BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 125i E82 Bluewater

Adding Sway Bars

Good Day All!

an opportunity has come up where I can get some 135i Sway Bars, front and rear and put them on my car.

Sway bars:
E82 135i M Sport Rear 12mm
Part No. 33556764424

E82 135i M Sport Front 26,5mm
Part No. 31356793312

My question is, what do i require? what rubber should i buy? do i replace all?
bolts? get new? brackets?
Also, how much difference will it make?
since i do not want to ride harder but i do feel the steering could be a more dialled in.
i've got the standard 125i - non m sport - auto.
      03-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I think ECS and/or FCP sell bushing kits for the e82.

I'd stay with stock rubber if harshness matters. Also, if you haven't done suspension the sway bars aren't really going to do much. In fact, a good suspension will likely lessen the need for swaybar upgrades on a stockish street car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 03:30 AM   #3
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blau View Post
I think ECS and/or FCP sell bushing kits for the e82.

I'd stay with stock rubber if harshness matters. Also, if you haven't done suspension the sway bars aren't really going to do much. In fact, a good suspension will likely lessen the need for swaybar upgrades on a stockish street car.
i'm in south africa so will probably source the needed parts locally.

i was thinking the sway bars might sharpen up the steering, make the car slightly more fun. am i wrong?
i think on twisty roads you feel the car not turn in as i would like.
      03-15-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer23rm View Post
i'm in south africa so will probably source the needed parts locally.

i was thinking the sway bars might sharpen up the steering, make the car slightly more fun. am i wrong?
i think on twisty roads you feel the car not turn in as i would like.
Personally I think better springs and shocks or coilovers are going to get you those results. I don't think the sway bar will sharpen much as the body roll is mostly taken care of by the stiffer springs.

Also tires are very important. So is camber. There's a lot that goes into sharpening the car in corners. Sway bars is pretty close to last on the list.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2023, 06:04 PM   #5
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
golfer23rm What are your goals for your car, just a fun daily and trying to keep it comfortable otherwise? Does your car have a rear swaybar now?

I agree with Blau if you're planning to track it or autox a lot, but if you just want to keep it comfortable as a daily then I think adding the 135i swaybars is a good way to sharpen it up.

It may not be as intuitive, but a bigger front swaybar on McPherson strut car helps to control the body roll and therefore camber loss on the front end in turns. So you should feel that the car is more confident in corners even with the stock alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2023, 03:24 AM   #6
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
golfer23rm What are your goals for your car, just a fun daily and trying to keep it comfortable otherwise? Does your car have a rear swaybar now?

I agree with Blau if you're planning to track it or autox a lot, but if you just want to keep it comfortable as a daily then I think adding the 135i swaybars is a good way to sharpen it up.

It may not be as intuitive, but a bigger front swaybar on McPherson strut car helps to control the body roll and therefore camber loss on the front end in turns. So you should feel that the car is more confident in corners even with the stock alignment.
hi! i've been reading up, and since it is not an M-sport, and a 125i, it does not have the rear sway bars. i am not sure about the front set up.

yes, just a fun daily.

so are you suggesting not to do the sway bars initially? or that doing it will help with body roll that you feel in corners and sharpen the ride up?
      03-17-2023, 06:20 AM   #7
Blau
J
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
hi! i've been reading up, and since it is not an M-sport, and a 125i, it does not have the rear sway bars. i am not sure about the front set up.

yes, just a fun daily.

so are you suggesting not to do the sway bars initially? or that doing it will help with body roll that you feel in corners and sharpen the ride up?
I'd skip the sway bars and do shocks and springs or coilovers. The way it's been explained to me is that sway bars are for fine tuning. I have a rear bar ready to go once I get a beefier front bar, but I'm not doing that mod until I get a track day under my belt. For street stuff, the suspension has been the best thing I've ever done for the quality of this car. The Bilstein PSS9 kit completely transformed my car.

Your mileage may vary. If you do go this route, please respond back after it's done and let us know how the changes felt.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 08:15 PM   #8
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

yes, just a fun daily.

I'm saying if you just want an easy bolt on to make the car feel better in the corners, and have no desire to modify the suspension in a way that would make it less comfortable, then the 135i swaybars are a good solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 03:36 AM   #9
golfer23rm
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I'm saying if you just want an easy bolt on to make the car feel better in the corners, and have no desire to modify the suspension in a way that would make it less comfortable, then the 135i swaybars are a good solution.
Hi! that's what exactly what i was looking for. i don't think i'll be going coil overs or doing other things. Maybe in time but for the price of the bars, works out to $40 each, then mechs labour, and if i need other bits.