BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #45
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

We all do in fact know that. I still want to know why you think that is a rip off for someone who intentionally doesn't want the slightly extra rear seat space. Its like you "warning" us that a black car costs the same as a white one. I don't get it.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #46
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapalan View Post
If I borrow 35k at .9% and invest 35k in a 5 year FDIC insured CD for 3.5% guess how much more money I'll have at the end of the 5 years ?
Wow... Once you factor in inflation and capital gains, you'll end up losing money. Thanks, but no thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #47
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135

Not sure who to respond to 1st lol. Besides paying more which some people don't care the 3 is greater than 1 in value it has everything the 1 has plus

1. Electric seats standard on the 3 ..$1000 option on the 1
2. logic 7 not even an option on the 1
3. Ambient side lighting not an option one the 1

Someone else that's more knowledgeable may be able to point out more differences but its not a matter of Black vs white.

Ibeam: I like your attempt you'll have to remember that the 35k you gave away isn't earning anything. Paying taxes on earnings is not a bad thing, it means that your money is working for you. So no you don't end up losing money, you'll end up earning money. And that 1,500 in interest was high it assumed you'd never paid down any interest which isn't the case in an amortized loan. Just FYI the true cost on a 35k .9% 5 year loan is $806.52 to be exact.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #48
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

If i may toss in my 2cents here, the last great 3 series E36 rolled off the assembly line back in 2000. Now, back to your regular programing schedule
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #49
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not sure who to respond to 1st lol. Besides paying more which some people don't care the 3 is greater than 1 in value it has everything the 1 has plus

1. Electric seats standard on the 3 ..$1000 option on the 1
2. logic 7 not even an option on the 1
3. Ambient side lighting not an option one the 1

Someone else that's more knowledgeable may be able to point out more differences but its not a matter of Black vs white.

Ibeam: I like your attempt you'll have to remember that the 35k you gave away isn't earning anything. Paying taxes on earnings is not a bad thing, it means that your money is working for you. So no you don't end up losing money, you'll end up earning money. And that 1,500 in interest was high it assumed you'd never paid down any interest which isn't the case in an amortized loan. Just FYI the true cost on a 35k .9% 5 year loan is $806.52 to be exact.

1. Electric seats were part of my price equation on the1. Without them the 1 costs that much less. That makes it a wash.

2. Logic 7 = Premium HiFi on the 1 Same system with possibly 1 lack of center speaker.

3. Ambient side lighting. haha come on now.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #50
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

really now if i wanted a 3 guess what i would have gotten a 3 i can afford it it was 10 grand more but i still could afford it. But you know what i didn't want a 3 i wanted the faster, more nimble, 1. Really what your saying is i can have this really good looking girl she has got a nice face but shes kinda fat in the long run she will be cheaper to have because she wont require so much attention, while on the other hand i can have a super gorgeous arm candy of a woman but she will be more upkeep and more expensive. Seriously this argument is pointless and stupid if you like the 3 than good on you but why come on here where we all obviously love our 1's and bash the hell out of them. Have you even driven one? Its like saying well jee i could have a carrera 4s for x amount why would i pay more for the carrera turbo? Or why would i pay more for a gt3 rs over a regular gt3? Simple we like our cars and we are performance enthusiasts who enjoy life and enjoy driving. Go enjoy your honda man while i pass you in my modded 135...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #51
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, you're not exactly giving 35k away. A 135i has some value, although you can forever debate just how much. A 335 might arguably be a better buy, but it might not be a better value depending upon what you want in a car. Likewise investing the money might be a better use of the money, but for some the ROI just isn't worth it. It's a personal choice with a lot of variables and some intangibles, too.

Funny, but I was just reading how the head of AIG was unhappy with a 15% profit back in the 80's and thus launched the start of the massive and arcane credit swaps that's ultimately doomed the company. Frankly I would be thrilled with 15% right now, yet it wasn't enough for AIG. I believe that it was Carnegie that when asked "How much is enough?” replied "Just a little bit more."

Anyway, enjoy the drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #52
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ibeam how is FDIC insured cd that earns more than what you borrow "not worth it" Its backed by the government and considered "risk free" in the investment world.

And no at 35k the 1 series does not include electric seats matter of fact 35k isn't even MSRP lol its just a number for the sake of argumnt. Compare base MSRP with base MSRP to keep things simple
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #53
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Due to the bad economy a 1 and the 3 are even money. We know this. A fully optioned 1 is superior to a fully optioned 3 because the 1 has an electronic rear diff while the 3 has an open diff with no computer LSD. Tell me again what I am missing here, sounds like the 1 wins.

A base 1 and a base 3 are different of course but no one buys a zero options car. I think you would find that due to the current funny financing situation people will be cross shopping their loaded 1 to a loaded 3. I know I did.

The only thing standard on the 3 but not on the 1 that I can think of off hand is the power seats.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #54
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep

That's a Grand option ...so my point increases from 5k to 6k..how much more are you willing to pay for the 1?? ..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #55
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ibeam how is FDIC insured cd that earns more than what you borrow "not worth it" Its backed by the government and considered "risk free" in the investment world.
Please look up inflation. Generally a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow (unless deflation occurs, which is very rare). Unless the CD Rate is high enough to offset inflation, there are other things I would rather do with the money. Of course YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #56
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep

1st off we're in a deflationary period right now. 2nd Inflation works for goods you purchase in the future but you've already made the purchase with the car so .9% vs 3% over a 5 year period nets you 2.1% each year compounded that you would not have had otherwise. Please look up investing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #57
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a Grand option ...so my point increases from 5k to 6k..how much more are you willing to pay for the 1?? ..
I am not paying more for the 1. The 3 is just heavily discounted. I am paying even money and getting:

A better looking car.
A smaller car.
Better wheels.
eLSD.
MWheel + MShifter

Tell me where I am wrong. Seriously.

On what planet am I paying more for a 1 than I am for a 3? What you are saying makes zero sense. The math doesn't lie. The higher price on a 3 with the same options as my 1 washes out due to the low interest rates. If you want to make a case that my car will have a lower residual I would be willing to entertain that as it may be true. However, in 100,000 miles neither car will be worth too much.

Also, your entire post history is in this thread and the last few have been demeaning to actual members (which you do not seem to be). I would like to see a moderator close this thread and delete your account as you seem to be a troll.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #58
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT II View Post
A fully optioned 1 is superior to a fully optioned 3 because the 1 has an electronic rear diff while the 3 has an open diff with no computer LSD. Tell me again what I am missing here, sounds like the 1 wins.
That is probably the weakest argument. The e-diff and LSD should not even be mentioned in the same sentence Drive a car with a REAL LSD in the rear vs the so called e-diff in the 1-series and I will guarantee you will agree with me
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:19 AM   #59
Chapalan
Enlisted Member
Rep

1st I'm not trolling 2nd I'm trying to help people from throwing away 6k for those who have a 700 credit score and above. BMW will have .9% financing on the 1 its just a matter of time. The topic of the thread was 335 is cheaper to buy than a 135. If you knew this already why did you even click into the thread or even bother posting and wasting your time. I love the 1, but I'm not paying 6k more for it and I don't think other people should either. Take that 6k and go on a trip, give to the poor somethin more productive ..but this is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #60
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post
That is probably the weakest argument. The e-diff and LSD should not even be mentioned in the same sentence Drive a car with a REAL LSD in the rear vs the so called e-diff in the 1-series and I will guarantee you will agree with me

Hey it is a feature the 1 has over the 3 along with the ones I brought up above you. Yea I know its just the computer playing games with the rear brakes. However, this guy keeps yelling that we are paying more for a 1 than a 3 and I just wanted to throw something out there.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #61
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1st I'm not trolling 2nd I'm trying to help people from throwing away 6k for those who have a 700 credit score and above. BMW will have .9% financing on the 1 its just a matter of time. The topic of the thread was 335 is cheaper to buy than a 135. If you knew this already why did you even click into the thread or even bother posting and wasting your time. I love the 1, but I'm not paying 6k more for it and I don't think other people should either. Take that 6k and go on a trip, give to the poor somethin more productive ..but this is just my opinion.

Ok, maybe I was harsh but how is the 335i spec-ed the way I spec-ed my 1 cheaper? Its not; it is the same amount of money.

Your argument hinges on the made up notion that both cars can be had for the same price and that financing makes the 3 cheaper. Show me how that works. To get the same price out the door on the 3 you would need to delete options. If you option them both the same the 1 is generally 3-6k cheaper which evens out with the financing. I have said this a million times on here.

You should have stuck to your guns and said that if you wait BMWFS will offer .09% financing on the 1 series as well. Then it would be once again cheaper than a 3 vs. being the same cost now. You may be correct but I have my doubts as we have stated before. It is just not a bread and butter car. It is the same reason that GM doesn't do the red tag price on the actual models that people like us want to buy.

However, I could be wrong and if you limit your argument to the cheap paper coming down to the 1 I cant fault you really. Its my guess against yours.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #62
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
I do have a finance lesson for "Mastamind"blah blah blah...
I appreciate the intent of your "lesson", but since .9% wasn't available during the time of my purchase, your logic doesn't apply to my situation. Regardless, the difference in money earned, IMO, wouldn't be enough to offset the fact that I would be obligated to pay a much higher amount monthly, especially since the earnings in your example would be in line with inflation.

I pretty much agree with what ibeam81 has stated, so no need to restate the argument.

And for the record, the American way, unfortunately, is to finance everything...not that I agree with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #63
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
1st I'm not trolling 2nd I'm trying to help people from throwing away 6k for those who have a 700 credit score and above. BMW will have .9% financing on the 1 its just a matter of time.
You are trolling by coming into a message board dedicated to one particular model series car and questioning everyones motives for buying it. If we followed your advice, we should have all put our $35k-40k into an investment vehicle and take public transit since the purchase of a 335i isn't exactly an appreciating investment either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapalan
The topic of the thread was 335 is cheaper to buy than a 135. If you knew this already why did you even click into the thread or even bother posting and wasting your time. I love the 1, but I'm not paying 6k more for it and I don't think other people should either.
Good for you, now stop being a hypocrite and sell your S2000 for a Honda Accord V6 coupe, since that offers so much more value for the dollar with Amenities at about the same price point as an S2000. Oh wait, with the economy as bad as it is, you should sell your S2000, cut your losses and put that money into an interest bearing account!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapalan
Take that 6k and go on a trip, give to the poor somethin more productive ..but this is just my opinion.
Just ridiculous. Opinion noted.I'm done feeding trolls.
      12-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #64
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT II View Post
Your argument hinges on the made up notion that both cars can be had for the same price and that financing makes the 3 cheaper. Show me how that works. To get the same price out the door on the 3 you would need to delete options.
And to get the same level of options, you'd have to ADD certain options which are standard:

135i -- must add power seats (+905) (std in 335i)
335i sedan -- must add - fold down rear seats (+430), sport suspension (requires sport package, +1955) (standard in 135i)

Not to mention -- this thread appears to be predicated on the idea that no down payment or some de minimis down payment is made. For those of us who are making a significant down payment or paying cash, or taking significantly less than 60 months to pay off the note, I suspect that the point is moot -- 135i is still less expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #65
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't think you are trolling since you are on subject...
So what I am wondering is this, is that APR that BMW is offering with compounded interest or not? Monthly? Yearly? Length of term? Take into account the $1200 increase of the '09 vs. '08?
I am not sniping just curious as I am horrible at the mathematics behind it and the information out there is obtuse and confusing (I am referencing ANY explanation of APR and how it TRULY effects the consumer):iono:. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #66
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
BTW guys all he was saying in his original post is that those of you ABOUT to order should maybe wait a bit longer and see if BMW will offer the 0.9% financing....there is no denying that it would save you money in the long run. The 335i is just being used in comparison...he is NOT trying to convince us to buy a 3er instead....read people, read.....
Appreciate 0