BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Aluminum guibo FUBAR - video!!

2013 135IS. 130k miles.

Went ahead and did a UUC SSK, teflon shifter carrier bushings, RE trans mounts and a wagner catted DP.

Dropped the driveshaft at the guibo to get access to the shifter and parts up there. All goes well, parts are in.

First drive I felt some knocking/vibration in first gear under acceleration under the center of the car. Drove it to my destination just fine. All other gears were fine, no vibrations. On the way home, it got worse, low rpms under acceleration in second gear as well, it would make this pretty bad vibration/knocking noise. Then, all of a sudden, it got really bad and my shifting was clunky and engaging the gears was terrible sounding.

Got under the car today to take a look. Check out this video:

https://streamable.com/3ojpe1

So... how does this happen? Did I not properly re-install this? Why is is so far apart? I pulled the driveshaft off the guibo, and let it hang to the side while I did work on the shifter, put the guibo back, bolted it back up, then bolted the driveshaft to the guibo. I mean the guibo "bushings" fell right out when I took it apart right now. The guibo was in good condition when I took it out too. No cracks or anything.

Also, wondering if the center support bearing is okay too. It looks okay so I am not sure how to test that. I did not pre-load the CSB before, as I was researching this, I found you are supposed to do that. Not sure if that mattered.

I found information that BMW has discontinued the aluminuim one and recommends the rubber. Is that true?

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Pretty sure there was a recall to have that replaced with a rubber one a couple of years ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Yes. Please just install a rubber one. The aluminum composite guibo was a development failure and rapidly abandoned by BMW. I'm continuously staggered they're available for purchase.
      08-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Yes. Please just install a rubber one. The aluminum composite guibo was a development failure and rapidly abandoned by BMW. I'm continuously staggered they're available for purchase.
Got a rubber one being delivered tomorrow. Just surprised that it got destroyed like that. Maybe upon uninstall/reinstall it got weakened and just failed. I'm not convinced the vibration is just from the guibo though. Sort of concerned about the center support bearing too. We'll find out when the part comes in.

Is there a specific order the driveshaft / CSB / guibo need to be reinstalled in?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post
Got a rubber one being delivered tomorrow. Just surprised that it got destroyed like that. Maybe upon uninstall/reinstall it got weakened and just failed. I'm not convinced the vibration is just from the guibo though. Sort of concerned about the center support bearing too. We'll find out when the part comes in.

Is there a specific order the driveshaft / CSB / guibo need to be reinstalled in?
Considering they can be replaced piecemeal I don't think so but best to consult the TIS or your copy of the Bentley manual (which isn't infallible bit damn good)
      08-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Replaced the aluminum guibo with the rubber one. Everything went well. Followed the directions from ECS tuning video here:

Buttoned everything back up, took it for a drive and I still have a slight vibration like before but it is much less. If I'm in first gear at 2k and step on the gas moderately, it will make this harsh vibration noise. It is not as bad as before but I'm thinking the center support bearing or the rubber in there was maybe compromised when I uninstalled originally.

I will continue to monitor the vibration going forward and update this thread with new info.

If it continues I may have a shop look at what the issue may be.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymoneyincash View Post
Replaced the aluminum guibo with the rubber one. Everything went well. Followed the directions from ECS tuning video here:

Buttoned everything back up, took it for a drive and I still have a slight vibration like before but it is much less. If I'm in first gear at 2k and step on the gas moderately, it will make this harsh vibration noise. It is not as bad as before but I'm thinking the center support bearing or the rubber in there was maybe compromised when I uninstalled originally.

I will continue to monitor the vibration going forward and update this thread with new info.

If it continues I may have a shop look at what the issue may be.
Make sure the CSB isnt upside down.
      08-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #8
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good thought. I never took the CSB off the driveshaft though, never even disconnected the driveshaft from the spline, only unbolted the CSB from the chassis. Moved the CSB about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch forward and then tightened it up too on install.

Wondering if the rubber on the CSB is compromised. I am not sure what else to look at. Maybe have a shop look at it if it continues.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You sir, were correct. Well done. Took another look at the driveshaft today before the shop took it in next week. Car is smooth as butter now. Thank you so much. Saved me $500.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
FYI, if the CSB was upside down you wouldn't be able to get the aluminum heat shield that runs between the driveshaft and exhaust on, trust me, I know, I just replaced my CSB, Guibo and trans mounts this past weekend. COuldn't figure out why I couldn't get the shield back on, lol.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
FYI, if the CSB was upside down you wouldn't be able to get the aluminum heat shield that runs between the driveshaft and exhaust on, trust me, I know, I just replaced my CSB, Guibo and trans mounts this past weekend. COuldn't figure out why I couldn't get the shield back on, lol.
Well, I did get the heat shield in, perhaps it never fit properly but yeah, the CSB was upside down. Car is running great now.

What trans mounts did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Pretty sure there was a recall to have that replaced with a rubber one a couple of years ago.
Sounded familiar to me too!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V067-9870.pdf

Although according to that, it shouldn't affect '13 models, and if it was a rev3 should have been fine. Although funny that the fix for a bad one (rev 1 or rev2) is to install a rubber one, not an aluminum rev3, they prob knew even that one was questionable.
Appreciate 0