03-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
How low would you consider the revs to be low enough? Lugging the engine below 2K at higher gear isn't good, but in order to stay around 2K after a shift you practically have to get up to about 3K rpm. Also for those of us not equipped with a boost gauge, what guide line works?

I wasn't sure there was actually a thermostat for the oil cooler but it generally takes a good 14-15 minutes to get the oil temp above 80C, and to drive that long I pretty much have to be around 40-60Kmh or else I get booted off the road
I'd say under 3-3.5k RPM and less than half throttle are pretty good guidelines while your car is still warming up
      03-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #24
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
I'd say under 3-3.5k RPM and less than half throttle are pretty good guidelines while your car is still warming up
Agree. I usually keep it between 2000 and 3ish until the oil temp is above 100C.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #25
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

I shift around 3-3.5k RPM until warm. Lugging the motor is not good either. With regards to boost...you should be able to hear it. A few PSI is fine, you just don't want to impose high loads (big throttle inputs at low RPM) for an extended time. It's not rocket science, just be reasonably conservative.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #26
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
It's *not* a good practice to warm the car by letting it idle for an extended time. In fact, I can't think of a single compelling reason to do so. Keep the revs down and stay out of boost and you'll be just fine.
How low would you consider the revs to be low enough? Lugging the engine below 2K at higher gear isn't good, but in order to stay around 2K after a shift you practically have to get up to about 3K rpm. Also for those of us not equipped with a boost gauge, what guide line works?

I wasn't sure there was actually a thermostat for the oil cooler but it generally takes a good 14-15 minutes to get the oil temp above 80C, and to drive that long I pretty much have to be around 40-60Kmh or else I get booted off the road
On the M3, there's a moving redline that moves higher and higher until the temps are up. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that it starts at 3.5-4k.

I don't ever go past ~3.5k until the temp gauge (135i cluster swap) begins to move at around 160F, then I let myself get up to 4.5-5k until temps hit around 190F, at which point the whole motor gets used . Nice thing is that you can lug an NA motor moreso than the turbo motors because air is simply pulled into the combustion chamber versus being crammed in there, but I try to avoid that as much as possible...