BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #1
aznbo187
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZCP AW M3

Rear sway bar guidance

I'm still working on getting the 128 track ready, but next on the list is rear subframe bushings.

128 base didn't come with any rear bar at all and I haven't played with sway bars in general in dialing in the car so I'm pretty new here. I'd like to get a rear bar in there with the rear subframe install.

Is there a general starting point? I have yet to track the 1 so I'm not sure what the natural tendency is that the car wants to do. Should I start with a M3 bar and adjust from there, or go with something else?

Mainly will be doing road course, not much auto-x.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:22 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I'll only suggest doing them in pairs / as a combo. Just one on its own may throw things off. The front is super easy to swap.

There are some pretty good threads of discussion here.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:27 AM   #3
wootloops
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

It's largely going to depend on how stiff your springs are and what front bar you are running. Some track guys actually don't run a rear bar at all.

If you do add a bar I probably would start out with the m3 bars, and as tracer bullet said I would do it in pair with a front M3 bar (possibly a front E93 M3 bar since it's supposedly the stiffest of the stock bars). Then track the car a bit and see how it feels.

For comparison I am running stock base 128 front sway bar with 8k/16k F/R coilover spring rates and I think the car feels pretty good/neutral but I also am probably not driving the car at the limit enough. It seems like it might have just a tad of push mid corner but it's very little. A friend of mine has a e92 328 and he runs stock M3 sway bars front & rear but with M Performance suspension which is not very stiff (I think it's somewhat comparable to stock M3 spring rates)