BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

DSC coding parameters

A lot of this has been covered in other posts (see https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1#post20442321 , for example) but I wanted to discuss wrt the 135i and explore what is the collective knowledge of what all these parameters actually do and what should we turn off on the track.

I think this discussion needs to be revived as the accessibility of coding these parameters just became a lot easier with Bimmergeeks ProTool (No, I am not a paid endorser...) vice needing a properly configured laptop with multiple programs and the correct datens to do this (or pay someone).

Here is what Protool exposes in Standard Mode and what appears to be default from what I have learned on the interwebs:

DIFF-LOCK E-Diff ON
FLR Engine Power reduction (for brake overheating) ON*
SST Soft Stop Braking OFF
FBS Fading Comp.(adds hydraulic assist) ON*
RPA Flat Tire Monitor (instead of TPMS) OFF
CBC Cornering Control OFF
LCL Lane Change Logic OFF
ASL Trailer Stabilization OFF
PRE_MSR Torque Control OFF
AFS AFS Installed OFF
BB_RAB Ready Alert Braking (pre-tensioning) ON*
TB_BDD Brake Disk Drying ON*

I don't have an LSD so the asterisked parameters above are what I disable for the track, consistent with https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...1#post20442321. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Here is what Protool exposes in Standard Mode and what appears to be default from what I have learned on the interwebs:

DIFF-LOCK E-Diff ON
FLR Engine Power reduction (for brake overheating) ON*
SST Soft Stop Braking OFF
FBS Fading Comp.(adds hydraulic assist) ON*
RPA Flat Tire Monitor (instead of TPMS) OFF
CBC Cornering Control OFF
LCL Lane Change Logic OFF
ASL Trailer Stabilization OFF
PRE_MSR Torque Control OFF
AFS AFS Installed OFF
BB_RAB Ready Alert Braking (pre-tensioning) ON*
TB_BDD Brake Disk Drying ON*
A lot of this comes down to differences of opinions as to how much the car should be in control. For a beginner, some of these functions are extremely useful. They are also great for street driving. The logic is well written, for the most part. Our DSC unit is complex. An instructor will want the cars logic to be in place as they get whipped around the track by an inexperienced driver lol A lot of BMWCCA HPDE events don't let you turn DSC off in beginner or lower intermediate run groups.

With that being said, there is also the thought process that as you advance on the track you should be learning how to manage things like brake temps, fluid temps (and the resulting change in pedal feel), and pad knock-back (necessitating a pre-tension before a corner). Those are things that start separating driver skill at upper levels... along with things like heel-toe, trail braking, tire management, etc. BMWS programming on these cars is street oriented and so is the ABS hardware so drivers find these functions to be lacking as they advance in driving technique.

FLR - Turn off. Aftermarket pads and fluid will change the OE thresholds as to when you might experience brake fade. You should be managing brake temps by feel not by a computer algorithm. Car will go into limp mode too.

FBS - Turn off. The car boosting hydraulic line pressure throughout a 20minute track session can result in an inconsistent pedal feel. You should be learning how to manage brake fade yourself by extending brake zones etc..

TB_BDD - Turn off. I am not sure what this even does. I notice nothing different in the rain.

RPA - Turn on because none of us have TPMS in our track tires lol.

DIFF-LOCK - Turn off if you have a mechanical diff. Off is the standard position on the 1M which comes with a visolok LSD.

SST - This is not something that should not have any affect on track driving. If your car has it "on" then you can turn it off I suppose.

Last edited by bbnks2; 06-21-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 4
AndyW665.50
beattiecj125.00
semaj9.00
      07-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
MINIz guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i STX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
RPA - Turn on because none of us have TPMS in our track tires lol.
RPA isn't TPMS, but rather Flat Tire Monitoring (FTM). This relies on the ABS sensors monitoring wheel revolutions, rather than a sensor in the wheel. It requires a little more than setting to active, as the VO needs to support it.

I coded what Mark did in his thread and everything went fine. I only have a 128, but I compared it to my buddies' 128 at the same autocross event and we both felt a noticeable difference in power with my nannies coded off.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Subscribed for later when I get the BimmerGeeks Protool
      08-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #5
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

There is also an emergency brake assist that for sure needs to be turned off. Track driving will trigger it all the time and it will apply extra brake force to the ABS limit every time. Super sketchy.

Leave on the E-Diff on and change rear pads often. Turn all the rest of it off is my philosophy.
Appreciate 0