Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
If you are buying a new 991 you are going to loose more driving it off the lot,then you will loose on the 1m over 4 years.
If you buy the 911, I'd buy it used. You get a lot of those rich bankers that go out and buy a brand new one, drive it for a few thousand miles, then they get bored and sell it. I see these on autotrader,ebay,etc. all the time and they've all taken huge depreciation hits.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #46
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541

Why not just buy both. Porsche and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #47
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

wow, very nice!!! was just over Hawaii past summer, didn't see anything out there except couple of lambo and prancing horse. There was a few M3 all black out E9x.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #48
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I'm too young to really remember the 80s... but that's neither he here nor there.

I've owned two N54s an N55 an S65 and frequently HPDE with my father-in-law in his 981 S. IMHO, the N5x engines aren't that useful on a track (the brilliance of the 1M's chassis- over a standard 1-er notwithstanding).

Turbo lag that's nearly imperceptible on the street becomes much more apparent when you're on/off throttle quickly or attempting to make small adjustments mid corner. Moreover, a difficult to modulate wall of torque isn't ideal (on most tracks) in a chassis prone to snap oversteer. Pretensioning in the S55 helps this- so I've heard- but at great expense/complexity. At the moment, turbo charging, for a track car, is (to me) too much of a compromise.

If you haven't driven an NA car with a linear power band (peak power at/near redline) on a track, you should. It's a totally different experience. All the complaints about a lack of torque- often from those who have driven an S65 (or similar) on the street- melt away when you can keep that engine (or similar) in the ballistic zone above 7K RPM.

Around town/on the highway, I'd take the N5x. On a track, or if I could only have one car (having driven both) its a NA. But that's just my opinion.

He is right on, my experience with both is exactly as what Surf describes. I own the 911 almost a year, so with over 8k miles already and alternating them weekly, I can really see the difference...good and bad. So just as Surf describe it, the major diff is the little lag that you will notice when you step out of a NA engine and into the 1M. The 911 is really fun to drive, very fun indeed. You just got to get past that high end luxury price thing and drive it like you stole it.
If you are like those old rich guys who gets it and baby it because they worried about scratches and nicks and all kinds of crap that they thought of out of their assess, you just could not enjoy it. I drive the Porsche like I drive the 1M, they both get equal opportunity
Appreciate 0