BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #23
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Hello everyone and happy holiday season!

The car is finally registered and titled and is now fully ours! Got up nice and early to wait in line for the title store, first morning under 40 degrees so was nice and bundled up while we waited

Also, we took the car to our BMW dealership to get the window adjusted along with get the complimentary inspection video which was nice to see what was going on underneath

so here's what we got going on:

-gaskets
All the usual ones are leaking... of course lol. Oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, and oil pan gasket. Unfortunately, the previous owner said he did the OFHG relatively recently, so a poor install is what I expect.

-tires
front tires are getting quite worn and needing to be replaced, already knew this and will be done soon

-front end links
driver side one was looking quite worn and a little grease coming out on the passenger side one. Luckily this is quite easy to do so I will be doing that myself

So overall, the car is in good condition, just sucks that we have all the common leaks, so I will also take a look at the belt and try doing the crank hub upgrade done soon too. Since we're heading up to Dallas to be with family these next couple of weeks, I'll be looking for a shop up there. I was recommended Mporium by one of my close friends so I will reach out to them. If you have any other recommendations in the north Dallas area, it would be greatly appreciated!
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #24
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
the previous owner said he did the OFHG relatively recently, so a poor install is what I expect.
Possibly, but also maybe just didn't clean up all of the oil from the earlier leak and so it still looks like it's coming out?

That one could lead to belt and bigger issues. Valve cover is worthwhile, combo it with plugs and coils someday, you could consider DIY on it. Oil pan... I'd consider just parking over a piece of cardboard and ignoring it (within reason, of course).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #25
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Possibly, but also maybe just didn't clean up all of the oil from the earlier leak and so it still looks like it's coming out?

That one could lead to belt and bigger issues. Valve cover is worthwhile, combo it with plugs and coils someday, you could consider DIY on it. Oil pan... I'd consider just parking over a piece of cardboard and ignoring it (within reason, of course).
That was my thoughts too. Just picked up the car and spoke with the advisor, the valve cover is an asap job and unfortunately i don't know if I can or should do the valve cover, so I've reached out to a few shops around north Dallas in my area for quotes on the job. His recommendation was to just do the valve cover gasket along with a steam clean and drive around for a bit. If it looks like the oil is still coming out (since it is all covered in a grime and grease) then oil pan should be replaced.

I know the ofhg is easy and I don't think I mind doing that, so I will go ahead and start putting the cart together on fcp

coolant, ofhg gasket, and end links so far.
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #26
apexwerks
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, E46 M3, Mk7 TDI Wagn

Quote:

Ditto from me... I did the oil pan gasket just because I had the time and the tools, but it doesn't really do any harm the way a leaking VCG does. Get the top of the engine squared away and park over some cardboard.
Appreciate 1
djacinto343.00
      12-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #27
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Alright well after some conversing with tracer, I'll be doing the valve cover gasket and ofhg (hopefully) with a friend who owns an e90 n52 and will be in town with me. He and I went to high school together and have worked on each other's projects many times, will just be more fun scraping knuckles with a friend instead of alone

Parts are ordered, added a couple things like another oil change with engine flush and ceratec (might as well at this point), cabin air filter, and plugs if they end up looking bad when we're in there

Also, think we've decided on the Continental dws 06 plus (225/45/17) and we'll probably do that when we're back home and have time to set an alignment aside too.

I'm planning on doing this a little after Christmas since I'll be all over the place with family and girlfriend's as well.
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #28
apexwerks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Alright well after some conversing with tracer, I'll be doing the valve cover gasket and ofhg (hopefully) with a friend who owns an e90 n52 and will be in town with me. He and I went to high school together and have worked on each other's projects many times, will just be more fun scraping knuckles with a friend instead of alone

Parts are ordered, added a couple things like another oil change with engine flush and ceratec (might as well at this point), cabin air filter, and plugs if they end up looking bad when we're in there

Also, think we've decided on the Continental dws 06 plus (225/45/17) and we'll probably do that when we're back home and have time to set an alignment aside too.

I'm planning on doing this a little after Christmas since I'll be all over the place with family and girlfriend's as well.
Awesome! It's a fun job. My recommendation is to pull the windshield wipers and the windshield cowl. It makes getting the cover on and off 100x easier. I burned at least an hour and a gasket fighting to get the back corner seated. It was easy as pie with the cowl off.

OFHG is a 30 minute job.
Appreciate 2
      12-21-2021, 07:46 PM   #29
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexwerks View Post
Quote:

Awesome! It's a fun job. My recommendation is to pull the windshield wipers and the windshield cowl. It makes getting the cover on and off 100x easier. I burned at least an hour and a gasket fighting to get the back corner seated. It was easy as pie with the cowl off.

OFHG is a 30 minute job.
Definitely wasn't scared of the ofhg, but a little nervous about the valve cover. I'll keep that in mind, thank you! Need to replace the wipers too…

Lol literally just did my 50k mile maintenance on my f32 and this is all the same. I'll never leave BMW
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 04:22 AM   #30
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Blank

Try the reset process linked in the thread you linked. This one

Let's reset the windows limits https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224511
      12-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #31
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

I didn't see the image of the window, but you HAVE to do the rubber hose insert.

I used a gas line hose I found in a parts store, much easier to find than the aquarium one.

Works like a charm. It's been there for 4 years now, no issues.
Appreciate 1
djacinto343.00
      12-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #32
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Alright so we made it to Dallas, and guess what: engine oil low warning :/

I am very glad we were able to make it home safely but now it's being extremely careful with the car as we just drove the car 1500 miles from LA and another 230 to Dallas, I need to ensure everything is in tip top shape before we leave for home in a couple of weeks.

Parts will be here between the 27-29th and my friend and I plan on doing the projects at my girlfriend's house. since everything was planning on being done curbside anyways, the only difference will be making sure we have all the tools lol

Makes me mad that the previous owner didn't know or just lied and didn't tell us, but that's also on me for not looking or asking. Regardless, what's done is done and we are going to make this car right since we plan on keeping it for a long time, so we'll do the job right

As for the oil pan, I am hoping it was just the valve cover leaking so much it made it look like the pan was too, but if it indeed needs to be replaced, I will just take it to a shop since I don't have the right setup to do so at the moment.

Thank you all for helping out, and hope to write back with good news soon
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #33
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
End links have been replaced. Old ones had a lot of play so I'm glad we replaced them

Ofhg does not seem to be leaking. after the service tech cleaned off the housing and we drove to Dallas, the housing is still very clean, leading me to believe the valve cover must've leaked on it or something. However, we still have the replacement gasket and what not so if we do need to replace it, we will

I also broke the radiator drain pipe lol. Used the quarter to loosen but it ended up being too tight in there, new one has been ordered and should be here today

We were planing on doing valve cover today as well but it rained so we said hell no and are going to do it tomorrow and finish on Friday if need be

Things are going smoothly otherwise and I appreciate everyone's assistance in getting us through it all. Hope to have fun updates soon
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #34
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Also, think we've decided on the Continental dws 06 plus (225/45/17)
You'll love the Conti's: I've got them on all 3 of my cars right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #35
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

If you're still looking for a shop, I used Ultimate Bimmer Service in Addison for an alignment. I prefer to do all my own maintenance, but what I saw of their shop looked promising.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 12-30-2021 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
djacinto343.00
      12-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #36
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quick update: got through half the valve cover before my buddy had to go

Man is that shit tight. It was so difficult to get out!

The back breather hose or whatever it's called seemed to have fallen off but it looks like any old super glue should work to keep it in place. Old gasket definitely had some cracks in it and the other seals gaskets were quite hard and brittle. Cleaned up the rest of the cover and laid it for us to come back to tomorrow

Couple questions:
-what can I use to keep the head gasket in place?
-what are your best tips to put the cover back on without it catching onto anything?

Fresh oil change, coolant and bleed procedure, and we'll be good to go!
Attached Images

Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 10:08 AM   #37
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
After two days and lots of delays due to rain, the valve cover gasket is finally on.

As both 2008e92328i and I found out, the e82 chassis is tight as hell! But just as fun to see on the road. This was a big pain in the ass but I'm glad I was able to do it

Some fun things I noted
-don't lose your suppression band nut! Lost that thing cause I was cleaning it off and all the stores around me were out of stock lol

-be careful with the stupid clips around the fuel injector wire harness. I know they're redundant but I don't like losing things

-Watch out for the o2 sensor wires in the back, I got mine pinched by that back left bolt, not in the gasket luckily but it was a hassle to get out

-extensions. You need to have every extension ever made: wobble, adapters, bendy ones, the whole 9 if you don't wanna lose your sanity at all the twists and turns you have to make

-check your work 3x over. I did the coolant bleed procedure twice, unplugged and plugged every connection, checked torques etc to ensure there was little room for error.

-car will need to re-learn and re-adjust. Some guides mention it but if you're not aware, the car will need to relearn the valvetronic limits and I'm sure there are other things after that many connections are pulled. The car will be running rough for the first startup, there could be smoke from oil dripping, pb blaster or brake cleaner. Know those smells! If it continues after the 3rd drive, there may be a leak

After roughly 8 total hours of work I can confidently say this is a great DIY for those trying to up their mechanical knowledge as this will make you really think about how to adapt and put things in your mind together. Big engine, small space makes for creative thinking

We leave tomorrow for Austin and I'm feeling much better about the drive home. Happy New Year everyone
Remember: smiles per gallon >miles per gallon
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2022, 11:15 PM   #38
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Made it home and the car is running excellent. No leaks as far as i can tell, but I'll take a deeper dive soon once weather warms up a bit. This Texas cold front is giving me ptsd to last year!

As for next steps, I think the oil pan will be closer inspected as the service tech did say he
suspects leaking but I couldn't tell with how much the valve cover was leaking. I sprayed as much down with brake cleaner underneath with the belly pan off and hopefully that will help give a better indicator as to if the leak is active and how quickly

Suspension wise the car is tight and well put together. The control arms seem fine, front sway bar bushings look a touch dry and worn but not bad yet. I'll take closer looks into those as well as doing the m3 control arm upgrades is the route we'll take for sure!

I noticed the coils seem to be a little mismatched based on manufacture date too, 4 said 2014, with one saying 2013 and the last 2016. Two had discoloration as well. Plugs visually seemed fine with no oil in the wells however I have not taken them out to inspect further.

Some other fluid changes will be necessary: diff, power steering and brake. It's been at least 2 for the brake and I'm unsure about the other two so I'll just be safe and go ahead and do it.

I used redline's gl-5 for my f32 xdrive, is this a good oil to use on these car's diffs? What do y'all use

As for brake fluid I'll just be doing a pentosin super dot 4 flush since I've had good experience with that as well

Lastly, tires! As mentioned previously, the front tires are worn and have a decent bit of dry rot on the insides, plus all the tires are super narrow (205/50/17)! The new tires will be purchased soon with an alignment that's well overdue
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #39
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

FYI I think the control arms need to be tightened with the car on its wheels to load the suspension? I could be wrong, it could be some other item(s) that are that way. Something to check into if you did the work on jacks.
Appreciate 1
djacinto343.00
      01-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #40
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI I think the control arms need to be tightened with the car on its wheels to load the suspension? I could be wrong, it could be some other item(s) that are that way. Something to check into if you did the work on jacks.
Yes, they do, thanks! It's a good reminder. Haven't done them yet but when messing with those types of bushings it has to be done at ride height. Best way without a lift is to just jack up the knuckle carrier until you see the slightest weight shift from jack stands to the floor jack
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #41
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Ok parts are here, I'll be tackling this job this weekend! I'm following this guide for the power steering flush.

I have a motive bleeder for brakes since I had that from my other car, and then a fluid transfer tool for the diff fluid.

Sparks and coils are also being replaced, previous owner said all 6 coils were replaced a couple years ago but after looking at them, 2 were mismatched and of different years themselves. Car runs fine but it's peace of mind.

We've decided to wait for the warmer weather for the tires, when I swap my other set back on so we do everything at once. Plus, the rear tires are still fairly new and have decent tread on them, fronts too but the dry rot is a tad concerning, hence why we're replacing.
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #42
apexwerks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok parts are here, I'll be tackling this job this weekend! I'm following this guide for the power steering flush.

I have a motive bleeder for brakes since I had that from my other car, and then a fluid transfer tool for the diff fluid.

Sparks and coils are also being replaced, previous owner said all 6 coils were replaced a couple years ago but after looking at them, 2 were mismatched and of different years themselves. Car runs fine but it's peace of mind.

We've decided to wait for the warmer weather for the tires, when I swap my other set back on so we do everything at once. Plus, the rear tires are still fairly new and have decent tread on them, fronts too but the dry rot is a tad concerning, hence why we're replacing.
How'd it go? Did you notice any change after the power steering fluid flush, or was that just proactive/preventative?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:12 AM   #43
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexwerks View Post
Quote:

How'd it go? Did you notice any change after the power steering fluid flush, or was that just proactive/preventative?
Lol haven't been able to get to it with the freeze warnings here in Texas! It's too goddamn cold!!

I do think it's in need of this flush so I am hoping it makes a difference. Can't say for sure yet but will update ASAP once the jobs are done
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #44
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I didn't notice any change after my PS flush, but the fluid that was in there was definitely old. I ended up with two big bottles of Pentosin and I went through both flushing out the system. I never got completely clear fluid, even with two bottles, but it was most definitely better.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0