BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
steve457
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Use leatherique to condition interior

Has anyone used Leatherique on the 1M interior? I was planning on getting some to keep the interior in good condition, but am wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I also wanted to know whether there would be any issues with the orange stitching and whether it was safe to use on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I used Lexol cleaner and conditioner with no problems. Leatherique is similar, I'm guessing you'll be fine but as always do a small discrete sample area before doing the whole seat just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Leatherique is a great product, but I've had much more success with it on uncoated leathers like the nicer Napa leather from various other cars.

If you want your leather to stay nice, the most important thing is to keep it clean. So for leatherique, this mean using prestine clean a lot more than rejuvinator oil. Or use a slightly damp cloth and wipe down the leather to keep the dirt from clogging it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
What I found to be a great product for softening and 'restoring' leather is this product, called Soffener

http://store.carcareonline.com/searc...?find=soffener

I generally buy my products from there ^^^ if online, or Detailers Domain in person (but don't think Phil carries the Soffener). For our rather cheap/grainy/stiff Boston leather, it is a great product, makes it feel almost Nappa-like.

I applied it religiously on my E39 M5 leather dashboard which was hit hard by the sun and interior looked better than when new. It is a bit laborious as it is thick as honey, and best applied with a small brush (on the dashboard I even covered it with Saran wrap and let it 'soak' for a day or two).

I apply the Soffener after I have done the leather cleaner first though, you want to make sure the leather is fully prepped.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0