04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

LUX vs OEM

Good evening guys!

So I see all these threads with people buying the LUX 5k for their 1M and I was wondering something. If we look at the current 3 series, the Halos are kind of blue-ish/white. When people buy the LUX, are you guys seeking for the new OEM look or just white?

Unless I am wrong, these 5K don't have the same color that the new 3 series have, or even the past LCI 335is. OEM seems more blue.

Also, isn't that E9X OEM Piece working on the 1M so you could get the "true" new look?!

Thanks and sorry if dumb question :P!
      04-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Of all 1ers the ActiveE was the first to feature the LCI LED stripe (aka "LED eyebrow") (LCI = "Life Cycle Impulse" aka facelift).

Adding the LED eyebrow was one of the last 1M development decisions. Check sneak peek pictures of the pre-production 1M: the LED eyebrow (from the ActiveE) was not fitted yet. And BMW probably had run out of time to adapt the coronas to the LED eyebrow color. See for example this August 2010 picture: no LED eyebrow yet:

Name:  1M_Aug_2010.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  94.8 KB

Hence, the reason why 1M owners prefer the "LUX H8 V3 Custom 5000k Color": matching the coronas with the LED 'eyebrow' as close as practically possible.

Here you see why:

Name:  LUXAngelEyes_5000k.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  91.6 KB
Name:  LUXAngelEyes_5000k_Dark.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  46.0 KB

If you leave the lights stock, the yellow coronas seem to be out of sync with the LED eyebrow (as if you added the eyebrow as a mod). 6500K has a discreet blue-ish nuance. 5000K offers the closest match.

Check for example this thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657670
      04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

If you leave the lights stock, the yellow coronas seem to be out of sync with the LED eyebrow (as if you added the eyebrow as a mod). 6500K has a discreet blue-ish nuance. 5000K offers the closest match.
I know that not many think like me on this one but this is one of the main reasons why I decided to leave my headlights stock. Eyes and eyebrows are not meant to be the exact same color so the same can go for the car headlights; I kind of like that contrast even if that was not an intended result by BMW because it makes the eyebrow effect more obvious in the stock car. Also, none of the aftermarket products seem to be completely problem free or real easy fit. The stocks are probably most durable ones and for sure most visible, therefore safer ones under day light driving.

Yellowish stock effect seem to be less irritating with VO cars too; at least for me, BSM is the color which is most misfit with stock lights.

Having said all these, if I would change them I would go for 5000K as well, better than bluish 6500K.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Oooo I see now. The "eyebrows" themselves are stock in "white", but the halos "yellow-ish"?!

Isn't possible to make the whole thing like this (eyebrow + halo) (3 Series on the right)