BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Outstanding track photo

Terrific photo of my 1M from this past weekend at VIR by Kevin "FlimFlam" Adolf.

Neil

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

A picture's worth a thousand words!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Sorry I'm so inept posting pictures.

For larger and sharper version, go to:

https://www.facebook.com/FlimFlamMed...type=1&theater

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Looks superb...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

I'll help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Baby M in its natural habitat

My humble contribution, taken a few weeks back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Pictures, even ones that good, don't tell us whole story, do they?

Tell us what was passing on the track with your new set up as well!

I know people here would like to know because I had a hint of it thanks to your facebook post.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

OK, here's a slightly revised version of my FB posting, including a comments from VIR expert Peter Krause:

Back from a terrific 3 days at the "new" VIR -- open track on Friday and instructing Sat-Sun with NASA Mid-Atlantic. Loads of fun and a very well run program.

Couple early observations:

1) The track is significantly faster. Most folks (myself included -- down to a 2:08.9) knocked off 2+ seconds from their previous bests. I was running on some heat-cycled out BFG R1 tires that felt lousy the previous weekend at Summit Point, but felt great at VIR.

2) Loads of grip and it's consistent throughout. Though there were some slick spots in the wet, there was very little puddling or water running over the track as there used to be.

3) Extra width, at parts, is deceiving.

In certain turns, you use all of the new track -- and, for me, it was fastest to go over and outside the curbing at T3 and Oak Tree. Due to the extra width, the turn-in for T3 is earlier and the turn is much faster -- so much so that you have to be careful not to go in too hot for T4 and push wide. Also, if you're willing to run over the curbing after T3, there's no reason to turn-in from the right edge of the track.

Elsewhere the extra track is not as apparent, but you're carrying more speed through the turns as you're running a broader radius and there's more grip. There's also a patch of new pavement that can be used at the end of the curbing outside South Bend. Yep, the hole is gone.

4) The old curbing is now even more benign as the new pavement has raised the level of the track. Running over the curbing in the uphill esses is now a very smooth experience.

Loved it and the extra width makes for more exciting racing as you can pass at places that were previously perilous. On the other hand, the track *may* be slightly less demanding and a bit more forgiving.

OK, now back to work...

Peter Krause Good assessment. Still don't believe optimum track out includes pavement beyond the exit curb in T3 and T12, but in big old, softly sprung boats, machts nichts! I think you DO need to be track right at entry for T3, or you WILL track out over the exit curbing, whether you like it or not! Hahaha! All the reference information I have reviewed substantiates an average of 2-2.5 seconds improvement, as you have found, depending on the lap time. A little less for those under 2 minute , a little more for the 2:10-2:20 crowd! Thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

looking fast guys!