BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2022, 09:06 PM   #23
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

You're in BTown? Alex @ Jericho Motorsport was my go to Indy for any BMW issues/mods I had when I lived in Indiana. Stay away from World Wide Automotive lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #24
ArtWillTravel
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post
You're in BTown? Alex @ Jericho Motorsport was my go to Indy for any BMW issues/mods I had when I lived in Indiana. Stay away from World Wide Automotive lol.
Thanks for the recommendation. Why avoid World Wide? Just curious if you had a particular disdain for them. I did go there first and they were the ones alerting me to some issues but didn't really offer a solution. I'll look up Jericho. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:49 AM   #25
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtWillTravel View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Why avoid World Wide? Just curious if you had a particular disdain for them. I did go there first and they were the ones alerting me to some issues but didn't really offer a solution. I'll look up Jericho. Thanks!
They refused to install a msport steering wheel in my car because it didn't come original on the car. I was a returning customer also so that was surprising to me. Decided to look elsewhere to see if there were better options in the area.

I'm sure they can offer you insight on your troubles, other than the last encounter I got good service. Their labor rates are on the higher side but I guess thats how they have a shuttle service. All this was maybe 6 years ago so things might have changed.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #26
ArtWillTravel
Rep

Quote:
They refused to install a msport steering wheel in my car because it didn't come original on the car. I was a returning customer also so that was surprising to me. Decided to look elsewhere to see if there were better options in the area.

I'm sure they can offer you insight on your troubles, other than the last encounter I got good service. Their labor rates are on the higher side but I guess thats how they have a shuttle service. All this was maybe 6 years ago so things might have changed.
Thanks for the info. Worldwide Auto no longer has a shuttle service and I'm not sure how their labor rates compare to others in the area. I'll have the car back soon and will pursue other options.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #27
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It's definitely cool you are considering repairing it. Even though I recommended getting rid of it, the right thing to do is definitely getting additional, qualified opinions on it.

A million years ago a friend bought a used VW Scirrocco (like I said, a million years ago). It was a newspaper ad, mechanic's special, wouldn't start, and so on. He bought it for about half what it was normally worth, maybe 2k instead of 4k. Then went to the autoparts store for a cap & rotor (again, a million years ago) and then drove it home. Umm, point being, there's a chance it's something fairly simple causing a string of other, potentially unrelated, issues.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 06:48 AM   #28
apexwerks
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, E46 M3, Mk7 TDI Wagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
It's definitely cool you are considering repairing it. Even though I recommended getting rid of it, the right thing to do is definitely getting additional, qualified opinions on it.

A million years ago a friend bought a used VW Scirrocco (like I said, a million years ago). It was a newspaper ad, mechanic's special, wouldn't start, and so on. He bought it for about half what it was normally worth, maybe 2k instead of 4k. Then went to the autoparts store for a cap & rotor (again, a million years ago) and then drove it home. Umm, point being, there's a chance it's something fairly simple causing a string of other, potentially unrelated, issues.
+1000

There's a lot to be said for a mechanic that will figure it out vs. quoting massive parts replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #29
apexwerks
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, E46 M3, Mk7 TDI Wagn

ArtWillTravel any updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #30
ArtWillTravel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexwerks View Post
ArtWillTravel any updates?
Nothing yet. I've had to put this issue aside for the time being and get on with work. In driving the car, I've learned that the vibration issues are less apparent when using the manual transmission mode instead of automatic. Could that mean the torque convertor isn't the culprit?

I still plan to contact a local independent mechanic and probe deeper but for now, my budget is blown and I can't devote much time to this matter. Everything else about the car runs great. I sure do appreciate all the contributions in this thread. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #31
RandyMakDaddy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Convertible

Can you put a 2011 BMW128i Coupe engine in a convertible? As far as the VANOS problem. I went through the same thing when I purchased my 128i. Costed me $4,000 to fix. Happened right after the recall ended. I tried everything possible but nobody helped or cared. BMW is just going to tell you to buy a new 2022 BMW. I thought we saved the car from the failed VANOS problem. Car ran strong with no problems. Better than a new car. About a month ago I went to Firestone for a oil change. They screwed up, oil everywhere on everything thing. Had it towed back to them. Next day they said they cleaned everything up and replaced some belts. They accepted full responsibility and acknowledged it was their mistake. I drove about 2 miles and the new belts they put on ripped apart and took off a couple parts of the engine. They asked me to have it towed there again. I had it towed to BMW. Over $5,000 in repairs later I got my car back again. A few days ago I was taking my wife out and the car shut down while we were driving. Now I need a new engine. I'm not saying this is from the VANOS problem but it's either that or the faulty oil change that caused my engine to seize. And Firestone said they are not paying this time.
      05-25-2022, 04:20 AM   #32
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMakDaddy View Post
Can you put a 2011 BMW128i Coupe engine in a convertible?
coupe and verts, any BMW will be the same, what match matters there is 2 engine options in 2011 N52 or N51sulev
Appreciate 0