BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I hope so because I get confused. I hear its easier to lose the backend around turns in the snow and the open diff is better in that regard. That LSD provides good “straight line” traction and grip instead. I’d definitely like to loose the white knuckle feeling when driving on the highway in ice storms or snow covered roads but not around city or country roads with tight turns. Thoughts on whether LSD makes sense? I even considered an AWD car but the lightness of the 128i is noticeable over the x-drive cars and I enjoy that too.
In my opinion, the number one thing you do if you intend on driving your car through snow and ice is to put on proper winter tires. To me a LSD is going to do zero if the traction isn't there where it's critical....between the tire and the road surface. I have an extra set of wheels with a set of WS80 tires on them. I've never gotten stuck driving though 5 consecutive winter seasons in the Mid Atlantic.

I got a chuckle one time driving my car through a road circling my local mall. I saw a WRX spinning all 4 tires stuck while I blasted by it with my lowly rear wheel drive car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:51 PM   #24
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Made my 135i the ULTIMATE winter machine!

Parked it in the garage and bought an E90 X-drive.
Appreciate 3
Aceway454.50
Gangplank1540.50
      12-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #25
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
I hope so because I get confused. I hear its easier to lose the backend around turns in the snow and the open diff is better in that regard. That LSD provides good “straight line” traction and grip instead. I’d definitely like to loose the white knuckle feeling when driving on the highway in ice storms or snow covered roads but not around city or country roads with tight turns. Thoughts on whether LSD makes sense? I even considered an AWD car but the lightness of the 128i is noticeable over the x-drive cars and I enjoy that too.
In my opinion, the number one thing you do if you intend on driving your car through snow and ice is to put on proper winter tires. To me a LSD is going to do zero if the traction isn't there where it's critical....between the tire and the road surface. I have an extra set of wheels with a set of WS80 tires on them. I've never gotten stuck driving though 5 consecutive winter seasons in the Mid Atlantic.

I got a chuckle one time driving my car through a road circling my local mall. I saw a WRX spinning all 4 tires stuck while I blasted by it with my lowly rear wheel drive car.
Agreed. Did that first winter I owned the car about 12 years ago. And on my second set of winters. And practicing continuous improvement in my driving skills. Just progressing through learning what the next steps available are at this point. Tried looking into AWD but not going to change my car or get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 01:22 AM   #26
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
I hope so because I get confused. I hear its easier to lose the backend around turns in the snow and the open diff is better in that regard. That LSD provides good "straight line" traction and grip instead. I'd definitely like to loose the white knuckle feeling when driving on the highway in ice storms or snow covered roads but not around city or country roads with tight turns. Thoughts on whether LSD makes sense? I even considered an AWD car but the lightness of the 128i is noticeable over the x-drive cars and I enjoy that too.

Prolly driving on summer tires, and/or overinflated. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 01:32 AM   #27
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

Ditto. When I was working and driving 100+ miles/day, I parked my 3 Bmws in the garage and equipped my 99 Rolla w/ studded snows (went to studs after I did a 180 on the Interstate). However, I did have a set of winter wheels/tires for each BMW in case the Zombie Apocalypse reared its ugly head & I had to choose one of them as my escape vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 02:14 AM   #28
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

I bought a Tiguan, 4motion.
Haven't had enough snow to challenge it or been on the ice with it yet. But you know I'll put it though some work.

And far as I'm aware, I still have the ultimate 135i snow machine.
Appreciate 0