BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Nimbus1951
Rep
Drives: 135i Wannahave...

Question Engine modified and new map... advice?

I recently had a modification of my car (135i, N55, manual) done consisting of:

- aFe Magnum Force stage 2 intake
- Wagner Evo 2 Competition intercooler
- Wagner 200cell downpipe
- Wagner charge pipe

The car was already equipped with the BMW Performance Exhaust. Stock twin-scroll turbo. Stock clutch.

The car was, after installation, remapped by someone here in Denmark who has a very good reputation for doing sound mappings that are well adjusted (I asked him _not_ to go all in on power).
The end result, as you can see on the graph, is 391ps (385.5 HP) engine power (NOT wheel power) and 592Nm (437 ftlb) engine torque (NOT wheel torque). The engine is running between 0.7 and 0.9 bar (10.2 to 13.1 psi).
I myself think it looks like a sound power and torque curve and am impressed of how much has come out of such a relatively low boost.
My concern is regarding the gearbox and the 592Nm (437ftlb) - this sounds to me like a lot to push through and I'm looking for advice from people who have experience with modifying/driving/racing 135i's with the same or more torque.
The car is my daily driver with the a happy-amateur track day perhaps 2 times a year.... and ofcourse the occational street light race.

I know the limitations of the clutch but should it turn out to be a problem I can always install another so..... the gearbox is not so easy (or cheap) to change and is thus my question for you guys.

Do I keep the 592Nm (437ftlb) or should I have the mapper turn it down a notch?

The torque scale to the right of the graph is a bit off :/ it's cause I made it by hand because the scale/grid was weirdly 47.5Nm per tick :/
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

It's fine. Only have the tuner limit tq if you can't hook up. Better solution to that problem would be stickier tires though.

Enjoy the new mods! Stock clutch can handle ~400whp/wtq long term, mines been fine at 450 for 30k+. Stock 6mt can handle, 900? We don't know the ceiling of the gear strength, the clutch always wears out first
      05-01-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
Nimbus1951
Rep
Drives: 135i Wannahave...

Thumbs up

Well, I've concluded that there is a 100% agreement amongst all answers

Thanks for the reply ShocknAwe. It's good to hear from people with more miles behind their mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #4
samlarson
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Well, I've concluded that there is a 100% agreement amongst all answers
Here you will find info on what a finance charge on the loan https://directloantransfer.com/blog/...rge-on-a-loan/ I think it could be interesting
Thanks for the reply ShocknAwe. It's good to hear from people with more miles behind their mods.
fun fact, somehow it's not the clutch that goes off first but the tires
I have to change mine every 10k miles on the paid roads!

Last edited by samlarson; 09-23-2020 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
It's fine. Only have the tuner limit tq if you can't hook up. Better solution to that problem would be stickier tires though.

Enjoy the new mods! Stock clutch can handle ~400whp/wtq long term, mines been fine at 450 for 30k+. Stock 6mt can handle, 900? We don't know the ceiling of the gear strength, the clutch always wears out first
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

I'm still on the original clutch at 115k miles or so. It's been jb4 and fbo since 40k when I got it. And MHD fbo as well now with the jb4 only there for no lift shifts at this point.

I can't believe the clutch is still doing fine. It slips in the winter doing highway pulls but is fine all the rest of the year. I no longer drive it in the winter since I have an x1 35i but at this point I'm curious to see how long it holds. I'd do an upgraded clutch when the time comes of course (as well as the rear main seal finally) and motor and transmission mounts, but I've been incredibly impressed with a stock clutch lasting this long. Never babied either.
Appreciate 0