BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #67
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Try updating the Daten files before you try again.

I know the Daten files are backwards compatible but it may not work the other way around if your car is running updated software.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #68
YarkoDrives
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is 98FS, 128i, 335xi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
If you pop the pins for the DSC/ABS connection to the DME all the nannies will be defeated as the DSC module ceases to do anything. That's how the shop preps their racecars to have ABS only. No coding necessary other than to turn off the lights on the dash. They'll be doing this to my car before it leaves the shop. FYI
have you had this done yet? Is this on an N55? What shop?

I like the idea, but after some testingI doubt it would work without a piggyback ecu.

the DSC/ABS connection to the DME is not a simple connection between the two modules. they are both on the PT-Can bus (PT= Powertrain) with other modules like the combi-dash, HVAC controller, starter controller, etc.

Today I tested some:

disconnecting the ABS/DSC from the PT-Can bus:
a. no speedometer, as there is no wheel speed data from the DSC to the combi
b. lots of warning lights
1. air bag - air bag is dependant on speed/accelrometer data from DSC
2. service - yeah I know something is out of sorts
3. DSC inactive - yeah that's a desired state
4. ABS - Red light - not true, the ABS works fine, but the combi cannot see the module.

c. wipers run constantly- just in case you didn't notice all the lights this will encourage you to go to a dealership or pull the wiper fuse.

d. rev limit around 4500 to 4800 - maybe this is the combi assuming the car is in 6th gear, as there's no speed data to calculate the gear with, and enforcing the top speed limit regardless of the actual gear. Can the top speed limit be coded off?

e. there was however no problem making boost, and the car behaved like an open diff. abs was fine.

Then for an additional test I tried the other side, which is disconnecting the PT-can from the engine. This was no good:
a: no tach or oil temp on the combi
b. no boost -- ? limp or lack of data from? - the boost controlled directly by DME or by another module.
c. starter runs for full 3 seconds, even after engine is running.
d. fan runs on full high - without engine data, assumes it is hot hot
e. AC compressor runs on minimum output, without data assumes it is high rpm.
f. still rev limit around 4500, not sure eaxctly as I have no tach, but I cannot get up to highway speed of 55mph in second gear.

I don't think most of these are issues that can be coded away, as they are mostly caused by lack of data between modules on the PT-bus.

It would be cool if they could be, again let me know the shop.

There may be a sweet spot to splitting the PT-can in to two, where the DSC and the engine are isolated, and the engine has access to the modules it needs, while the DSC is alone.

obviously a piggyback tune could avoid some of the issues.

I'm curious what that shop is doing, and if it is on N55's. Let me know I'd like to believe.

Last edited by YarkoDrives; 07-06-2016 at 01:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 01:55 AM   #69
YarkoDrives
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is 98FS, 128i, 335xi,

A little more development today with the Can bus isolation and the ABS module.

Reviewing Diagrams the ABS is on both the PT-Can and the Chassis Can (F-Can IIRCC).

PT-Can = twisted pair Red & Red/Blue
F-Can =twisted pair Yellow & Yellow/Brown

Disconnecting the F-Can from the ABS resulted in the same 4800 RPM rev limit but kept the speedometer reading on the kombi. But otherwise all the desire effects retain inherit abs, without any traction or e diff electoronic programs.

what's interesting is that for the speedo, the wheel speed goes from the ABS wheel speed sensor to the DME over PT can and then the DME sends it over F-Can for the Kombi display. -I had assumed that the ABS would be sending the speed directly to to kombi over f- can.

FYI: the DME, KOMBI(Chassis) and DSC(ABS) are the three programmable
modules in the car.

My cohort believes that the kombi is a display-only unit and that it doesn't effect any traction or dme restrictions. having the abs send data to the dme and not directly to the kombi supports this design theory.

He suggest that the only programs active in the kombi-display-dash are purely informational such as the 'when to shift for efficient dynamics' or ' what gear the car is in' and that any restrictive 'management' programs must be operating in either the ABS module or the DME.

Can anyone confirm that the Chassis/Kombi does not perform any restrictions on the DME/ ABS?

Also Wondering if disconnecting the ABS from both the PT-can and the chassis Can will result in no rev limit. ie the rev limit is coming from the ABS module and not a program on the DME.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #70
AlexR6
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

I have the answer... do you want to exclude every DSC intervention but the ABS?
Deflate a tire, let TPMS light turn on and then don't reset the system.... everything goes off but ABS

At least this works with euro TPMS (indirect version)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #71
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarkoDrives View Post
A little more development today with the Can bus isolation and the ABS module.

Reviewing Diagrams the ABS is on both the PT-Can and the Chassis Can (F-Can IIRCC).

PT-Can = twisted pair Red & Red/Blue
F-Can =twisted pair Yellow & Yellow/Brown

Disconnecting the F-Can from the ABS resulted in the same 4800 RPM rev limit but kept the speedometer reading on the kombi. But otherwise all the desire effects retain inherit abs, without any traction or e diff electoronic programs.

what's interesting is that for the speedo, the wheel speed goes from the ABS wheel speed sensor to the DME over PT can and then the DME sends it over F-Can for the Kombi display. -I had assumed that the ABS would be sending the speed directly to to kombi over f- can.

FYI: the DME, KOMBI(Chassis) and DSC(ABS) are the three programmable
modules in the car.

My cohort believes that the kombi is a display-only unit and that it doesn't effect any traction or dme restrictions. having the abs send data to the dme and not directly to the kombi supports this design theory.

He suggest that the only programs active in the kombi-display-dash are purely informational such as the 'when to shift for efficient dynamics' or ' what gear the car is in' and that any restrictive 'management' programs must be operating in either the ABS module or the DME.

Can anyone confirm that the Chassis/Kombi does not perform any restrictions on the DME/ ABS?

Also Wondering if disconnecting the ABS from both the PT-can and the chassis Can will result in no rev limit. ie the rev limit is coming from the ABS module and not a program on the DME.
Double checked with shop and they've not done this with an e9x as it turns out. So I'll forward your research results here to them and let you know if they know something we don't yet. Thanks very very much for the help!
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #72
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR6 View Post
I have the answer... do you want to exclude every DSC intervention but the ABS?
Deflate a tire, let TPMS light turn on and then don't reset the system.... everything goes off but ABS

At least this works with euro TPMS (indirect version)
Dangit, and the whole TPMS systems was just ripped out and discarded. Wonder if this works on cars in the states.
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #73
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
You're one of the lucky ones. It depends on your software version. Several members here (e90post) with LSD have reported non-intrusive e-diff activity, and they're often the ones who have avoided software updates from the dealership.

Traction control always fully disengaged. I can hear and feel the brake pulses by the e-diff when throttle is added during extreme slip angles and slides. It manifests as a rough vibration through the chassis and is quite loud at times.
I had exactly the same experience. I have a mechanical LSD installed in my 2011 128i (Canadian) and without any recoding, did an autocross and with DSC fully disabled by the 3 second push, you can absolutely feel the brakes / ediff fighting aggressively. I would characterize mine exactly as the same as yours - "rough vibration / quite loud". I am going to attempt the recoding today to remove DIFF_LOCK, FLR, FBS, and BB_RAB and will attempt another event to see if there is any improvement.

Mark

Edit - had the coding done this afternoon. Here is the complete before trace and the pertinent modules I changed. Looking forward to trying out an autocross to see if this improves the issues I had above.

Code:
Codes changed in DSC module: (these are the "after" values)

C0F_DIFF_LOCK
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_FBS
	wert_00
C0F_FLR
	wert_00
	wert_02
C0F_BB_RAB
	wert_00
Code:
Stock TRC file for 2011 BMW 128i (Canadian edition, 07/10 build date) DSC module:

SZL
	wert_02
C0X_C8
	wert_02
C0F_AFH_HSA
	wert_01
C0F_AFS
	wert_00
C0F_ASC_AMR_STB
	wert_03
C0F_ASC_BMR_STB
	wert_02
C0F_ASL
	wert_00
C0F_BAUART
	wert_02
C0F_BB_RAB
	wert_01
C0F_BBV
	wert_00
C0F_BBV_KORR_HA
	wert_00
	wert_03
C0F_BBV_KORR_VA
	wert_04
C0F_BERGAB_GERASTET
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_BERGAB_KENNEN
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_BERGABANSATZ
	wert_00
C0F_BTM
	wert_00
C0F_CBC
	wert_00
C0F_CF_ESM_HB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_CF_ESM_LB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_CR_ESM_HB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_CR_ESM_LB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_DBC_MIN_AUSLOESEDRUCK
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_C_AAT
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_C_ATT_SCHUB_AUS
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_C_ATT_SCHUB_EIN
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_DTC
	wert_00
C0F_DELTA_PSI_BETA_LIMIT
	wert_01
C0F_DF_DIR
	wert_02
C0F_DIFF_LOCK
	wert_02
C0F_DRUCKMODELL_HA
	wert_02
C0F_DRUCKMODELL_VA
	wert_02
C0F_ECBA_DCC
	wert_00
C0F_FBS
	wert_01
C0F_FLR
	wert_01
C0F_GETRIEBE
	wert_00
C0F_GMB
	wert_00
C0F_GMK_ECBA_HA
	wert_01
C0F_GMK_ECBA_VA
	wert_03
C0F_GMR_MAX_LIMIT_SCHRAEG
	wert_00
C0F_GMR_MIN_LIMIT_SCHRAEG
	wert_00
C0F_HSA
	wert_02
C0F_HSA_AFH_AFU
	wert_00
C0F_IPM_MAX_P_RES
	wert_00
C0F_KUEHLSCHACHT
	wert_02
C0F_LCL
	wert_00
C0F_LENKWINKELKENNLINIE
	wert_03
C0F_LF_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LR_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LUEFTER
	wert_00
C0F_LWK_X2
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_X3
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_X4
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y1
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y2
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y3
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y4
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_M_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_MIN_DRUCKAUFBAU_GRAD
	wert_00
C0F_MOTOR
	wert_05
C0F_MOTOR_LEISTUNG_MAX
	wert_00
	wert_18
C0F_MOTOR_SCHLEPP_P
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_PRE_MSR
	wert_00
C0F_PRE_USC
	wert_00
C0F_RPA
	wert_00
C0F_RPA_SCHWELLE
	wert_01
C0F_SC_X_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_SC_Y_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_SCHUBABSCHALTUNG
	wert_00
C0F_SDR_CTC
	wert_00
C0F_SETZ_V_MAX
	wert_00
C0F_SPURWEITE
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_SST
	wert_00
C0F_TB_BDD
	wert_01
C0F_THETA_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0
	wert_03
C0F_UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2
	wert_03
C0F_UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_0
	wert_00
C0F_UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2
	wert_00
C0F_UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE
	wert_00
	wert_02
C0F_V_EINHEIT
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_NEG_FEIN
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_NEG_GROB
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_POS_FEIN
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_POS_GROB
	wert_00

Last edited by lowside67; 08-20-2016 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #74
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
You're one of the lucky ones. It depends on your software version. Several members here (e90post) with LSD have reported non-intrusive e-diff activity, and they're often the ones who have avoided software updates from the dealership.

Traction control always fully disengaged. I can hear and feel the brake pulses by the e-diff when throttle is added during extreme slip angles and slides. It manifests as a rough vibration through the chassis and is quite loud at times.

Good to know, 5% doesn't leave much room at all!

I really had high hopes the e-diff would stop intervening as brakthru reported. I used the same v41 DATEN files as he did... Anyway, I'll look at the data values and report back.
I know it's been a while since my last update. About a month after i thought i conquered the ediff/adb/traction control issue, the problem returned. At the time, I was experiencing misfire issues. After replacing plugs and coils, I decided to reset adaptions and variants. For some strange reason, my car reverted back to its previous state of traction control preventing the wheels from putting the requested power down. You can only imagine how I felt having brakes intervene again and power cuts at the limit with dsc completely off. The ecu will brake any wheel necessary front or back to keep the car going in the direction of your steering inputs. Ecu controlled brake pressure is seamless sometimes but, other times could be abrupt. Either way, the vehicle is slowed down.

I back tracked and redid everything. I reflashed DSC90 data file 6776067 in winkfp and recorded with ncsexpert. I used the v41 Daten files. I repeated this process over the months also using v54 files with no success. Be cautious when updating a module with winkfp. You don't want to brick an ecu like I did. Winkfp wasn't the problem. My laptop gave me an issue right in the middle of the flash. So, I have a new dsc unit installed.

I officially don't know how to stop traction control from braking a wheel or power cuts. It seems to me the brakes are already pretensioned even when just driving down the road ready to react to a possible loss of traction. I had new stock turbos installed which gives me some wheel spin from a 1st gear launch without a problem once 15 psi of boost kicks in at 3500 rpms. Thats only because i have a jb4 and mhd. No wheel spin on stock boost. The rear brakes still limit power with braking pressure while the wheels are spinning.

The good news is I have learned how to code a little more fun in the drive. On the MK60_87.COA module, it's COA_SDR_CTC or just CTC for cornering traction control. Theres only 2 values for this. Ncsexpert shows wert 01 data 00 selected by default. I decided to add custom data value 01 to see what happens. Well, it basically turns corner traction control off. Going around corners is a lot of fun now. It allows just enough drift before you break to much traction and get into trouble. Nice controlled drifts. The car will hold the drift with braking pressure. If you push the accelerater while in the corner or drift at the limit, the car will stop applying power until your back on a safe path. Everything is happening so fast, you don't really realize to a huge degree that power was gradually reduced to assist with getting out of the corner safely.

Although the computer will help you, be careful. Even the M2 has safety features while dsc is completely off. You can through that car into corners at over 100 MPH and the ecu controls the car perfectly. Letting you have fun and making you feel awesome. BMW has done this intentionally from my research. Safe and fun. CTC off gives a little more freedom with DSC on too.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #75
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I had exactly the same experience. I have a mechanical LSD installed in my 2011 128i (Canadian) and without any recoding, did an autocross and with DSC fully disabled by the 3 second push, you can absolutely feel the brakes / ediff fighting aggressively. I would characterize mine exactly as the same as yours - "rough vibration / quite loud". I am going to attempt the recoding today to remove DIFF_LOCK, FLR, FBS, and BB_RAB and will attempt another event to see if there is any improvement.

Mark

Edit - had the coding done this afternoon. Here is the complete before trace and the pertinent modules I changed. Looking forward to trying out an autocross to see if this improves the issues I had above.

Code:
Codes changed in DSC module: (these are the "after" values)

C0F_DIFF_LOCK
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_FBS
	wert_00
C0F_FLR
	wert_00
	wert_02
C0F_BB_RAB
	wert_00
Code:
Stock TRC file for 2011 BMW 128i (Canadian edition, 07/10 build date) DSC module:

SZL
	wert_02
C0X_C8
	wert_02
C0F_AFH_HSA
	wert_01
C0F_AFS
	wert_00
C0F_ASC_AMR_STB
	wert_03
C0F_ASC_BMR_STB
	wert_02
C0F_ASL
	wert_00
C0F_BAUART
	wert_02
C0F_BB_RAB
	wert_01
C0F_BBV
	wert_00
C0F_BBV_KORR_HA
	wert_00
	wert_03
C0F_BBV_KORR_VA
	wert_04
C0F_BERGAB_GERASTET
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_BERGAB_KENNEN
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_BERGABANSATZ
	wert_00
C0F_BTM
	wert_00
C0F_CBC
	wert_00
C0F_CF_ESM_HB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_CF_ESM_LB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_CR_ESM_HB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_CR_ESM_LB
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_DBC_MIN_AUSLOESEDRUCK
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_C_AAT
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_C_ATT_SCHUB_AUS
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_C_ATT_SCHUB_EIN
	wert_00
C0F_DCC_DTC
	wert_00
C0F_DELTA_PSI_BETA_LIMIT
	wert_01
C0F_DF_DIR
	wert_02
C0F_DIFF_LOCK
	wert_02
C0F_DRUCKMODELL_HA
	wert_02
C0F_DRUCKMODELL_VA
	wert_02
C0F_ECBA_DCC
	wert_00
C0F_FBS
	wert_01
C0F_FLR
	wert_01
C0F_GETRIEBE
	wert_00
C0F_GMB
	wert_00
C0F_GMK_ECBA_HA
	wert_01
C0F_GMK_ECBA_VA
	wert_03
C0F_GMR_MAX_LIMIT_SCHRAEG
	wert_00
C0F_GMR_MIN_LIMIT_SCHRAEG
	wert_00
C0F_HSA
	wert_02
C0F_HSA_AFH_AFU
	wert_00
C0F_IPM_MAX_P_RES
	wert_00
C0F_KUEHLSCHACHT
	wert_02
C0F_LCL
	wert_00
C0F_LENKWINKELKENNLINIE
	wert_03
C0F_LF_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LR_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LUEFTER
	wert_00
C0F_LWK_X2
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_X3
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_X4
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y1
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y2
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y3
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_LWK_Y4
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_M_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_MIN_DRUCKAUFBAU_GRAD
	wert_00
C0F_MOTOR
	wert_05
C0F_MOTOR_LEISTUNG_MAX
	wert_00
	wert_18
C0F_MOTOR_SCHLEPP_P
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_PRE_MSR
	wert_00
C0F_PRE_USC
	wert_00
C0F_RPA
	wert_00
C0F_RPA_SCHWELLE
	wert_01
C0F_SC_X_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_SC_Y_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_SCHUBABSCHALTUNG
	wert_00
C0F_SDR_CTC
	wert_00
C0F_SETZ_V_MAX
	wert_00
C0F_SPURWEITE
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_SST
	wert_00
C0F_TB_BDD
	wert_01
C0F_THETA_ESM
	wert_00
	wert_01
C0F_UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0
	wert_03
C0F_UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2
	wert_03
C0F_UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_0
	wert_00
C0F_UNTERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2
	wert_00
C0F_UNTERSTEUERSCHWELLE
	wert_00
	wert_02
C0F_V_EINHEIT
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_NEG_FEIN
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_NEG_GROB
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_POS_FEIN
	wert_00
C0F_VERZOEG_POS_GROB
	wert_00

I know what you mean. Even with the DSC module completely disconnected, I still had intervention of some sort when launching and when cornering.

Coding off ediff does have less intervention but the car still still applies brakes at any wheel or reduce power when nearing the limit of adhesion. Maybe it's ASC effecting DME. Or maybe there is base coding in the DME that kicks in when the dsc module is disconnected. Wheel speed sensors probably still active along with other sensors reporting info.

Last edited by brakthru; 10-31-2016 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #76
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
I know what you mean. Even with the DSC module completely disconnected, I still had intervention of some sort when launching and when cornering.

Coding off ediff does have less intervention but the car still still applies brakes at any wheel or reduce power when nearing the limit of adhesion. Maybe it's ASC effecting DME. Or maybe there is base coding in the DME that kicks in when the dsc module is disconnected. Wheel speed sensors probably still active along with other sensors reporting info.
Coding off the ediff completely eliminated any interference when losing traction and DSC is off. The coding worked absolutely perfectly.

Mark
      11-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #77
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
The good news is I have learned how to code a little more fun in the drive. On the MK60_87.COA module, it's COA_SDR_CTC or just CTC for cornering traction control. Theres only 2 values for this. Ncsexpert shows wert 01 data 00 selected by default. I decided to add custom data value 01 to see what happens. Well, it basically turns corner traction control off. Going around corners is a lot of fun now. It allows just enough drift before you break to much traction and get into trouble. Nice controlled drifts. The car will hold the drift with braking pressure. If you push the accelerator while in the corner or drift at the limit, the car will stop applying power until your back on a safe path. Everything is happening so fast, you don't really realize to a huge degree that power was gradually reduced to assist with getting out of the corner safely.
If you hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds, on a 135i, all systems like ASC, DSC, TC, and CBC (corner braking control is what it is called on the 1m) are supposed to be defeated. Not sure how "track mode" on the M2 works though...

I am kind of surprised you found a "CTC" function in a different module that still applies some sub-level of intervention. As I posted previously, it doesn't look like the CBC function is even programmed for use in the 135/128i's DSC software (post 57)... CTC might be a sub-function of the ASC function?: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...y_control.html

Maybe you can try experimenting with re-enabling "CTC" and going back to the MK60.COC module and disabling "ASC" there? see how the car drives then? I'd bet with DSC enabled and ASC disabled (via coding) you'd get the same driving experience as you are now with DSC enabled and this "CTC" function disabled...

Quote:
It looks like YarkoDrives pointed out that "Brake Standby (e84_EVB)" is called "Ready Alert Brake (C0F_BB_RAB)" on an E82.
Did you ever code off Brake pre-tensioning when you did your coding? The car literally does pretension the brakes when you lift off the gas quickly...

Also, isn't it common for a rumbling vibration to be caused by a mechanical LSD sometimes? Maybe you're just feeling your LSD at work lol?

Maybe you can get in touch with fe1rx or review his Ohlins suspension thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=177. He used a method to actually graph the intervention of the e-diff. Maybe you could do the same and determine if the brakes truly are being applied? It would be beneficial to everyone to figure out how the modules all play with one another and to have some actual quantitative data to analyse to show the coding is doing what everyone here anticipates it is...

Last edited by bNks334; 11-01-2016 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #78
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Coding off the ediff completely eliminated any interference when losing traction and DSC is off. The coding worked absolutely perfectly.

Mark

Good to hear.

I will say that wheel spin is no problem after the new turbos in 1st or 2nd gear! I'm pretty satisfied with the way the car drives now. It's not perfect. I kind of feel like I have the best of both worlds. I can drive on the ragged edge around corners usually without trouble. There was one instance where I was speeding around a sharp corner doing over 60 mph and I went WOT like an idiot. Thank God acceleration didn't increase until I started coming out of the bend. It was as if I never hit the accelerater. Traction control has its benefits especially when you do something foolish like I did. I definitely have the ability to break the car loose just not as easy to spin the car out of control like before.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #79
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:

Mark
Do you remember exactly which lines you coded and to which parameters? From what I recall, the eDiff has three parameters to select from, and I could never figure which was on and which was off...and did you code any of the other functions out? Thanks!
      11-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #80
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Do you remember exactly which lines you coded and to which parameters? From what I recall, the eDiff has three parameters to select from, and I could never figure which was on and which was off...and did you code any of the other functions out? Thanks!
Yes, here is my post on the subject:

Eliminating e-Diff & Other Nannies

Mark
      11-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #81
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
If you hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds, on a 135i, all systems like ASC, DSC, TC, and CBC (corner braking control is what it is called on the 1m) are supposed to be defeated. Not sure how "track mode" on the M2 works though...

I am kind of surprised you found a "CTC" function in a different module that still applies some sub-level of intervention. As I posted previously, it doesn't look like the CBC function is even programmed for use in the 135/128i's DSC software (post 57)... CTC might be a sub-function of the ASC function?: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...y_control.html

Maybe you can try experimenting with re-enabling "CTC" and going back to the MK60.COC module and disabling "ASC" there? see how the car drives then? I'd bet with DSC enabled and ASC disabled (via coding) you'd get the same driving experience as you are now with DSC enabled and this "CTC" function disabled...

Did you ever code off Brake pre-tensioning when you did your coding? The car literally does pretension the brakes when you lift off the gas quickly...

Also, isn't it common for a rumbling vibration to be caused by a mechanical LSD sometimes? Maybe you're just feeling your LSD at work lol?

Maybe you can get in touch with fe1rx or review his Ohlins suspension thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=177. He used a method to actually graph the intervention of the e-diff. Maybe you could do the same and determine if the brakes truly are being applied? It would be beneficial to everyone to figure out how the modules all play with one another and to have some actual quantitative data to analyse to show the coding is doing what everyone here anticipates it is...

I have a 335i with the MK60 COA module which basically has the same function and parameters as the other MK60 modules. I agree that a long press of the dsc button should disable everything.

I played with ASC in the past but it didn't seem to yield any different results even with CTC enabled. Disabling the pretension didn't stop ASC intervention from my findings although it may help on the track.

For testing purposes, ive taken sharp corners and a variety of driving situations including wet roads to experience the cars behavior. I don't notice any rumbling effect on my setup. In fact, it's hard to tell there is any intervention. It's really a smooth slowing down process. I dont really notice anything is happening until i stomp down on the accelerater at the apex of certain corners. That's when I notice Im getting some assistance. On some occasions I might experience a quick pulse of the front brake to control oversteer or inside brake of the rear wheel to control understeer. For the most part, I can toss the car around and have fun in it. Keep in mind, no one should be hitting the gas on sharp corners track or street.

Im not a professional driver so maybe I should just leave well enough alone. I can spin the wheels without a problem. Just knowing there is some minor torque reduction keeps me wanting more.

Last edited by brakthru; 11-02-2016 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #82
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have a 335i with the MK60 COA module which basically has the same function and parameters as the other MK60 modules. I agree that a long press of the dsc button should disable everything.
I see what you mean now. My 128i used .coc. My 135i uses .coa too like your 335i does... I thought you meant you went into one of the other 10+ modules in the DSc family instead of the "main" one we are all editing.

There are definitely different nannies depending on model. The OP has an X1 and many of his functions were titled differently... Your car very well could be programmed with an additional function the 1 series doesn't get.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #83
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Are all of you running TPMS on your wheels for autox/track?

Although I coded off the e-diff, it is still very much active and intervening as usual in the corners. There's no TPMS in my track wheels, and I'm wondering if this is causing the ECU to override the disabled e-diff coding and reverting to default for safety reasons.

Btw, thanks for the update brakthru
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #84
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have a Canadian car which does not use TPMS sensors on the wheels.

Have you re-downloaded the ECU to verify you are actually setting the codes for the e-diff to off? There have been reports of people who get all the right results for the car being coded but because of version issues the car never actually "takes" the new setting that is being written to it.

Mark
      12-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #85
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
My car protests and shows a blinking warning light (!) on the dash when running wheels without TPMS sensors. Does yours?

Yes, the coding was verified afterwards and confirmed properly written to ECU. Which leads me to suspect that TPMS sensors are needed for e-diff coding to remain off, at least with U.S. cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #86
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

Quote:
My car protests and shows a blinking warning light (!) on the dash when running wheels without TPMS sensors. Does yours?

Yes, the coding was verified afterwards and confirmed properly written to ECU. Which leads me to suspect that TPMS sensors are needed for e-diff coding to remain off, at least with U.S. cars?
Nope.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #87
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
Nope.
Yea +1 on the nope.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 02:24 AM   #88
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Talking

Great info on this thread, big thanks to everyone who contributed here so far!

I've got my laptop set up for coding last week and coded my TPMS out and put euro FTM in place; justpete -- you could remove $2VB from your VO, add $265 to your VO and code a couple more things to enable the euro FTM if you want to try out AlexR6's method.

I've also coded C0F_DIFF_LOCK to wert_00 + wert_01, however it's too early to tell if it has really done what we intended it to do, but I will be able to have a better idea in late March when I have some time on the skidpad with my new data logging setup configured! I also plan on coding out FLR, FBS and BB_RAB.

Also, I've connected with a local 1m owner who has agreed to let me read his DSC module next weekend. I will post the output here once I get it

Last edited by dbronnik; 02-13-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0