BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

1M side mirrors >e92 M3 mirrors

I ran into one thread there was mixed answers, does anyone have a solid answer does it change depending on the year..

i just purchased 2 1M side mirrors as well as the entire front end for my 135 and i want to purchase the m3 mirror caps and glass since it appears to cost much less but not totally sure they will fit ?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
I ran into one bread there was mixed answers, does anyone have a solid answer does it change depending on the year..

i just purchased 2 1M side mirrors as well as the nteire front end for my 135 and i want to ourchase the m3 mirror caps and glass aince it appears to cost much less but not totally sure they will fit
They're all the same.
      06-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
I ran into one bread there was mixed answers, does anyone have a solid answer does it change depending on the year..

i just purchased 2 1M side mirrors as well as the nteire front end for my 135 and i want to ourchase the m3 mirror caps and glass aince it appears to cost much less but not totally sure they will fit
Mirror side parts, wiring, coding and folding engine are equal, just the attachment triangle for the E82 differs from the E92 version.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Quote:

Mirror side parts, wiring, coding and folding engine are equal, just the attachment triangle for the E82 differs from the E92 version.
Wait does it really?

Would it be feasible to buy E92 mirrors and use the existing triangle on our doors?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Wait does it really?

Would it be feasible to buy E92 mirrors and use the existing triangle on our doors?
For example ExtExterior mirror, no lens, 51168051923 on RealOEM is exclusive to E81, E82 and E88
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Wait does it really?

Speaking from first hand experience. I purchased a set of e92 mirrors for my 135i. Eeghie is correct in that the e92 triangle / base is different. Most importantly the 3 mounting posts are in different locations then the e82. I took a long hard look at swapping the bases and concluded it would just be too difficult and too much a risk

I can't confirm anything about e90 compatibility.

As for the caps, I purchased 1m mirrors and m3 caps and they fit fine.

The other big difference in the features. There is analog (no auto dip or dimming) and DIN (auto dip and dimming). Analog is 5 pin and DIN is 3. Analog will not work on a DIN car, the mirrors will both adjust to full up and be completely uncontrollable.

As for the mirror glass, First hand experience again, these are also NOT interchangeable between DIN and non DIN. The connectors on the back of the glass are 4 wires vs 2. Unfortunately, the difference in price between the 2 is a couple hundred dollars, per glass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      07-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
S4Sprint
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

So does this mean that there is no way to incorporate a DIN mirror onto a 1M with non DIN wiring? Are we sure there are no spare/hidden wires to allow the appropriate connections? Then we need to worry about the control modules. Anyway I for one would love to have dimming side view mirrors since my car does not have them today.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
Quote:
Wait does it really?

Speaking from first hand experience. I purchased a set of e92 mirrors for my 135i. Eeghie is correct in that the e92 triangle / base is different. Most importantly the 3 mounting posts are in different locations then the e82. I took a long hard look at swapping the bases and concluded it would just be too difficult and too much a risk

I can't confirm anything about e90 compatibility.

As for the caps, I purchased 1m mirrors and m3 caps and they fit fine.

The other big difference in the features. There is analog (no auto dip or dimming) and DIN (auto dip and dimming). Analog is 5 pin and DIN is 3. Analog will not work on a DIN car, the mirrors will both adjust to full up and be completely uncontrollable.

As for the mirror glass, First hand experience again, these are also NOT interchangeable between DIN and non DIN. The connectors on the back of the glass are 4 wires vs 2. Unfortunately, the difference in price between the 2 is a couple hundred dollars, per glass.
would you know why my oem mirrors that were non auto dimming, non autofold, were replaced with 1m mirrors that also are non auto dip and non auto fold are not working on my car when i connect either side mirror it makes my whole driver side switch unfunctional no control over windows or anything for that natter until i unplug the mirror assembly
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Sprint View Post
So does this mean that there is no way to incorporate a DIN mirror onto a 1M with non DIN wiring? Are we sure there are no spare/hidden wires to allow the appropriate connections? Then we need to worry about the control modules. Anyway I for one would love to have dimming side view mirrors since my car does not have them today.
I think, and someone can correct me if they know, that the control modules would need to be changed and reprogrammed also
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
would you know why my oem mirrors that were non auto dimming, non autofold, were replaced with 1m mirrors that also are non auto dip and non auto fold are not working on my car when i connect either side mirror it makes my whole driver side switch unfunctional no control over windows or anything for that natter until i unplug the mirror assembly
This is exactly how my car responded when I installed non-DIN mirrors on my DIN equipped car. I have swapped out 3 sets of DIN mirrors on my car and all three have worked perfect without any need for coding.

Are you sure the parts are correct? Do you have the mirror part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
I think, and someone can correct me if they know, that the control modules would need to be changed and reprogrammed also
With the correct wiring and parts, you need to remove code 431 if present, and add code 313 (just folding) or 430 (including dimming mirrors) to vehicle option list and code the whole car. Doing that will alter the kombi module settings to enable the LIN-bus that enables all the mirror\high features.

Last edited by eeghie; 07-19-2018 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #12
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Sprint View Post
It's possible, but you have to be a diy tiger, or outsource the parts research and coding to your friendly bmw neighbourhood coder (Dealer doesn't know how to do this).

Last edited by eeghie; 07-19-2018 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is exactly how my car responded when I installed non-DIN mirrors on my DIN equipped car. I have swapped out 3 sets of DIN mirrors on my car and all three have worked perfect without any need for coding.

Are you sure the parts are correct? Do you have the mirror part numbers?
1m mirrors i purchased part# 51168051913/4 (L/R).

my oem 135i mirrors have 3 pins and these 1m ones have 5 pins??

reading what you stated earlier about analog vs din... but i just dont get it because my oem 3 pin mirrors are plane jane they dont dim fold or nothing but yet they got 3 pins.....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #14
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:

reading what you stated earlier about analog vs din... but i just dont get it because my oem 3 pin mirrors are plane jane they dont dim fold or nothing but yet they got 3 pins.....
3 pins conduct continous power and digital control signal(LIN-bus), the drive signal for mirror adjust are produced locally inside the mirror. The 5 pins conduct analog drive signals for the mirror adjust motors, and heat. The analog signal originates from the mirror adjust switch in the door.

Without vehicle option code 313 or 430 in your vehicle options list you have 5 pins, with you have 3 pins.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #15
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
3 pins conduct continous power and digital control signal(LIN-bus), the drive signal for mirror adjust are produced locally inside the mirror. The 5 pins conduct analog drive signals for the mirror adjust motors, and heat. The analog signal originates from the mirror adjust switch in the door.

Without vehicle option code 313 or 430 in your vehicle options list you have 5 pins, with you have 3 pins.
3 pins = S43OA yes, means your car is DIN, eeghie is right on, you need PN
51168051923/24

will also need DIN mirror glass 51168041953/54
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #16
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

3 pins = S43OA yes, means your car is DIN, eeghie is right on, you need PN
51168051923/24

will also need DIN mirror glass 51168041953/54
if i were to get these would these mirrors include auto fold and auto dim ? I already have the auto fold switch so i am assuming with some coding maybe it can be done..

I might just stick to manually moving my mirrors i already have the 300plus expensive mirror lenses i got for free which was a blessing from a totaled m3 so all i need is the 510 dollar units instead of the bargain 285 dollar ones i dont think its worth the upgrade for me 1800 dollars a mirror assmbly with glass and cover is way to much for an m mirror set
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #17
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
if i were to get these would these mirrors include auto fold and auto dim ? I already have the auto fold switch so i am assuming with some coding maybe it can be done..

I might just stick to manually moving my mirrors i already have the 300plus expensive mirror lenses i got for free which was a blessing from a totaled m3 so all i need is the 510 dollar units instead of the bargain 285 dollar ones i dont think its worth the upgrade for me 1800 dollars a mirror assmbly with glass and cover is way to much for an m mirror set
Do yours fold when you press the button on the door handle?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #18
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do yours fold when you press the button on the door handle?
no they dont
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #19
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
no they dont
Odd

You should look a VIN lookup to see what features you have, will tell you if your car has S430A. That will confirm everything
Appreciate 0