BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
ef2
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

135i N55 - Not hitting requested PSI?

Firstly, Hello everyone! I have been looking for a 2013 White 135i N55 Manual for a while. I managed to pick one up in a spec I wanted a couple of months ago and it's lovely!

Anyway, to my concerns..

I have recently decided to go down the MHD tuning route. I purchased and fitted a VRSF decat down-pipe along with a Masata charge pipe.

Stock map + decat + chargepipe after inputting the datalogs into Virtual Dyno (Which i've been told is fairly accurate) was making 289WHP

STOCK (Decat + Chargepipe) DATALOGS --> https://datazap.me/u/f2ume/stock-dec...=0&data=4-5-20

--

I then went on to flash stage 1, power was noticeably better than stock but I still felt like it's not what I was hoping for.

I did some data logging and found it's not exactly hitting the target boost and i'm unsure what to make of it.

STAGE 1 DATALOGS(3) --> https://datazap.me/u/f2ume/stage-1-d...=2&data=4-5-20
After inputting these datalogs into Virtual dyno.. I was reaching an average of 320WHP

--

I was then told I should compare to how the boost would react to Stage 2+ (I'm aware I should have an upgraded FMIC but for these tests the IAT seem healthy so I gave it a go).

I did 3 more datalogs at stage2+ and the boost is still not meeting the target (IAT still looks fine..)

STAGE 2+ DATALOGS(3) -->https://datazap.me/u/f2ume/stage-2-d...=0&data=4-5-20

After putting these datalogs into Virtual Dyno I was getting an average of 288WHP??? This is less than Stage 1 and basically the same as STOCK, and what is going on with that Torque?

--

Does anyone have any suggestions or further analysis as to why this is happening?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

stg 2,
Looks like around 5,400 is where boost starts to taper. Some of this is because "load req %" is tapering after this point. That is how all the maps below the E85 ones work, boost taper. But you're not coming anywhere near the req load so I'm not sure why it's following the trend, I'm not a N55 guy though, maybe there's some other thing to log that is more accurate, some subtractor?

Also I'm wondering if the coolant temp is playing a little into why it's not hitting targets. 230*F is on the warm side IMO. But I don't know when it starts pulling power.

Something looks to be screwed up with the MAF on this tune.
IAT is lower, boost is higher, yet "maf g/s" is lower, flattens around that 5,400 area. Something with the way it's being calculated is wrong, IMO.

stg 1,
Coolant is 10*F cooler here. Not sure how that plays in. Could be something.
This tune is running about 3* more ignition timing in the early/mid area. That's going to be more seat of the pants feel being these cars have very strong mid RPM punch. I don't doubt this tune makes more TQ in that range than stage 2 does. Odd as that is.
Also there's a couple timing pulls in this log. So I wouldn't put too much into this one. A clean log would be best to really nitpick.

4th is the best gear to log in. Most of the TQ nannies for the trans are turned off then and you'll have a better chance of getting a clean log. Just keep in mind the speeds and make sure you're being safe. You can start well before you need and stop well after. Then just cut out what you need with excel.

And I wonder if there's a slight boost leak above that 10'ish psi mark? Put zipties on all the vacuum lines to try and make sure they aren't a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
ef2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
stg 2,
Looks like around 5,400 is where boost starts to taper. Some of this is because "load req %" is tapering after this point. That is how all the maps below the E85 ones work, boost taper. But you're not coming anywhere near the req load so I'm not sure why it's following the trend, I'm not a N55 guy though, maybe there's some other thing to log that is more accurate, some subtractor?

Also I'm wondering if the coolant temp is playing a little into why it's not hitting targets. 230*F is on the warm side IMO. But I don't know when it starts pulling power.

Something looks to be screwed up with the MAF on this tune.
IAT is lower, boost is higher, yet "maf g/s" is lower, flattens around that 5,400 area. Something with the way it's being calculated is wrong, IMO.

stg 1,
Coolant is 10*F cooler here. Not sure how that plays in. Could be something.
This tune is running about 3* more ignition timing in the early/mid area. That's going to be more seat of the pants feel being these cars have very strong mid RPM punch. I don't doubt this tune makes more TQ in that range than stage 2 does. Odd as that is.
Also there's a couple timing pulls in this log. So I wouldn't put too much into this one. A clean log would be best to really nitpick.

4th is the best gear to log in. Most of the TQ nannies for the trans are turned off then and you'll have a better chance of getting a clean log. Just keep in mind the speeds and make sure you're being safe. You can start well before you need and stop well after. Then just cut out what you need with excel.

And I wonder if there's a slight boost leak above that 10'ish psi mark? Put zipties on all the vacuum lines to try and make sure they aren't a problem.
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate your analysis, I will be trying a new Boost solenoid tomorrow / Thursday and will secure the vacuum lines for further testing..

In the mean time I have reached out to MHD and i'm hoping for some further responses here
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
ef2
Rep

I have replaced the boost control solenoid (Pierburg 700887220). This made no difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
ef2
Rep

MHD got back to be and gave me a test Stage2+ file. I flashed the car and also replaced the throttle body to charge pipe o-ring.

I have only had a chance to do drive it once and the datalogs are looking much more promising throughout the rev range!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

Charge pipe fitting can be a bitch to get get onto the throttle body correctly sometimes. I remove the Throttle body, fit charge pipe correctly (use silicone grease on the seal) to throttle body, add locking clip then install throttle body with charge pipe connected back into the car. Works boost leak free 100% every time I use this method.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
jayf1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupe

bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2UME View Post
MHD got back to be and gave me a test Stage2+ file. I flashed the car and also replaced the throttle body to charge pipe o-ring.

I have only had a chance to do drive it once and the datalogs are looking much more promising throughout the rev range!
Hi mate. I think I have bought your previous car. Any idea on what were the latest map that you had on the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayf1 View Post
Hi mate. I think I have bought your previous car. Any idea on what were the latest map that you had on the car?
Looks like last activity from OP was September of last year, and seeing as he doesn't have the car anymore, I don't think he will be back. Maybe try getting MHD and run a scan to see if it shows what's installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayf1 View Post
Pull a datalog.
The auto naming of the file will tell you what tune is currently on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
ef2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Looks like last activity from OP was September of last year, and seeing as he doesn't have the car anymore, I don't think he will be back. Maybe try getting MHD and run a scan to see if it shows what's installed?
dtla1 How have you came to the conclusion that I no longer have the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2UME View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
dtla1 How have you came to the conclusion that I no longer have the car?
I didn't come to that conclusion jayf1 thought he had bought your car, so that would mean you wouldn't have it anymore, unless you've had more than 1.?
Appreciate 0