BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #67
Guardian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 135is#190/586 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGirl View Post
Wanted to post another sunroof explosion case...this happenned to me this morning while I was driving at highway speeds on the DVP! It sounded like a bullet and the glass shards and chunks came down on my hair and all around me..Luckily, I managed to change 3 lanes to exit and pull over to nearest road. Insurance is still determining if it's a mfg defect, where they will not cover. But BMW said that since my car is outside of warranty already, they may not cover it too...I'm still anxious to hear the decision, which they won't be able to confirm until 4 days later on Tuesday!
Glad you're ok, given the situation. Hopefully BMW or your insurance takes care of this for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #68
GadgetGirl
Rep
Drives: 128i Sedona Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Is that a 24-105mm coffee mug I see?
Why yes it is! Good eye! Funny that only people in this forum would noticed that!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #69
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

WOW.. Glad you are ok. I remember a post like this couple of years a go..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #70
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Why yes it is! Good eye! Funny that only people in this forum would noticed that!
I just purchased a 24-105mm so immediately noticed that. Where did you get the mug from? I want one!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #71
GadgetGirl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I just purchased a 24-105mm so immediately noticed that. Where did you get the mug from? I want one!
I got it on eBay from this seller..he has different types for sale right now, but not the expandable/zoom version I have:
http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searc...%3Aronaldnet88
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #72
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

F*****G BMW... now we also have to worry about the sunroof exploding!!!

Like there isn't enough crap that goes wrong already
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #73
GadgetGirl
Rep

I wanted to provide an update of my sunroof explosion after hearing BMW's decision today and also share research that I found in hopes to raise more awareness of these explosions resulting from manufacturing defects, as this will happen again if something is not done.

BMW informed me today that since my car's warranty expired already (which was only 4 months ago), they are not responsible and will not cover the costs. But from all the research I've done online, this points to a manufacturing defect, and has not only happened to BMW drivers, but drivers of other cars. So I've submitted my story to media channels in hopes to spread more public awareness, in hopes that car makers will issue redesigns, recalls, or safety warnings, as these types of explosions have been happening for years, and the next time it may potentially cause a death due to the violent result from the glass explosion. Here's the details of my explosion and the research explaining the cause of pressure or temperature differentials causing the glass to break, as opposed to a flying rock hitting the glass, which I also shared with BMW before they arrived at their decision:

After the explosion, my sunroof glass was pushing up/skywards not inwards after the incident, which the Police first noticed at the scene of the incident, and said probable cause for mfg defect instead of any rock hitting the glass that would cause that type of shatter. And from my research online, I found that there have been numerous sunroof explosion cases happening in Canada, and US:

1) I found this US TV news video clip which covers the same type of sunroof explosion that happened to me, and a UC Mech Engineering Prof explains that this type of explosion could not have scientifically happenned with a rock hitting the glass, and more likely the cause of a mfg defect:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=8026317

2) In this Hyundai forum, the cause of the sunroof explosion was explained-"What's causing the exploding is not rocks or foreign objects, but high pressure inside the cabin and low pressure above the glass caused by fast highway driving. This puts too much upward pressure on the glass when it's closed." -posted by "Smallaxe".
http://www.veloster.org/forum/37-hyu...-13-print.html

3)Here are other cases of exploding sunroofs that happened:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518312
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1291fc
http://www.wral.com/without-warning-...ces-/11728208/

Lucky that no one was sitting in my passenger seat because the larger chunks of glass fell there, and God forbid the next time this could happen again, it may cause serious injury or a death.

I will now need to go to my Insurance Co. to cover the repair costs, so this is not a cost issue for me, but out of principle, as BMW should acknowledge this defect and issue a new redesign or recall, otherwise this will happen again. I plan to write to Transport Canada as well.

So when I get my repaired car back, I plan to keep my sunroof visor closed when highway driving so the glass will be fully covered from my view, knowing that the same type of sunroof glass will be installed again.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #74
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

BMW informed me today that since my car's warranty expired already (which was only 4 months ago), they are not responsible and will not cover the costs.
Bummer.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #75
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

This is why I liked the old sunroofs (the metal ones) as opposed to the current moonroofs.

OP - Sorry to hear that BMW won't cover the cost to fix.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #76
GadgetGirl
Rep

A further update from my sunroof explosion is that I received a call from Transport Canada after I submitted a defect complaint form on their site, and they were very interested in this matter and will be investigating...stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #77
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
A further update from my sunroof explosion is that I received a call from Transport Canada after I submitted a defect complaint form on their site, and they were very interested in this matter and will be investigating...stay tuned!
Good stuff. Send them lot's of links to the past posts on this issue.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #78
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

One would think plexiglass would be a better material to use for sunroofs. This is not an isolated incident, and happens more frequently than should be acceptable to the public.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #79
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
One would think plexiglass would be a better material to use for sunroofs. This is not an isolated incident, and happens more frequently than should be acceptable to the public.
Did it happen to you recently or why feel the need to comment the same thing on similar threads?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:55 AM   #80
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

No, as I didn't order mine with the sunroof. In Canada, it was a $1,200 option.

There is a lot of heads up on this:

https://www.wesh.com/article/hundred...ding/30970599#

Heads up: Hundreds of sunroofs spontaneously exploding
ORLANDO, Fla. —
A Central Florida man says he nearly crashed when the sunroof above his head violently shattered while he was on the road.

"We heard a loud bang, and it sounded like a gunshot that went off,” said Justin Rinson, whose sunroof exploded.

Advertisement
Rinson said he was driving on the Florida Turnpike when the sunroof exploded.

Rinson is far from alone. Drivers across the country have their own frightening stories of sunroofs mysteriously exploding.

“This sort of incident is inherently dangerous and deserves to be investigated,” said Consumer Reports reporter Jeff Plungis.

Plungis pored through years of government complaints and found that between 1995 and 2017, 859 complaints of exploding sunroofs were made with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The reports cover 35 auto brands and at least 208 models. Seventy-one percent of those incidents have happened since 2011, with the growing popularity of larger panoramic sunroofs.

The NHTSA has been investigating the claims since 2013 and could force manufacturers to follow standards in how they make and install glass roofs.

"NHTSA's investigation into exploding sunroofs is still open. NHTSA encourages the public to report any safety concerns to the agency,” NHTSA spokesman Derrell Lyles said in a statement.

Plungis said the NHTSA has been dragging out the investigation.

“We want them (NHTSA) to conclude their investigation that's been dragging on for seven years,” Plungis said.

So why is this happening? And what's being done about it to keep you safe?

To help explain it, WESH 2 Investigates was given permission to break different kinds of glass, thanks to GreenStar Auto Salvage in Orlando.

Auto safety groups point to the type of glass used in most sunroofs. It's tempered, which means it's designed to break into small pieces, instead of shards.

That glass is different than what is used in windshields, which are laminated.

They have a film coating that keeps the glass together when it breaks. The fact that sunroofs are breaking at all could be the result of road vibration, temperature changes, pressure from the mounting hardware that holds the glass or a combination of all three.

Some automakers like Volvo and Tesla have begun using only laminated glass in their sunroofs. Other manufacturers, including Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Subaru, are using laminated sunroof glass in some models. Drivers should ask the dealer before purchasing a vehicle.

“It's not clear whether NHTSA is doing something right or doing something wrong. We're just not sure what they're doing,” said Jason Levine, the executive director of the Center for Auto Safety.

Levine said that if the government doesn't act, manufacturers owe it to consumers to extend sunroof warranties or compensate owners when an explosion happens.

“It's happening enough that you could point to this as a manufacturer and say, you know we've got an issue here, it seems to be happening occasionally, let's make this consumer whole. Let's pay for the replacement here,” Levine said.

At least 27 sunroof explosions have involved BMW, though not all of them the model 320i that Rinson drives.

BMW is offering to pay half of his sunroof replacement cost, but he thinks car buyers deserve a safety standard that ensures the glass overhead will stay in one piece.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #81
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...rhead/#protect

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0