BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Driving with a chattering flywheel

Clutch out and car in neutral ... chatter chatter chatter... clutch in... silence.

Upon take off (launch at 1100 rpm), stutter stutter stutter (moderate vibrations felt in car).

reasonably normal car behaviour while in motion.

Taking off with a higher rpm (1500-1700rpm) generally smooths out the stutter at take off.

What are the implications of driving with a chattering flywheel and early slipping clutch?

Will the clutch disk wear out quicker?

Is there any else that will take abuse or will be damaged if the flywheel goes unfixed?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

... really nobody?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
abb6027
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M

Raptor I’m pretty sure this is normal for the car. I had it on my 130i as it had done 80000 klms. The 1M is starting to do it but only 55000 klms. The dealer said it was a getrag gearbox noise from memory.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
Ewok
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
Hmm, I don’t have this issue. Are you on stock flywheel / clutch ?
As part of the drivetrain , I wouldn’t be taking any chances with a failing flywheel .. best to get it checked !
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Hmm, I don’t have this issue. Are you on stock flywheel / clutch ?
As part of the drivetrain , I wouldn’t be taking any chances with a failing flywheel .. best to get it checked !
I am currently on an all-stock set up (no tunes or aftermarket mods).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abb6027 View Post
Raptor I’m pretty sure this is normal for the car. I had it on my 130i as it had done 80000 klms. The 1M is starting to do it but only 55000 klms. The dealer said it was a getrag gearbox noise from memory.
Mine is currently at 55k as well and the symptom has just started, like you the dealer will have to check up on this in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I have this issue as well. Same symptoms. I was going to do the CDV delete to see if it helps. Car has 40k km and I'm pretty easy on the clutch.
      02-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
I have this issue as well. Same symptoms. I was going to do the CDV delete to see if it helps. Car has 40k km and I'm pretty easy on the clutch.
I really believe the flywheel has been undersized for this car...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Undersized as in diameter or weight? It's apparently lighter than other N54s and unique to the 1M. An early(8 bolt) N54 DMFW might be what you're after?

I can hear a distinct difference with clutch in/out and I'm at 42k km. It isn't loud to bother me nor prompt me to diagnose...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Undersized as in diameter or weight? It's apparently lighter than other N54s and unique to the 1M. An early(8 bolt) N54 DMFW might be what you're after?

I can hear a distinct difference with clutch in/out and I'm at 42k km. It isn't loud to bother me nor prompt me to diagnose...
Undersized in its max torque specification category, for example the flywheel may be running over 90% its design and is failing because of at-the-limit tolerance.

I would have liked to see something last longer or perhaps designed and installed at 75% leaving a 26% tolerance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

How many people with these issues still have the CDV installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I do not think the CDV has any effect on your problem. I did the CDV delete on my 2011 135i a few years ago. My car never made any bad noises before. The CDV delete was simply an effort to smooth out low gear shifts.

Now, for the last year or so, I notice a soft "ticketa-ticketa-ticketa-ticketa" sound with the clutch engaged in neutral. When I depress the clutch, the sound disappears whether in gear or not. I am inclined to hold the clutch in at stops to quiet this sound, though I realize I may be shortening the life of the clutch throwout bearing.

Also, my clutch occasionally stutters on take off at normal driving speeds. This does not happen at every start and is relatively innocuous though noticeable.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Clutch out and car in neutral ... chatter chatter chatter... clutch in... silence.

Upon take off (launch at 1100 rpm), stutter stutter stutter (moderate vibrations felt in car).

Taking off with a higher rpm (1500-1700rpm) generally smooths out the stutter at take off.

What are the implications of driving with a chattering flywheel and early slipping clutch?

Is there any else that will take abuse or will be damaged if the flywheel goes unfixed?

This is NORMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I do not think the CDV has any effect on your problem. I did the CDV delete on my 2011 135i a few years ago. My car never made any bad noises before. The CDV delete was simply an effort to smooth out low gear shifts.

Now, for the last year or so, I notice a soft "ticketa-ticketa-ticketa-ticketa" sound with the clutch engaged in neutral. When I depress the clutch, the sound disappears whether in gear or not. I am inclined to hold the clutch in at stops to quiet this sound, though I realize I may be shortening the life of the clutch throwout bearing.

Also, my clutch occasionally stutters on take off at normal driving speeds. This does not happen at every start and is relatively innocuous though noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
This is NORMAL
What causes the 'ticketa-ticketa' sound? The flywheel? Does the sound indicate an upcoming repair or some maintenance that I have missed?

Thanks... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #15
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post

This is NORMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post

Your car is shuttering under acceleration is absolutely not normal. Thanks for your contribution
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
My $.10 into this:

Dual-Mass Flywheels are made of two parts, carefully engineered to reduce harshness and vibrations from the drivetrain. The springs and various mechanicals wear-out over time leading to a clunking sound when shifting and starting-off.

Single-Mass Flywheels are made of only one solid part, and the only maintenance needed is a rare resurfacing when you replace the clutch. A SMFW should permanently fix all DMFW-related issues...

If the DMFW is bad enough, you could definitely feel this slop when driving which would cause something like the stuttering that you experience.

The ticka-tacka sound (for me) was the direct result of installing stiffer transmission mounts, which have a lesser damping effect for vibrations than stock. If I remember correctly, it's the result of some built-in play in the driveline being exaggerated as a result of the increased vibrations.