BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW!

Should I get inlets if I am on pump gas only?

Planning to get a 135i soon and am in the process of researching mods. I want to get the VSRF OEM location inlets but I read somewhere the silicone ones are bad. Would I get any gains if I am only using pump 94? I am mostly looking for top end gains here as that's where the stock turbos start to fall off.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer2 View Post
Planning to get a 135i soon and am in the process of researching mods. I want to get the VSRF OEM location inlets but I read somewhere the silicone ones are bad. Would I get any gains if I am only using pump 94? I am mostly looking for top end gains here as that's where the stock turbos start to fall off.
You'll need e85 if you want to push stock turbos up at redline.

Also for inlets. If running 93/pump do normal FBO +/- meth injection and stop
      12-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
You'll need e85 if you want to push stock turbos up at redline.

Also for inlets. If running 93/pump do normal FBO +/- meth injection and stop
Would I gain anything up top by getting inlets on pump gas? The worst thing that I have seen on the stock turbo's dyno sheets were the way the HP falls off after about 5.5k rpm. Does this mean I should not shift at redline? Im hoping inlets can get me back some of the top end.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Would I gain anything up top by getting inlets on pump gas? The worst thing that I have seen on the stock turbo's dyno sheets were the way the HP falls off after about 5.5k rpm. Does this mean I should not shift at redline? Im hoping inlets can get me back some of the top end.

Look at dynos with bigger turbos and more power, you'll see the same cliff. Granted there's more power but that RPM limit is still there.
I'd asked about it years ago and everyone laffed at me. It's a cam/head/piston speed thing. You're not going to get good top end power without some serious head reworking.

Inlets, outlets, downpipes all help the turbos flow easier. It's not that you really make more power it's just easier for the turbos to make that power which adds a little reliability to them, they don't have to spin as fast.

I was pretty consistent 11.8's on stock airbox.
Similar tune but relocated inlets and best I managed was high 11.4, but averaged 11.6's.
Inlets did help on the MPH/big end for sure. MPH jumped from about 113 to 121.

It's one of those things where you really don't need to be FBO. But you will need a good intercooler if you plan of doing anything. Stock is just pathetic once you up the boost. Go 7.5" right away. Do a charge pipe right away.
Just leave everything else stock until you need to replace it. You can get good power from stock parts.
Appreciate 1
Afam28296.50
      12-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Look at dynos with bigger turbos and more power, you'll see the same cliff. Granted there's more power but that RPM limit is still there.
I'd asked about it years ago and everyone laffed at me. It's a cam/head/piston speed thing. You're not going to get good top end power without some serious head reworking.

Inlets, outlets, downpipes all help the turbos flow easier. It's not that you really make more power it's just easier for the turbos to make that power which adds a little reliability to them, they don't have to spin as fast.

Similar tune but relocated inlets and best I managed was high 11.4, but averaged 11.6's.

It's one of those things where you really don't need to be FBO. But you will need a good intercooler if you plan of doing anything. Stock is just pathetic once you up the boost. Go 7.5" right away. Do a charge pipe right away.
Just leave everything else stock until you need to replace it. You can get good power from stock parts.
Well, my goal was 400whp on pump and in order to hit that I have to be fbo it seems. I was just wondering if inlets were worth it. Also, why doesn't this platform offer cam upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Well, my goal was 400whp on pump and in order to hit that I have to be fbo it seems. I was just wondering if inlets were worth it. Also, why doesn't this platform offer cam upgrades?
Probably because no one ever explored it. Do it!

[IMG]https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim[/IMG]
      12-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nah. People go FBO because they just need to spend money. You'll very rarely find someone who says, 'Ya, I spent $1,000 on go fast mods and none of them where worth it'.

They do make cams. Problem is the cost and they few that have them have had a difficult time tuning for them. For the money it's cheaper to just add boost or upgrade turbo.
There is also a 8,500 RPM hard ignition limit in the computer. So you can't explore 2JZ kind of RPM for that big power.

And also on the cam line, early cams where solid. Just like traditional cams. Later, around mid/late 2008 and after, are hydroformed cams. So it's far harder (maybe impossible) to weld/regrind them to a new profile.

I don't know how the available cams are made. I've never seen anyone post pictures. But I assume they are a solid core traditional cam.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nah. People go FBO because they just need to spend money. You'll very rarely find someone who says, 'Ya, I spent $1,000 on go fast mods and none of them where worth it'.

They do make cams. Problem is the cost and they few that have them have had a difficult time tuning for them. For the money it's cheaper to just add boost or upgrade turbo.
There is also a 8,500 RPM hard ignition limit in the computer. So you can't explore 2JZ kind of RPM for that big power.

And also on the cam line, early cams where solid. Just like traditional cams. Later, around mid/late 2008 and after, are hydroformed cams. So it's far harder (maybe impossible) to weld/regrind them to a new profile.

I don't know how the available cams are made. I've never seen anyone post pictures. But I assume they are a solid core traditional cam.
Why can't tuners just remove the ignition cut in the computer? Still on the fence about inlets.... Would it hamper my power curve anywhere? Or does it give gains all across the board? Or in the mid range? Where does it actually increase power?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep

http://www.myaudis4.com/2015/05/20/bmw-inlet-debacle/
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

this thread looks familiar

inlets are beneficial on pump gas as well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
this thread looks familiar

inlets are beneficial on pump gas as well
I haven't really gotten a definitive answer. How much do they help on just pump gas? Will it lower my HP at a certain part in the powerband?

Sorry if this was discussed already.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't really gotten a definitive answer. How much do they help on just pump gas? Will it lower my HP at a certain part in the powerband?

Sorry if this was discussed already.
no worries at all. The gains depend on your map. It does not lower HP on any part of the powerband

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
Randomizer2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
no worries at all. The gains depend on your map. It does not lower HP on any part of the powerband
I will be going with a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I will be going with a custom tune.
i suggest asking your tuner about the gains he expects his map to make with inlets

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 03:42 AM   #15
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
I had issues with the VSRF OEM location inlets, mainly I don't think they were designed quite for the 1 series. There is way less space compared to the 3 series. I had issues with the fronts rubbing on the pulleys, I had to upgrade to stiffer motor mounts to minimize this along with using metal ties to secure the inlet to the fan shroud.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably by RB inlets. If you look at them side by side the RB front inlet has a bit more bend and less girth in the places where it's needed to prevent rubbing, especially on the 1 series. RB inlets taper down to 1.75 inches where needed where I believe the VRSF is 2 in all the way. Or you can just get the relocated inlets.

As far as your original question I can't really give you an answer as I'm on stage 2 turbo's, but realistically if your not planning on pushing more than 18 PSI, I don't think it's needed. On stock turbo's you'll want to start tapering PSI in the higher RPM ranges and that's where the inlet's really shine. Pushing 18 to 20 PSI above 6000 RPM on stock turbo's is just a bad idea.

But you can always buy it now for when your stock turbo's go out and upgrade to stage 2's.
Appreciate 2
Petro135451.50
Bullitt90.50
      01-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #16
Blown95ImpalaSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: s54 e36 m3/4/5

Inlets are amazing regardless of octane. Quicker spool, longer + easier turbo lifespan if you aren't asking for 20+lbs, great sound, instant throttle response etc. They're a no brainer if you care about power and have any kind of tune on the car.

Installation is not easy. If you're doing it yourself then fitment is important and you can do some homework on that, otherwise I'd consult your installer and ask what they prefer. All pretty similar designs if you are mating them to stock turbos.
Appreciate 1
Bullitt90.50