a Mini Cooper S in on it and that thing would jar the fillings out of your teeth on rough roads. In comparison, my 128 SS rides just fine.
      08-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #52
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have the 128i Msport and added a few goodies to it over time. Coming from Z3s, and E30/36 BMWs, I was looking for a small sporty sedan that still looked like an older BMW with a focus on handling. I also wanted a convertible that could seat four people for those cruising rides on nice days. The 128i has proved to be great fun, and is a safe and reliable car as well. I did end up installing KW coilovers, because I wanted to control the ride height and also get a little firmer and smoother ride. Coilovers are great and really make the car handle well. I went with BMW Performance bits for the rest, a short shift kit (which works great!) cold air intake and exhaust. These three items add a level of sportiness not available in the stock car. If I had to recommend one mod, I would say the exhaust. I always brings a smile to my face as the engine winds up.

In all, the 128i has been great for me, and I plan on keeping mine for a while. I never fail to get a compliment on the Le Mans Blue Paint, which looks gorgeous. For fall, the 128i will get a new little sister in the garage, in the form of a 2013 silver and red Porsche Boxster. It is going to be interesting to see how they compare from a handling standpoint!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
I have the 128i Msport and added a few goodies to it over time. Coming from Z3s, and E30/36 BMWs, I was looking for a small sporty sedan that still looked like an older BMW with a focus on handling. I also wanted a convertible that could seat four people for those cruising rides on nice days. The 128i has proved to be great fun, and is a safe and reliable car as well. I did end up installing KW coilovers, becsusemI wanted to control the ride height and also get a little firmer and smoother ride. Coilovers are great and really make the car handle well. I went with BMW Performance bits for the rest, a short shift kit (which works great!) cold air intake and exhaust. These three items add a level of sportiness not available in the stock car. If I had to recommend one mod, I would say the exhaust. I always brings a smile to my face as the engine winds up.

In all, the 128i has been great for me, and I plan on keeping mine for a while. I never fail to get a compliment on the Le Mans Blue Paint, which looks gorgeous. For fall, the 128i will get a new little sister in the garage, in the form of a 2013 silver and red Porsche Boxster. It is going to be interesting to see how they compare from a handling standpoint!
Having just driven an 09 Boxster at the dealership this last week I can safely say that the handling and road feel is pretty out of this world. Sounds even better than the 1 series too although it ought to considering the price difference.

Interesting that you brought the Boxster up because my choice at this point is really down to: keep my daily driver econo box Lancer and buy a Boxster for fun OR trade in the Lancer and order a new 128i to be my one and only car.

I've been in love with the idea of owning a roadster since college and now that I have the means to do it I am seriously considering it. I don't want to derail this thread though as this is an altogether different topic. Suffice it to say that I intend to get as much seat time in both cars over the next couple of months as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #54
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

I have the non sport suspension and 135i rims/tires(264s) and the ride is actually really plush. I am swapping to coil overs or at least performance suspension eventually because theres a little more body roll then I'd like.
      08-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #55
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Sixty year old fart here and find my sport suspension, even with RFs rides just fine. Course I traded in a Mini Cooper S in on it and that thing would jar the fillings out of your teeth on rough roads. In comparison, my 128 SS rides just fine.
Right on.

The E36 that I drove for the past 18 years rode about the same, but the 128i handles so much better.
      08-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
I'd be one of those people: the turbo is more trouble than it's worth, in more ways than one... And I'm glad I got the NA6 before the turbo four got phased in.
What he said. I don't want a car that screams at me. I like the 6!!!
      08-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #57
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Been reading and got to jump in. Am glad now I did get the 128iMSport, and love it. I did get the ATrans due to my wife needing to use it occasionally, and I have a Z4si for other things. The ATrans in manual mode is really a stitch to drive--and the Msport suspension, wheel combo just "works". Its got all the power I need here, takes the Missouri twisties just great and not some of the other related 135 issues at the time, mind you. The 135 is super--but two years ago it was not price--but the issues most were having with them. Drove a 135 loaner this past week for some hours, and came back and was actually glad to get back into my 128Msport--I thot it odd actually. No sour grapes--it was torquey but the 128 felt right at home. This one truely is one of the most chuckable little cars I have driven. Would do this car and its options again in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #58
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Having just driven an 09 Boxster at the dealership this last week I can safely say that the handling and road feel is pretty out of this world. Sounds even better than the 1 series too although it ought to considering the price difference.

Interesting that you brought the Boxster up because my choice at this point is really down to: keep my daily driver econo box Lancer and buy a Boxster for fun OR trade in the Lancer and order a new 128i to be my one and only car.

I've been in love with the idea of owning a roadster since college and now that I have the means to do it I am seriously considering it. I don't want to derail this thread though as this is an altogether different topic. Suffice it to say that I intend to get as much seat time in both cars over the next couple of months as possible.
I would have to say, the new Boxster can totally be a daily driver, and it has about the same totally trunk space as the 128i convertible with the top up (a little less than nine cubic liters).

I have had some sort of roadster and a sedan since 1996, and being able to choose between them is a nice option on a daily basis. But, life is short, and if you can go for the Porsche I would do it. My 128i was a compromise because I didn't trust the 135i engine, and honestly all I could find to test in the DC area were 135i automatics, and the 128i in a manual was way more fun! (same with the Boxster, PDK works very well, but it is nothing like having a manual. In fact if someone were to give me a Boxster for free, I would take the base Boxster with a manual over a Boxster S with PDK)

All that said, keep in mind that BMW is releasing the new 135is coupe and convertible... Just to add to the mix!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #59
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I'm still mulling it over and fortunately have plenty of time to do so and hopefully get in several more test drives of both cars before I make my decision.

I found the issue of Bimmer magazine at Barnes and Noble yesterday and read the article and it was interesting and informative. Now if I could just find a manual 128i out in the wild somewhere to test drive. They seem to be incredibly rare.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #60
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now if I could just find a manual 128i out in the wild somewhere to test drive. They seem to be incredibly rare.
They are: I couldn't find a 128i with a manual tranny, so I was stuck test driving an auto... I ordered the car with the manual sight unseen, but I knew it was a Getrag and my previous BMWs had manuals, so it wasn't much of a risk.
      08-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #61
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

All RFTs aren't created equal...I found my Pzeros to handle awesomely but on roads around here the car would literally go airborne over many surfaces inducing traction light to go bonkers (reminding me to turn it off) It is however all relative to what you're used to. Switching out of those runflats to a dunlop sport maxx tts I gave up 10% turn in immediacy but gained 70% in ride quality.
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #62
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I'd be one of those people: the turbo is more trouble than it's worth, in more ways than one... And I'm glad I got the NA6 before the turbo four got phased in.
This was one of the reason I went with an E93 instead of the new 3er F30, don't likne the new electric steering either plus the sport seats is not same as current one on E8X & E9X series.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #63
matmanx1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are: I couldn't find a 128i with a manual tranny, so I was stuck test driving an auto... I ordered the car with the manual sight unseen, but I knew it was a Getrag and my previous BMWs had manuals, so it wasn't much of a risk.
Exactly my situation. I test drove the auto just to get a feel for the car and loved everything but the transmission. I really don't understand why BMW doesn't build more of the seemingly excellent manual versions. Do manual cars really sell that poorly these days?

From bmw1racer (and others) comments I really don't have any worries about ordering the 6 speed sight unseen as I've not heard a single bad thing about it. But it would still be nice to actually see one in the wild!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #64
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly my situation. I test drove the auto just to get a feel for the car and loved everything but the transmission. I really don't understand why BMW doesn't build more of the seemingly excellent manual versions. Do manual cars really sell that poorly these days?
Dealers sell a lot fewer manuals than they used to so tend not to stock them anymore. Exceptions are cars that either come only with a stick or are very popular equipped with sticks, e.g. 1M and M3. Like many others, I had to test drive a DCT version of the 135i to see if I liked the car and then ordered one with a 6MT.

Quote:
From bmw1racer (and others) comments I really don't have any worries about ordering the 6 speed sight unseen as I've not heard a single bad thing about it. But it would still be nice to actually see one in the wild!
I was actually a little disappointed in the notchiness of the 6MT when I first got it. That diminishes after the tranny is fully warmed up and I'm getting used to driving it now so it's not as much as issue for me anymore. It could have shorter throws too IMHO, but not that big a deal.
      08-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #65
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do manual cars really sell that poorly these days?
Apparently so.

Though I'm not surprised here in SoCal with all the lousy traffic and all... But my work commute is a mere six miles and it's all on city streets, so it's manual all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
I was actually a little disappointed in the notchiness of the 6MT when I first got it. That diminishes after the tranny is fully warmed up and I'm getting used to driving it now so it's not as much as issue for me anymore.
Yeah, same here... And the armrest sorta gets in the way as well... I might just punt it.
      08-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #66
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
With the arm rest I have a similar experience ...but for long drives it's worth keeping.