BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
BLK325
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I struggled with the same issue and ended up with a 128 MT with sport and premium. Our packages are different in Canada so it doesn't equate to what you have but it is close, Xenon's, sport seats and suspension, 18" wheels (Canadian specific), cold weather, bluetooth, etc. There is not a huge difference in price between my car and a 135 with M Sport but we felt the 128 was more than enough of everything we wanted. Plus it is SGM. We have owned lots of sports cars over the years, our favorite being the MZ3, but we never hated any of them. Yes some were faster, some handled better, some looked better but we enjoyed every one. Buy what you like after you drive both. Put some time between driving the 135 and the 128 or else the power will corrupt you. For what it is worth, get the 128 the way you want it and go the the BMW performance driving school. That way you can get the most out of it. Best performance mod for the money.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #24
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Went to another dealer tonight, and they had an MT 135i... perfect. Drove it around, and really got on it after a little while - my test drive at this dealer was much more real... Got to feel the negatives of the suspension/tires on bad roads, etc.

Hit it hard in second gear, on the highway and WOW! Didnt even go WOT or over 5000 RPM, and it was enough. I took it out of gear and just coasted back to normal speed.

The MT was great, as good if not better than that in my E30, shorter throws of course... Brakes were great when put to the test. THis one only had the sport package, not the m sport package, and I know that I want the M sport... However, at the same time, I have to wonder if I really would prefer a 128i...

The AT 128i vert we tested last time felt sluggish... but as an MT, I wonder if it would be just right. THe 135 can obviously be nduced to be way too fast, but is great as a cruiser too... but I dont know how often Ill use the turbos. Couple with that HPFP issues, and I see risk, vs. a non-issue on a 128i.

Problem is, a 128, even with a sport package and whatnot just isnt the same as a 135i with M-sport... and especially if I put in xenons and whatnot on a 128, the cost will be more or less the same.

Cant wait for the meet this weekend... hopefully somebody will have a 128i MT that they might let me just test drive for a short distance

Super-tough to make these decisions... after driving this 135i coupe, we are even weighing that part again... ugh. All we know is that every time we drive the car, we know we want one more!
Test drive a 128i coupe with sport package before you write it off. I test drove a non-sport 128i coupe and thought....meh. I test-drove a 128i coupe with sport and thought to myself: holy hell, if this is a 128i, what must the 135i be like?

My personal opinion is that convertibles are always a lot more fun to look at than to actually drive day-to-day.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #25
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Get the 135. And stop 'taking it out of gear' when coasting, just upshift.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #26
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

lol... I would have, but I would be doing 100 in a 40 in notime flat! That power really comes on when you want it to!
Appreciate 0