BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #45
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

:middlefin To you and your future discount on race fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #46
reo5001
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

They don't give discounts on fuel to employees me thinks....=/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #47
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Federal? Hardly. And I think it's quite legal in MD to put on an exhaust that is not CARB certified. :biggrin:

Doh, people universally used CARB as means of expressing federal emissions laws, ie EPA.

Maryland is is subject to those laws.

EPA Section 203:

(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any
device or element of design installed on or in a motor
vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regula-
tions under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the
ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or
render inoperative any such device or element of design
after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to
sell, or install, any part or component intended for use
with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle
engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is
to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or
element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or
motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under
this title, and where the person knows or should know that
such part or component is being offered for sale or
installed for such use or put to such use; or

Any aftermarket exhaust that is not certified, is illegal. Not that I am harping on the situation, just merly stating a legal point. I have no problem with people who use aftermarket exhausts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #48
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

i heard they do that a lot in cali
thanks for the link, I got stuck there for 45 mins. I found out how the turbo works and why we get brain freeze when we eat ice cream too fast!! I also found out why women got to Hungary to give birth. Awesome site!!
Thank you!! :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #49
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearro View Post
thanks for the link, I got stuck there for 45 mins. I found out how the turbo works and why we get brain freeze when we eat ice cream too fast!! I also found out why women got to Hungary to give birth. Awesome site!!
Thank you!! :biggrin:
no problem its a great site.. check out the how to pick locks section lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #50
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

is it possible to mount a different downpipe and remove cats. It has 2 lambda if i am not mistaken.

Does it not give an engine fault on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #51
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Does it not give an engine fault on the dash.
It should, or the O2 sensors are not really doing their job I would think. First O2 reads the levels in initial exhaust gasses and the second one re-reads to make sure the cat. is doing it's job. If not it should alert you to the fact that your cat. is bad.
      02-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #52
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
Catalytic converters are required by law, I can't imagine a car without them passing emissions.

I also can't imagine a cop looking under your car when he pulls you over, either.
Most states don't do sniff tests. They just do an OBDII scan.

You can pass in the VAST majority of states being catless.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #53
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

You would need to buy O2 simulators to keep from getting any codes. From BMWjuice website:

Eliminates annoying check engine lights associated with catless downpipes. Installs in the ECU area and intercepts/alters the rear oxygen sensor signals to trick the ECU in to thinking the cats are still present. Requires functional rear oxygen sensors. Not for use on street cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #54
imported_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Hey guys, ive been reading and looking and researching......etc etc, im a big fan of reliability, so my question is ( I was opting dinan or procede V2 tune): Ive seen no one have issues with the Juice box, amazing results, and better the fact that its an untraceable mod (unless ur dumbass leaves it in), Why so cheap??????????????? You pay for what you get no????

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #55
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Because its a resistor based system (very Cheap) instead of a microcontrller system ie procede....:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #56
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
funny how porsche wants 80K+ for that carrera 4 or 100k for the 4S and it only has 325-355hp...
i'm not saying that that price is not really expensive but, honestly, have you ever driven one? i've not had the pleasure of driving a 997 but i have driven a 996 c2 cab extensively and it was simply awesome. it was certainly not the fastest car i've driven but the way it felt is beyond description. if i won the lottery, the very first car i would purchase would be a 997 gt3. best way i could ever imagine spending $115k. :P
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #57
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
i'm not saying that that price is not really expensive but, honestly, have you ever driven one? i've not had the pleasure of driving a 997 but i have driven a 996 c2 cab extensively and it was simply awesome. it was certainly not the fastest car i've driven but the way it felt is beyond description. if i won the lottery, the very first car i would purchase would be a 997 gt3. best way i could ever imagine spending $115k. :P
You cou.d spend double that and not get half what you paid! You could also spend less then 115K and get more!

You only live once!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #58
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post

ahh.. i have to agree.. I hav an 06 C2 and yeah its pricey.. but its drives like nothing else..

We all know or atleast have heard how the 1er has certain issues that need to be put in check.. like the push it has coming into courners or not have a GOOD LSD etc etc.. you dont get that in a Porsche.. that car is perfectly balanced. Dont get me wrong.. Ithing bang for buck the 1er is AWSOME but you cant compare the two cars.. trust me..

so no one calls b.s..

That car is a track W****!!!! The harder you push it the better it drives..
Interesting point.. The M coupe pictured was quite a bit faster down the long strights but couldnt compete in stopping and corners.. (a rather large part in racing lol) his tires were TOAST!!
side note: The only car to get past us that day was a GT3 RS.. WOW, that was a cool car..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #59
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw2006aus View Post
Because its a resistor based system (very Cheap) instead of a microcontrller system ie procede....:biggrin:
Only partially true. JB Stage 1 is a resistor based system - a signal attenuator in essence. For this, you pay a few dollars in parts and $160 for R&D and manufacturing.

JB S2 is a resistor attenuator plus active component system (think transistors, diodes whatever). The resistor network can deal with boost in a linear fashion, but fuel trimming (enrichment) is best done with a non-linear curve an thus the need for slightly more complex components. For this you pay the same $10 in parts, and $340 for R&D and manufacturing.

To compare, SS Turbo Tuner is much like JBS1 in concept, perhaps a little more complex (it monitors the engine compartment temperature as well). It's the same $10 in parts, and $500 for R&D and manufacturing. You also pay for it's clever integration with the engine (the most plug-and-play system out there).

For Procede and the likes, which is a totally progammable signal processor you pay $700 for the hardware and another $7-800 for R&D.

The main reason why you hear of various issues with the Procede IMO is its complexity. The more complex the system, the more you can accomplish with it, but it also has the potential for more problems to surface.

So bottom line for the JB is: keep it simple and it won't have problems, but it also won't have ultimate power levels. If that is what you are looking for, there is no reason not to go with it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #60
imported_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Only partially true. JB Stage 1 is a resistor based system - a signal attenuator in essence. For this, you pay a few dollars in parts and $160 for R&D and manufacturing.

JB S2 is a resistor attenuator plus active component system (think transistors, diodes whatever). The resistor network can deal with boost in a linear fashion, but fuel trimming (enrichment) is best done with a non-linear curve an thus the need for slightly more complex components. For this you pay the same $10 in parts, and $340 for R&D and manufacturing.

To compare, SS Turbo Tuner is much like JBS1 in concept, perhaps a little more complex (it monitors the engine compartment temperature as well). It's the same $10 in parts, and $500 for R&D and manufacturing. You also pay for it's clever integration with the engine (the most plug-and-play system out there).

For Procede and the likes, which is a totally progammable signal processor you pay $700 for the hardware and another $7-800 for R&D.

The main reason why you hear of various issues with the Procede IMO is its complexity. The more complex the system, the more you can accomplish with it, but it also has the potential for more problems to surface.

So bottom line for the JB is: keep it simple and it won't have problems, but it also won't have ultimate power levels. If that is what you are looking for, there is no reason not to go with it.

:thumbup: Awesome, and this is why I ask, would of taken me a thousand years to give this explanation!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #61
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

No doubt "Einstein" i was just giving a BRIEF explianation no need to quote, but nice break down......
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #62
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
No doubt "Einstein" i was just giving a BRIEF explianation no need to quote, but nice break down......
It takes a special type of person to mock somebody for providing information, but thanks for the compliment.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #63
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep

and didnt you begin?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #64
jcw2006aus
Private First Class
Rep

Anyway, will anyone be looking into the JB2 over procede...or are we all waiting for a couple of years?
I think that the JB is well priced and seems to have less issues but i do understand that it is a static tune besides the H pill... does anyone know if there are any issues with adding high flow parts with the JB2?

Also does anyone know what the difference is in fuel ratings from the US to Australia? if any!
We have BP Ultimate 98 here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #65
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I may get the JB2H, and just run 93 octane. Terry is coming out with a new tune that incorporates a knob/switch with detents on it, and allows you to to go to each of his tune states, including R and H pills. Sounds interesting, but I don't know if I would need more than a JB2H.

To be honest, I do see more potential in the procede, but I don't want to tinker that much. I'll rarely, if ever, have race gas, and would probably never have aftermarket downpipes.

First will be to get the suspension and tires sorted, along with a CDV delete and brake fluid change... then I can look to the motor, if I feel I need to.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #66
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Anyway, will anyone be looking into the JB2 over procede...or are we all waiting for a couple of years?
I think that the JB is well priced and seems to have less issues but i do understand that it is a static tune besides the H pill... does anyone know if there are any issues with adding high flow parts with the JB2?

Also does anyone know what the difference is in fuel ratings from the US to Australia? if any!
We have BP Ultimate 98 here.

Thanks
Look up RON vs MON.

Personally, I'll be going with Helix, as it costs about as much money, is local, and provides the most power out of any of the currently available tunes, with on the fly program switching.
Appreciate 0