BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I certainly am interested in some of these features!

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around one though. So BMW built the 1M with a motor for the mirrors to fold but they chose to not make them fold automatically? This seems very dumb by BMW...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Are there any coders in alberta?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #25
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

When you have it coded, does it need to be re-done every time my dealer upgrades the car's software?
      03-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
One-touch, as in you don't have to hold the button to get the windows to open or close?
Yes, one-touch as you can close or open all your windows by depressing longer (I think 2 secs) the close/open button on the remote (or for CA cars holding your finger on the door lock longer and it will pull up all windows).

Quote:
Jim, the coding sounds more intimidating than it is. Once you understand what you're doing, it's a fairly easy process. I'm extremely familiar with the coding of VWs and Audis and so I'm sure that helped my understanding, but the DIY video that's posted in the coding thread over at e90post is very helpful for beginners. Can you screw up the car? Sure, but the easy way to avoid that is to avoid trying to be a pioneer; i.e., only make coding changes that others have tried first.
I was watching the coder, and it was involved. Looks a lot more simple from the side than it really is for one to do it without the proper training, or having it done before, or having someone knowledgeable give you directions while you are doing it. Think of it like window tinting, looks fairly simple from the sidelines but a tough job to execute at your first solo attempt.

I am very familiar with the coding for Audis/VWs, however if you are referring to RossTech's VagCom product, this is anything but that. I did a lot of these items that I now have on the BMW on my Audi, but the software there and GUI is very intuitive and user friendly. It was not this intuitive with the BMW software, not at all actually.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #27
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
When you have it coded, does it need to be re-done every time my dealer upgrades the car's software?
The answer is: depends. It really depends what the dealer has uploaded. The coder himself had gone for the HPFP recall and fuel injector replacement/TSB, got the new software from the dealer, and all his features were still left untouched.

The changes 'reside' in different modules, i.e. the coding sticks to specific modules (kombi, NFRM, CAS). When you get software updates from the dealer a lot of the modules are not impacted.

What also makes this coder so great is that he offers you free re-recoding if his work was wiped out as a result of a dealer software update.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #28
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The non-intuitive software is what I am concerned about. Occasionally I have to go into SAP at work. The people here who go into it daily think it is OK. But I only go in every few months and I dread it. If I have step by step instructions I can get it done. If I don't I usually won't try, I will get somebody else to do it.

I peeked and poked a hard-drive on the first home computer we bought years ago but I had detailed instructions. I don't mind roaming around a microsoft product to figure it out. But with software with a poor user interface, I have determined I would rather not.

Jim
      03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #29
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

Ok I want all of those except #11. A detailed how-to guide would make you a legend in my eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
Ok I want all of those except #11. A detailed how-to guide would make you a legend in my eyes.
http://www.**************/showthread...ing-Experience

Hmmm, I guess the b-m-w-c-o-d-i-n-g .com site isn't welcome round here for some reason?
      03-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I certainly am interested in some of these features!

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around one though. So BMW built the 1M with a motor for the mirrors to fold but they chose to not make them fold automatically? This seems very dumb by BMW...
so.. you complain that they don't fold automatically..

the guy next to you complains that if they had the mirrors set to fold automatically all the time then it would "wear the motor out faster"

what's the manufacturer to do ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

the guy next to you complains that if they had the mirrors set to fold automatically all the time then it would "wear the motor out faster"

Actually, the manufacturer figured it out perfectly. I explained in my OP how it worked, but here is a rehash:

1. If you depress lock key quickly (one touch), car locks + mirrors stay open
2. If you depress lock key continually for 2 secs (or finger on door handle for those with CA), car locks + mirrors retract

So it accommodates people from all camps! When you park at home and are not worried about the mirrors, quick lock does the trick. At the mall or in a tight space, hold the lock button/door pull, and vola, mirrors retract.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #33
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
any socal coders. Id love to get those items listed done.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #34
andrews
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
http://www.**************/showthread...ing-Experience

Hmmm, I guess the b-m-w-c-o-d-i-n-g .com site isn't welcome round here for some reason?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ing+Experience

That's the same version of the one I posted here. The link to the daten files is broken, and I am having a hard time finding a good replacement. Otherwise, it's up-to-date.
      03-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #35
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Not really complaining, I think its a cool feature but I wouldn't say I feel slighted by not having it. More surprised really that the motor is there at all considering from the factory they don't do any folding what so ever (other than manual). If the motor is there why do we have to hack into the computer to use it? Why couldn't they just give us the nice option stated above to make on our own?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #36
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
#6 is money! would love to have that one done
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #37
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Not really complaining, I think its a cool feature but I wouldn't say I feel slighted by not having it. More surprised really that the motor is there at all considering from the factory they don't do any folding what so ever (other than manual). If the motor is there why do we have to hack into the computer to use it? Why couldn't they just give us the nice option stated above to make on our own?
For US models, if you don't have the Premium package your mirrors do not have the motors/power folding capability. All the coding does is allow you to control the folding feature via the keyfob instead of using the button on the armrest.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #38
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
For US models, if you don't have the Premium package your mirrors do not have the motors/power folding capability. All the coding does is allow you to control the folding feature via the keyfob instead of using the button on the armrest.
My car does have the premium package. I guess I really haven't explored all the features of my car. When I was in the market I didn't really care what options a car had, just wanted to find one. Mine happens to be fully loaded (minus sat radio strangely).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #39
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
any socal coders. Id love to get those items listed done.
http://www.europeanautosource.com/

in Anaheim, did the coding on my 1M and installed the Berk Mid pipe, great job.

WB
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #40
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1
Quote:
One-touch, as in you don't have to hold the button to get the windows to open or close?
Yes, one-touch as you can close or open all your windows by depressing longer (I think 2 secs) the close/open button on the remote (or for CA cars holding your finger on the door lock longer and it will pull up all windows).

Quote:
Jim, the coding sounds more intimidating than it is. Once you understand what you're doing, it's a fairly easy process. I'm extremely familiar with the coding of VWs and Audis and so I'm sure that helped my understanding, but the DIY video that's posted in the coding thread over at e90post is very helpful for beginners. Can you screw up the car? Sure, but the easy way to avoid that is to avoid trying to be a pioneer; i.e., only make coding changes that others have tried first.
I was watching the coder, and it was involved. Looks a lot more simple from the side than it really is for one to do it without the proper training, or having it done before, or having someone knowledgeable give you directions while you are doing it. Think of it like window tinting, looks fairly simple from the sidelines but a tough job to execute at your first solo attempt.

I am very familiar with the coding for Audis/VWs, however if you are referring to RossTech's VagCom product, this is anything but that. I did a lot of these items that I now have on the BMW on my Audi, but the software there and GUI is very intuitive and user friendly. It was not this intuitive with the BMW software, not at all actually.
When you say one-touch I interpret that to mean you activate the opening or closing and then it will continue on its own. But, that is not the case from my experience. Perhaps you've discovered something that I'm not aware of?

VCDS (née VAG-COM) wasn't always the user-friendly experience it is now. I've been messing with that since practically the beginning. I agree that NCS Expert has a long way to go until its even remotely user-friendly in the vain of VCDS, but what you're actually doing with NCS is pretty much the same; i.e., reading a module, making changes, writing the values back to the module. VCDS makes it more user-friendly by providing nice check boxes and feature descriptions in English, but the premise of what you're doing is very similar. Of course, this is just my opinion!
      03-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #41
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When you say one-touch I interpret that to mean you activate the opening or closing and then it will continue on its own. But, that is not the case from my experience. Perhaps you've discovered something that I'm not aware of?
Yup, let me clarify. By one touch I meant a continual touch of 2 secs. If car is locked, a quick unlock only opens the doors, if you depress the Open button on the key fob for longer (continual 2 seconds), doors open and windows roll down. Ditto for when locking the car. If your windows are down and you are outside the car, a quick touch of the lock button only locks the doors, hold it longer and windows come up. I am pretty sure windows go up/down on their own after the 2 seconds and you do not have to hold the key depressed until they fully close, but I will double check today.

Quote:
VCDS (née VAG-COM) wasn't always the user-friendly experience it is now. I've been messing with that since practically the beginning. I agree that NCS Expert has a long way to go until its even remotely user-friendly in the vain of VCDS, but what you're actually doing with NCS is pretty much the same; i.e., reading a module, making changes, writing the values back to the module. VCDS makes it more user-friendly by providing nice check boxes and feature descriptions in English, but the premise of what you're doing is very similar. Of course, this is just my opinion!
I agree with you 100%, and hence my 'beef' about the BMW coding. VCDS and NCS do the same thing, the former is more intuitive, the latter rather cryptic (to me at least).

I find the VCDS very user friendly (relative to the BMW coding although I agree, it can warrant further improvement, but you get all you need from their customer service or posting for help on the boards). My experience with it goes back only to late 2007 when I got my Audi, so I do not have experience with its early iterations and take your word for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BTW, for those in the NYC area, this onebadmofo will do all of this for FREE:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...23&postcount=1
Appreciate 0