BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
UPDATE!! 2/11/2013

After taking my car in for the last service before my warranty expires, I decided to again complain about my stupid "white noise" which can be explained below... This has been a persistent issue that has plagued my car for over 2 years. All of which I have gotten the cold shoulder from BMW saying that it's normal or that there is no fix and the issue has been noted...

Needless to say, my dealer called me today and the technician working on my car said he got confirmation from BMW that they have a new head-unit out that replaces the old faulty RAD2 system. Apparently this gets rid of the persistent white noise that appears to be always on (even with the radio off).

Okay so after my previous thread of the problem... I decided to finally post the verdict to that problem.

It all started with the car not making the white noise at all. After the car went in for a routine check-up, oil change, recall inspection they decided to update the cars ECU. After the update the dealer apparently did not follow the correct protocol and blew out my entire head unit... Needless to say after a week of my car in the shop I was ready to have it back!

The new head unit arrived in sufficient time for me to pick my car back up on Saturday (March 19). After picking my car up and driving home, I noticed a faint but noticeable white noise coming from the front 2 tweeters. Trying to diagnose the problem I tried turning the car on/off, radio on/off, resetting the radio etc... nothing worked. The noise was still coming out of the front 2 tweeters even when the car wasn't even turned on! And to add it was even noticeable with some music on a low volume setting!

Needless to say I decided to keep my car for another week then called the dealer up again. This time having one of the service reps drive with me in the car to hear the problem. They decided to go ahead and reset the head unit... which I already tried, and then proceed to replace it. After replacing the head unit the sound seemed to have disappeared long enough for the service rep driving in the car with me to give the car the OK to leave. Driving home the noise started up again... So I immediately scheduled an appointment for my car to be picked up the following week and checked out. (This was this past week).

After having it in for a couple of days, my service representative had apparently confirmed with the SC production facility technicians that this is an isolated case (08-09 model year 128-135) with the RAD 2 head-unit radio... The cause of the noise is apparently a combination between the amplifier and the electronic system that controls the power current to the speakers - is not functioning correctly and is thus transmitting power when you open/close the door and not turning off at the right time. This is why you hear the white noise which is the feedback that is caused by the speakers.

Answer: What this means for people with this problem? There is no current fix or solution to solve this problem currently. According to my service representative they are working on a solution to hopefully fix this issue sometime in the near future via software update. The entire audio system is perfect, and is thus an electronic system malfunction that cannot be fixed by putting new parts into the car, only updates.

Hope this helps people with the noise...

A simple determination if you have the noise...
1) Hop in the car
2) Close the door
3) Listen for 'any' high frequency noise coming from the driver/passenger door lower speaker (under the sail).
4) The radio does not have to be turned on in order to hear the noise which usually stays on until you exit the vehicle or the electronics turn off in the car.

Last edited by Satalite; 02-11-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Hprockets
Canada
Rep

ugh. i was so hoping for a fix.
i have the same white noise from day 1 in my 128i. it's so annoying! like you said i can hear it when the car is even OFF and the key fob taken out!!

gotta complain about this so i can add to the count of 'isolated' cases...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hprockets View Post
ugh. i was so hoping for a fix.
i have the same white noise from day 1 in my 128i. it's so annoying! like you said i can hear it when the car is even OFF and the key fob taken out!!

gotta complain about this so i can add to the count of 'isolated' cases...
Yah it is a bummer that they don't have a fix yet... A simple update should do the trick if they ever make time for it

Wonder if they ever will
      05-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
The dealer didn't put everything back together properly so not only is it still making that noise, but my head-unit's buttons got mashed in from me clicking the AC on...

Might be getting a free performance exhaust out of the deal !
      05-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
rudyv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I have this problem as well, and the car isn't on or the keyfob in the dash either, very very annoying

Please post any news or updates to this issue in this thread

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyv1 View Post
I have this problem as well, and the car isn't on or the keyfob in the dash either, very very annoying

Please post any news or updates to this issue in this thread

Thank you
It's just occurring due to software update on 1 series 09'ers and maybe 08'ers. No current fix
      06-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
ktkilroy
135i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i M Sport

Cheers man if you hear of any solution coming up let us know cheers man
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkilroy View Post
Cheers man if you hear of any solution coming up let us know cheers man
Will do. Not sure if BMW has any plans for an update though so don't get your hopes up.
      07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Guys... I thought BMW NA was updating the SW for cars that had this static sound coming from the speakers. I remember guys posting about this problem before. They said BMW had a SW update that fixed the noise. From what I remember... the classic symptoms was static clicking noises coming from the door speakers EVEN when the car was switched off and the key out! It can do this for up to 20 minutes IF my memory serves me right. I would have BMW send a PUMA case to BMW for a direct answer. Maybe your guys at the dealer just have never heard of this problem.

The reason I remember this problem was it is a way a lot of people used as an excuse to get the latest SW update. But that is a double edge sword since the latest SW isn't good for N54 guys (poor throttle response and loss of power/response).

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Guys... I thought BMW NA was updating the SW for cars that had this static sound coming from the speakers. I remember guys posting about this problem before. They said BMW had a SW update that fixed the noise. From what I remember... the classic symptoms was static clicking noises coming from the door speakers EVEN when the car was switched off and the key out! It can do this for up to 20 minutes IF my memory serves me right. I would have BMW send a PUMA case to BMW for a direct answer. Maybe your guys at the dealer just have never heard of this problem.

The reason I remember this problem was it is a way a lot of people used as an excuse to get the latest SW update. But that is a double edge sword since the latest SW isn't good for N54 guys (poor throttle response and loss of power/response).

Dackel
Could you email me more information to pass on to my dealer as I have visited them 10x with this issue and they even brought a rep from the BMW Factory in NC to inspect and still said that an update wasn't available. I have a 2009 128i BMW. Thanks you will be receiving PM shortly.
      11-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Could you email me more information to pass on to my dealer as I have visited them 10x with this issue and they even brought a rep from the BMW Factory in NC to inspect and still said that an update wasn't available. I have a 2009 128i BMW. Thanks you will be receiving PM shortly.

Here are some old threads...

post #33 might be the fix your car needs...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...peakers+engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsimkins View Post
I figured I'd post an update. Had the car in service for about a week (last month) and they did finally confirm the issue exists.

They replaced the amp, but with original head-unit = no change
They replaced the head-unit, but with original amp = no change
They replaced both the head-unit and amp from another vehicle = problem went away

So instead of BMW allowing them to order a new head-unit and amp, they had to supply the serial numbers and other information so they can troubleshoot the issue (assuming a combination of hardware is causing the problem). It's been about a month so I plan on following-up with the dealer to see where they stand.

They seem to think it has to do with the combination with a certain build of the amp and head-units combined with the software update. I'll post up some updates when I hear them.

I'm curious of anyone else has had any headway?

here are a few other old posts with the same issue...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+static+engine

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+static+engine

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...noise+speakers

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319049
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Thanks.

I wouldn't want to go about the hassle with the dealer anymore. The issue is still noticeable. I am not sure BMW has issued a fix.
      05-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
UPDATE... car is in the shop and had the dealer look at the white noise again. Should have an update tomorrow.
      05-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Still BMW claims this is a normal thing. Guess ill have to live with it.
      06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
yeah they have claimed its normal the three times ive been in to have it looked at...so annoying that it cannot be fixed
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I noticed this the first day I bought my 08. To be honest, its only noticable when the car is off, which is right around the time I exit the vehicle, so not a huge annoyance.

It did worry me for awhile though.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Reviving this thread...

I was scouring E90Post when I came across this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036190 which has an updated SIB (03/2014) that seems to address this issue. I'm still going through a few threads about this topic, but has anyone tried the new HU? Also, does the radio need to be coded if I'm doing a straight swap and not adding new features like bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
Reviving this thread...

I was scouring E90Post when I came across this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036190 which has an updated SIB (03/2014) that seems to address this issue. I'm still going through a few threads about this topic, but has anyone tried the new HU? Also, does the radio need to be coded if I'm doing a straight swap and not adding new features like bluetooth?
What audio system do you guys have? Because i noticed this after i did the alpine retrofit...So maybe it's the amp?

The white noise happens before i start my car and for a short time after i shut of the car, while there is still power to the amp before it is cut off.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #19
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
What audio system do you guys have? Because i noticed this after i did the alpine retrofit...So maybe it's the amp?

The white noise happens before i start my car and for a short time after i shut of the car, while there is still power to the amp before it is cut off.

Just a thought.
I have the Hi-fi system. For me, you can hear the static noise after opening the door with the radio off, in the background when the radio is on, and a few minutes after the ignition is turned off.

I'm considering upgrading my amp and seeing if that fixes the issue, but I'm guessing that since the TSB describes exactly what I'm experiencing, I'm guessing I'll have to replace the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #20
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
I have the Hi-fi system. For me, you can hear the static noise after opening the door with the radio off, in the background when the radio is on, and a few minutes after the ignition is turned off.

I'm considering upgrading my amp and seeing if that fixes the issue, but I'm guessing that since the TSB describes exactly what I'm experiencing, I'm guessing I'll have to replace the head unit.
I think if you upgrade with an aftermarket amp the noise might go away and i don't think it has anything to do with the head unit (my opinion anyway). I think you get the white noise because the amp get's turned on and remains on in that time between when you get in the car and start it and when you shut off the car and get out.

But yeah try the amp fix first and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #21
09135ijh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135/340/M235/M240/current-M3

Happens with my stock amp. When I replace my amp with a JL amp I then get this noise at a higher volume, and the Gong noise is crazy loud

2009 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
WP1
Private
Rep
Drives: White BMW 135i Convertible

Have anyone done a claim with BMW North America?

I am about to. Been getting this very loud obnoxious noises as well and I took off my rear speaker. The noise stopped, but my front speaker started with static too (not that loud). So, I purchased the rear speaker and installed it yesterday. Well this morning I got the F.... noise again...ggggrrrrr